Book and Television Parallel

Katrina1968

Raven, I cant tell you that I'm more surprised at myself. I always knew I was nosey, but I have NEVER come out with 20 questions like this before. Must be the intelligent people I'm talking to;)

My reading and telly watching are pretty parallel. I mean, I do watch different things but let it be a BBC classic, I'm on it!

Edited by Katrina1968

I think I watch a mixture of television (comedy, drama, crime, reality etc) and read a mixture of books (drama, crime, romance etc). I guess a good example is that one of my favourite shows at the moment is True Blood and I adore the Sookie Stackhouse novels so I guess there's some parallel there :D

(Hope you don't mind me moving this to the TV section.)

I enjoy reading historical fiction and crime thrillers - both of which appeal to me when it comes to film and TV. I love docudramas set in ancient Rome or gritty crime dramas that focus on the forensics, or on the workings of various agencies. I also adore vampires in every kind of media. :D

I don't think there's much of a parallel at all between my reading and TV habits. I enjoy a variety of both but don't necessarily watch every sci-fi or BBC adaptation just because I like to read those books. And although I'm starting to enjoy to crime and mystery novels a lot, that won't impact on the fact that I never watch crime/mystery on TV (apart from Dexter).

Come to think about it - not a single bit.

This is in no way a conscious decision, but actually I tend to watch things that are as far removed from my reading material as could be. Reading-wise I mostly devour Spec Fic (fantasy, horror, science fiction), and steer well clear of things like crime and chick lit. Yet, my favourite shows include CSI Miami, Law and Order, The Gilmore Girls.

I officially make no sense.

I think I watch a mixture of television (comedy, drama, crime, reality etc) and read a mixture of books (drama, crime, romance etc). I guess a good example is that one of my favourite shows at the moment is True Blood and I adore the Sookie Stackhouse novels so I guess there's some parallel there :D

I'd say I'm the same, I watch and read a big range, so never stick to one particular thing, but if I like a book and there's a tv show of it made, it's likely I'll watch it :D

If anything, the opposite is true with me. I don't watch that much TV, but what I do watch tends to be soap operas (EastEnders and Casualty), some of the American stuff (Ugly Betty, Desperate Housewives), and the odd documentary. At the moment I am enjoying the one about the man who spent the summer on his own in the Yukon. I also watch thing like Panorama and the like.

When it comes to books I love to read about other cultures and other places - books like the Kite Runner for example, or books that examine human nature (like Dark Places by Kate Grenville) and what makes people tick. I suppose you could say that the soap operas do this to an extent (Housewives and Betty certainly do), but not nearly to the same extent. Television to me at least talks in a totally different language.

Nope. Watch so little TV I sometimes wonder why we have a license.

I like Top Gear, house and moving programmes such as Grand Designs and (Re)LocationX3, and most things with Jamie Oliver in it (loving his latest travelogue, or should that be cookalogue)

Don't watch any crime drama, as I frequently find adaptations of books at best disappointing.

Not really, but maybe that's because I read a lot of fantasy, and that's a genre you don't really see much of on TV.

Even though I loved Buffy and Angel on TV, I haven't read any of the novel tie-ins.

I also adore vampires in every kind of media. :irked:

I guess a good example is that one of my favourite shows at the moment is True Blood and I adore the Sookie Stackhouse novels so I guess there's some parallel there :D

Same here.....I'm interested in all things vampire so I read books and watch tv shows about them. However, this is pretty much where the parallel ends for me. I don't watch a lot of tv but apart from True Blood, everything else I watch tends to be documentary based. I love anything by Nick Broomfield, travel based or architecture/property based :)

(Oooooh I also have a thing for romantic period dramas when I'm home alone.....but Sshhhhh! Don't tell anyone :D)