Story Settings

Katrina1968

Here's a question. Are there any particular places, settings, countries that where you like your books/stories to take place? I mean, I love reading books set in English villages, Ireland and Scotland (pretty much any place U.K.) in a rural area.

When I read books that are set in the US, I tend to pick books that are small town or have a village feel (At Home in Mitford, Jan Karon, type of stuff)

I am very fond of books set in India, and I'm not sure where that fondness comes from. I have no inclination to want to visit the country, but I'm always drawn to both novels and travel books about it. Any book in the shop that I catch a glimpse of that even vaguely looks like it might be set there will automatically be picked up, and if it looks remotely interesting, I will buy it, even ahead of others I might have specifically gone in to buy.

I'm none too fond of reality so any location will do if it shares a border with Faerie or similarly far-fetched land (i.e. the villages in Hope Mirrlees' "Lud-in-the-Mist" and Neil Gaiman's "Stardust", but also the London of Gaiman's "Neverwhere").

Although I must say, the best setting ever for me was in Walter Moers' "The City of Dreaming Books", which is set in Bookholm aka The City of Dreaming Books - a sort of fantasy Hay-on-Wye made up entirely of antiquarian bookshops and printers' shops above and book-filled catacombs below.

At the risk of sounding extremely boring, I like books that are set in Wales, mainly because I've come across so few of them and it's nice to see little old Wales mentioned in things :blush:

Too right it is. Boring? Gotta be kidding. Why do you think I moved here? (Don't answer that:roll:) Have you read Jampot Smith?

Edited by honestfi
spelling....

Too right it is. Boring? Gotta be kidding. Why do you think I loved here? (Don't answer that:roll:) Have you read Jampot Smith?

No I haven't! I read Shake! last which was based in North Wales and want to read The Earth Hums in B Flat which is also set in Wales, although they're fictional towns, it's still nice!

I know John Williams has a big series of books based in Cardiff, so they're currently sat on my Waterstones wishlist :lol:

No I haven't! I read Shake! last which was based in North Wales and want to read The Earth Hums in B Flat which is also set in Wales, although they're fictional towns, it's still nice!

I know John Williams has a big series of books based in Cardiff, so they're currently sat on my Waterstones wishlist :lol:

Right, I don't do TBR, but methinks I will hunt down Shake!...at some point.:lol:...until I forget.

I like reading books set in Canada. It is such a beautiful country with many different landscapes. I think a beautiful setting helps enrich the story. I also love it when Canada gets a little shout out :lol:

Unfortunately, the only books set in Canada are written by Canadian authors and don't get much press time :lol:

I'm not that fussy, but I do tend to enjoy reading books set in Eastern Europe and the Balkans. I think this is because the setting is real, but is alien to me, and also given the recent histories of these areas, because there's always political flux and ethnic tensions and weird despotic leaderships, it creates for fascinating tensions and plot lines that can't come from sedate anglo-saxon settings. (I think this is also evidence of why I don't tend to like mild-mannered traditional books of characters and emotions. I want things and stuff happening and weirdness).

I really don't mind where a book is set, as long as it states the location at the beginning. I don't like reading a book and presuming it's set in the UK for example, then a few chapters in finding it's set in France or USA or somewhere completely different. As long as it's clear from the start :lol:

One of my favourite settings is the setting of Wuthering Heights - it's so atmospheric and I just want to be there when I read it. I also like books that are set in places I know - particularly Manchester.

• 1 month later...

I like the 'Wuthering Heights' moorland atmosphere too, but I also like stories that take place next to the sea. Preferably with smugglers lurking among the craggy coastlines and storms going on throughout!

Edited by Echo
fixed spelling and punctuation