Foreign food

Maureen

Gee I ran out of adventure some years ago. I pretty much will not try anything new unless tied down and forced to do so. I am at and age where I know exactly what I like and what I don't like, and don't have room for maybe.

I have tried most of what the others have tried, including raw fish and squid and various shell fishes, a few exotic insects, deer, and discovered I like what is referred to as American Southern comfort food. That would be the food that chokes the arteries but is a great way to go, such as Southern fried chicken with mashed potatoes and pan gravy, corn on the cob with lots of butter, pan corn bread, and strawberry shortcake for desert.

On my wife's side (Hispanic) I love her Chile Verde, re fried beans, Spanish rice, and of course pork tamales.

I like to BBQ baby back ribs with twice baked potatoes, and a fruit salad.

I like to make Chinese stir fry vegetables along with my version of Pork fried rice.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definately steer clear of eating any insects, I have dissected locusts and cockroaches when I was a biology student and you don't wanna see their insides believe me!!!

Crab, lobster and shrimp are crustaceans so don't worry they are not insects. I generally avoid things like shellfish (I call them the alternative name of "bottom dwellers") as they tend to filter their food from the sea and hence any nasties that are dumped in the sea. Avoid buying your shellfish from anywhere near a sewage outlet!!! :D

Weird stuff that I have eaten includes frogs legs (tasted like chicken to me but fishy aftertaste), crocodile (or was it alligator?) (tasted like chicken to me again but fishy aftertaste) and mountain oysters or sweetbreads (sheep's balls - I didn't know this when I was eating them!) I have attempted to eat chicken's feet but just couldn't stomach it. I thought that maybe they would be chopped up a bit but they just arrived on the table completely whole and looking like they had been scratching around in the dirt a few hours ago!

II have attempted to eat chicken's feet but just couldn't stomach it. I thought that maybe they would be chopped up a bit but they just arrived on the table completely whole and looking like they had been scratching around in the dirt a few hours ago!

Yukk and double yukk!

hence frogs and crocodiles taste the same :D:haha::D

I just don't think I could eat a heart Galactic, I do love sage and onion with meat though.

I think the weirdest thing I've ever eaten was sea urchin. I do love foreign food (foreing to the US that is). Thai, Mexican, South African, Japanese (as long as it's not moving on my plate), South American, and definitely Middle Eastern.

I was a very strict vgetarian for about 11 years or so and that really helped to open my horizons to new foods and ethnicities.

What brought my vegetarianism to a crashing halt: A damn hot dog:motz: . Are those really meat....?

That's not foreign to us! In fact this summer I have made spaghetti with sea urchin sauce a lot of times.......and we eat sea urchins evey time we go snorkelling.

How do you eat sea urchins while you are snorkeling. :D

actually maureen, I remember you telling about making the spaghetti with sea urchin sauce. I was too embarrassed to ask about it as I had never had that before.

How do you eat sea urchins while you are snorkeling. :haha:

actually maureen, I remember you telling about making the spaghetti with sea urchin sauce. I was too embarrassed to ask about it as I had never had that before.

:D to your first comment and why? to your second. We talk about anything on this forum...and we are never embarrassed. Take me - I am always asking this that and the other!! :D

To make the Sea Urchin sauce is dead easy - the hard work is getting a lot of sea urchins, cracking them open, and scooping out the edible flesh. (or you can buy it - some fish mongers are getting the urchins and selling it themselves, ready to mix in glass containers) Then as soon as the pasta is ready, toss in some crushed olives, a good amount of olive oil, fresh chopped basil, and the urchins. Mix and eat!

... You don't want to know :D

Well, had my hearts yesterday! Mmmm, so very tasty!

Oh, and I forgot an item off my list from before. I have also had lamb brains! Sounds nasty, but pretty nice. Soft, like marrow!

Enough of that. Go to your room. Yuck!!! :D:haha:

• 5 months later...