Foreign food

Maureen

The list of things that have been in my mouth? -- prolly not proper for this forum.

However, I do love the adventure of trying new foods.

I've eaten the tacos cooked on hot rocks on Mexico and sampled the pride of Hong Kong in many a store-front restaurant. I swear, they cooked sausages in lard in Scotland and I downed that with a bowl of corn flakes and a cold beer.

New York pizza and San Francisco clam chowder in bread bowls, New Mexico green chile stew and sopaipillas filled will honey -- I love it all.

And yet, my mouth, my body, my throat rejects raw fish -- sushi is a major food craze and I gag, turn red and spit it out. I tried!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOKK said,

I swear, they cooked sausages in lard in Scotland and I downed that with a bowl of corn flakes and a cold beer.

Depends where you were in Scotland, but I'm afraid we have a reputation for poor eating here. It is improving, slowly and I doubt that lard is used much these days, although in lorry cafes, who knows! LOL:)

WOKK said,

Depends where you were in Scotland, but I'm afraid we have a reputation for poor eating here. It is improving, slowly and I doubt that lard is used much these days, although in lorry cafes, who knows! LOL:)

(Smiles) I spent 10 wonderful days in Scotland, first doing a show at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival then up to Loch Ness. I noticed a LOT of Indian Restaurants!

• 4 weeks later...

My favourite foreign foods would probably have to be Thai (Laab Gai, and Pad Thai!) and Chinese. But I think it also depends where you eat it. I've had Chinese food in Holland, and it tastes completely different - quite bland. Similarly, I've had Indian food in the UK, and it tastes completely different from Indian in Australia.

I like sushi as well, but only when it's made properly. Mexican food is scrummy as well. :D

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
depends how weird Andy. No way will I go to Thailand and eat fried insects.....:shudder:

Hmm, not sure they eat fried insects in Thailand. I'm married to a Thai and I lived there for quite a long time but can't ever remember seeing fried insects on the menu.

Lots of other lovely things to eat in Thailand anyway without worrying about eating insects.

Re.Thailand & insects, never saw any on a menu as such, but carts came around the streets selling grasshoppers & other delights, many Thai people bought a bag (like buying a bag of sweets) my sister-in-law tried some & said they were ok, I personally wouldn`t risk it! :)

Sue, have a look here and here

A friend of mine, who went on holiday there told me that he came across kiosk like stands selling them.

Yes you're right, I asked my OH last night and he said they are very popular in the North East, hence why I didn't see them in Bangkok although I admit I think I remember seeing a street seller selling a sort of locust but I never tried them. I've just come back from there and didn't see them selling any this time. But then, the cuisine is changing dramatically towards Western food and authentic good Thai food was getting difficult to find.