Abby's Reading Log (started 2009)

AbielleRose

I think I just might do that. I'd love to hear those stories too! :smile2:

Oh no! Now you have me worried that I may have prematurely judged a book by its cover! That's Bookworm 101! 'Never judge a book by its cover.' At least that's what my very pretty leatherbound handbook says...

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no! Now you have me worried that I may have prematurely judged a book by its cover! That's Bookworm 101! 'Never judge a book by its cover.' At least that's what my very pretty leatherbound handbook says...

I don't think it counts if you judge it in a positive way...? If you would've judged that the book will be awful because of the title, you'd be missing the chance of perhaps finding the best ever book! :smile2:

That is very true. To be honest, I avoided reading many books at first because I thought the titles were cliche or boring. The one that immediately comes to mind is Secrets by Robin Jones Gunn. I was given the book by a very dear college friend of mine, but just couldn't muster up the interest to read it for a while. She writes this charming little Chick Lit series set in Oregon (mainly) called The Glenbrook Series. All the books are named Secrets, Whispers, Echos, Sunsets... etc. Not original in the least, but once I finally cracked it open and read it I was hooked!

Well there you go, one should always keep their mind open. I think we agreed on this same topic ages ago already, I always think it's really nice to notice people who'd try anything new and not just go for what they feel comfortable with. I myself haven't always felt too keen on trying out unfamiliar genres but I've been pushing myself for a while now and there are only positive sides to it :smile2:

I agree. :smile2: The world of books is so vast, we need to explore and try new things in order to stretch our imagination and discover.

If you don't mind me asking, what genres don't you prefer? From what I've noticed you reading you seem to really get into the classics so I could guess you're not too much for the science fiction category.

If you don't mind me asking, what genres don't you prefer? From what I've noticed you reading you seem to really get into the classics so I could guess you're not too much for the science fiction category.

I like contemporary writing as well, I've been reading a lot of classics now partly because of the Rory challenge and 1001 Books challenge, although I do enjoy classic for other reasons, too. But you guessed correctly, I'm not very familiar with science fiction. I've been wanting to try it out for a while (just so that I could at least say I've tried) but I just feel like I don't have the brain for it, it's too technical and too complicated. I also don't think I'd enjoy all the details of machines and such, I prefer people :smile2: Maybe I just need to find really good titles and great recommendations *wink wink!*

Another genre which I'm novice at is the war genre. For so long I used to think that wars are just cruel and boring, and how could anyone make it seem interesting? Guns go off, people get killed or wounded. And this for 400 pages? No thank you. But then I decided to read this Finnish war classic around the time of Finland's independence day and I really enjoyed it, and I even found it funny at times, the characters were really juicy. And of course there was description of war in Gone with the Wind and you know how much I liked it. So I've realised I've been missing out these great novels just because I assumed they'd be boring. Tut tut!

Otherwise I can't think of any other genre I would steer clear of.

I like contemporary writing as well, I've been reading a lot of classics now partly because of the Rory challenge and 1001 Books challenge, although I do enjoy classic for other reasons, too. But you guessed correctly, I'm not very familiar with science fiction. I've been wanting to try it out for a while (just so that I could at least say I've tried) but I just feel like I don't have the brain for it, it's too technical and too complicated. I also don't think I'd enjoy all the details of machines and such, I prefer people :smile2: Maybe I just need to find really good titles and great recommendations *wink wink!*

Another genre which I'm novice at is the war genre. For so long I used to think that wars are just cruel and boring, and how could anyone make it seem interesting? Guns go off, people get killed or wounded. And this for 400 pages? No thank you. But then I decided to read this Finnish war classic around the time of Finland's independence day and I really enjoyed it, and I even found it funny at times, the characters were really juicy. And of course there was description of war in Gone with the Wind and you know how much I liked it. So I've realised I've been missing out these great novels just because I assumed they'd be boring. Tut tut!

Otherwise I can't think of any other genre I would steer clear of.

Gone with the Wind is a great work, but unfortunately I just didn't get into it. I still feel confident when I say it is probably one of the best novels ever written, just not my cup of tea.

I agree with you on the Si Fi thing. It took me a long time to get into it (I still consider myself a novice). Fantasy is more appealing to me because I love the idea of magic and beauty that the worlds of Harry Potter and The Mortal Instruments series are able to create. I grew up always wanting to escape from my world and family and go somewhere the exact opposite- so I went to Narnia and had an adventure with the Pevensies.

War books are good, but I prefer the true stories. Night by Ellie Wiesel is one of the most powerful and emotional works I've ever read. WWII really interests me, in particular.

If you haven't read Night or Harry Potter I'd really encourage you to. Something tells me you would find Night just as powerful as I do and you would probably enjoy Harry Potter because its more about people and their lives instead of the world they are in. The world becomes real because of the characters.

The late reply on my part is BF's fault, he insisted that we watch the movie Helter Skelter (which was awfully boring anyway, he fell asleep halfway through it and I was so annoyed because I didn't want to watch it and yet I was wide awake!).

So you gave up on GWTW? Totally understandable if you didn't get into it, there would've been no sense in going through with it just for the heck of it, the novel being so incredibly long. Maybe you'll try it another time and will enjoy it more then :smile2:

I agree with you, fantasy is much more enjoyable and appealing than science fiction. Whenever I hear the word 'fantasy' I think of great adventures, intriguing storylines and incredible events and characters, whereas with sci fi I think 'depressing, cruel, dark, machines, no hope'. Now, which one do you think I'd go for? :smile2:

You've read Night by Elie Wiesel, and really liked it?? Cool! The book's on Rory's list and I've tried to track it down for ages. Maybe I'll get it one day. Glad there's another great novel waiting to be read on the list ;)

I've read the Harry Potter books and they are just amazing in every which way. Too bad there won't be any new Potter books to be read :blush: The books are so fantastic, the reader can't help but bond with the characters, they are so well constructed and portrayed.

I felt my heart broke when Snape died :D He was one of my favorite characters and I always believed he was on the good side. I'm beginning to tear up just as I think about it.

I completely agree with you when

Snape dies! That was so sad, and during the epilogue my heart clenched a bit when They announced the named of Harry and Ginny's kids and they gave his youngest the name of Albus Severus. *Tear*

J.K. Rowling is such a sheer genius to have come with that world and execute it in such a fantastic way.

That is so weird you watched Helter Skelter last night because there was a refrence to it (Both the Beatles song and the movie) in the show I was watching and I wondered if you had gotten around to seeing the movie yet! :D I know you bought the book a while back, did you read it yet?

If you liked Harry Potter than I would highly highly highly reccommend The Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare. The first book is City of Glass (followed by City of Ashes and City of Bones). Its a rather short series, but the world she has managed to create is sort of like Buffy the Vampire Slayer meete Harry Potter. Its incredible!

Yeah I think

it was really nice of Harry to acknowledge Snape in that way. And he at some point realised his own father James wasn't as heroic and great as he'd thought he'd been, he'd been teasing Snape in school to get Lily's attention etc. I'm glad Harry got to see that, and that there were characters who weren't just 'good' or 'bad', but were more complicated than that.

I finished reading Helter Skelter Saturday night, that's why we watched the movie yesterday, I wanted to finish the book before watching the movie. BF has been hassling me all week to finish the novel quick :D I enjoyed the book, although it's not the best true crime book I've read and it was a bit too detailed at times. There were so many characters to the Manson Family that if I'd only watched the movie I don't think I could've followed the store so well, I was getting confused eventhough I'd just read the book :smile2:

Oooh, Buffy meets Harry Potter sounds good! The titles of the individual books sound familiar, maybe I've seen the novels around in the library or the bookstore. I'll certainly look around for them, thanks for the tip :blush:

That reminded me of Trudi Canavan's The Black Magician trilogy, have you read it? The blurb of the first novel sounded intriguing when I found the novel in a secondhand bookstore some time ago, I had to buy the whole trilogy. I haven't actually had time to read it yet though, but I've heard some people on the forum have really enjoyed it :smile2:

Oooh, Buffy meets Harry Potter sounds good! The titles of the individual books sound familiar, maybe I've seen the novels around in the library or the bookstore. I'll certainly look around for them, thanks for the tip :smile2:

They are really great and unique. The author recently sold the movie rights so hopefully we'll be seeing it on the big screen soon! She is working on another series set in the same world as the Mortal Instruments and the first book is set to come out pretty soon. I can't wait! :smile2:

Glad you liked Helter Skelter. I've been considering reading it myself but right now I seem to be buying 10 times more books than I'm reading :D Maybe somewhere down the line I'll get to it.

They are really great and unique. The author recently sold the movie rights so hopefully we'll be seeing it on the big screen soon! She is working on another series set in the same world as the Mortal Instruments and the first book is set to come out pretty soon. I can't wait! :she:

Wow that's really good news for you :lol: I was at the library yesterday and was thinking of you and the book series but I didn't have the name down so I couldn't check out if the library has the books =/ But there's always next time :exc:

Glad you liked Helter Skelter. I've been considering reading it myself but right now I seem to be buying 10 times more books than I'm reading :yahoo: Maybe somewhere down the line I'll get to it.

I know how you feel, I just got another batch of new books this week, TBR is growing and growing and it's pretty scary :lurker:

I know how you feel, I just got another batch of new books this week, TBR is growing and growing and it's pretty scary :D

It is scary! If this keeps up I may need to get a bookcase after all, my window ledge is going to be half way to the top with books soon! :lol:

I got Push by Sapphire, The Complete Beatles Chronicle by Mark Lewisohn, and Stories I Wouldn't Tell Nobody But God... by Rasheed Clark in the mail today. I plan to start the Beatles one today but will wait until I'm done with Heresy for the others.

Yay for ever-growing TBR piles! :lurker:

That reminded me of Trudi Canavan's The Black Magician trilogy, have you read it? The blurb of the first novel sounded intriguing when I found the novel in a secondhand bookstore some time ago, I had to buy the whole trilogy. I haven't actually had time to read it yet though, but I've heard some people on the forum have really enjoyed it :lurker:

I have all three on the TBR pile, so I hope they are good.

I've put aside Heresy and my new shiny Beatles book for the day in favor of Echoes by Robin Jones Gunn. Its a book I picked up about 7 years ago for the first time and have proceded to read several times a year since. It's part of an 8 book series called The Glenbrooke Series which follows the lives of a group of women and tells each of their own personal love stories. Lauren, the heroine of Echoes, has always been my favorite character from the series. She is very accident prone and tends to find herself in absolutely crazy situations (much like myself :lurker:) so I find it rather easy to relate to her.

Since I can practically recite the book from heart it will be an easy read on this lovely, lazy Sunday afternoon :D

It is scary! If this keeps up I may need to get a bookcase after all, my window ledge is going to be half way to the top with books soon! :D

I got Push by Sapphire, The Complete Beatles Chronicle by Mark Lewisohn, and Stories I Wouldn't Tell Nobody But God... by Rasheed Clark in the mail today. I plan to start the Beatles one today but will wait until I'm done with Heresy for the others.

Yay for ever-growing TBR piles! :)

I'm pretty sure you'll have invest in a bookcase at some point... :D

Glad to hear you got your batch of books! I hope you've had loads of time to read this Easter and hey you've still got whole Monday ahead of you, you lucky you! It's already 6 PM here, tick tock tick tock must get reading soon!

I have all three on the TBR pile, so I hope they are good.

Well it had better be good then! :);)

Glad to hear you got your batch of books! I hope you've had loads of time to read this Easter and hey you've still got whole Monday ahead of you, you lucky you! It's already 6 PM here, tick tock tick tock must get reading soon!

You'll be proud to know that I am getting some good reading in this evening, frankie... though I also just bought 4 new books... :) Oops...

Okay, I've lived in this town for 5 years now, been to our local mall countless times and only tonight I discover we have a BOARDERS in there! What a bad bad bookworm I am to have not known this! Needless to say I investigated and well, they were having a buy one get one half off sale so I got Columbine by Dave Cullen, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and a new copy of Wicked by Gregory Maguire.

I've read Wicked before but its one I would like to try again as I am partial to the Broadway Musical version of the story. Columbine is one I've been really eager to read as I have always had a little obsession with the shooting that happened there. It is tragedy that has always touched me deeply whenever I read or hear about it. The other two are titles I've seen around here a few times and the reviews/comments I've read all sound really favorable, so they get to get thrown onto mount TBR, too. :D

I will not buy more books...I will not buy more books...I will not buy more books...I will not buy more books...I will not buy more books...

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and a new copy of Wicked by Gregory Maguire.

I disliked The Alchemist but loved Water for Elephants. I have also moved Wicked nearer the top of my TBR pile because I want to see the musical soon but I can't until I've read the book! :)

And how on earth did you miss seeing Borders? :D Our Borders stores are always over three levels. Is yours big too?

Even I knew SF had a Borders, Cali, and I don't even live there! :D

Sounds like you made a haul though! I need to try reading Wicked one day. I've only read one Gregory Maguire and I'm sorry, but I hated it :). I think it was Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister.

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on The Alchemist. Its a rather small book so hopefully it will be worth the read, if not at least I can justify it by saying I got it half price :D

Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of Wicked the first time I read it either peacefield, mostly because I am a huge fan of the musical and the book is quite a bit... racier than the stage version of the story. It is worth a read to anyone who is a fan of fantasy and/or The Wizard of Oz. This time around I am going to try reading it without any preconcieved notions and try to be more open with the story because I want to go on to read Son of a Witch and other Maguire novels.

If I remember right I think you reviewed or discussed somewhere Water for Elephants, Kylie and you were the one who got the title stuck in the back of my head. ;)

The Boarders isn't big at all! Its just a tiny, smaller than most clothing stores sized hole in the wall in our mall next to a watch kiosk where an old friend of mine works. I had stopped to talk to her and noticed it behind her kiosk. She laughed and told me its been here the whole darn time!

I signed up for their rewards program and their email coupons, too. :) Yay Boarders!

Well I'm glad you found it, Cali! Their rewards program is the only reason I buy brand new books pretty much, just because they often have 30 and 40% off coupons they email out :).

I've heard good things about Maguire's books, I just need to try something else I guess. I loved the writing style of Stepsister, but for some reason really didn't like the story itself. Oh well!

I see you're enjoying Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. When you're finished do you think you're going to try Seth Grahame-Smith's Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter book? That was another one I was looking at in there that looked rather intriguing.

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on The Alchemist. Its a rather small book so hopefully it will be worth the read, if not at least I can justify it by saying I got it half price :)

I didn't feel too bad about disliking it because I got it in a 3-for-2 deal so I just pretended The Alchemist was the freebie. :)

If I remember right I think you reviewed or discussed somewhere Water for Elephants, Kylie and you were the one who got the title stuck in the back of my head. :D

Excellent! There are quite a few of us here who have loved it, and I'm sure you will too.

Ah, I can understand how you missed it if it's that small. I was wondering how on earth you could miss a 3-storey shop. ;)

I'd love to read Grahame-Smith's other books, Cali! I even found out the other day that there is a prequel to PP&Z :).

Do they have a Seattle's Best Coffee place in that Borders, Cali? I had coffee there for the first time last weekend and it was pretty good. Oh and the white chocolate chip cookies were yum.

No coffee sadly, this shop is literally the size of an apartment. We did get a Caribou Coffee in the mall though! I don't like them as much as starbucks (I think they use too much sweetener and syrup). Ooh... that sounds delish! *drools at the thought of white chocolate chip cookies* A trip to Seattle would be worth it just to go on a coffee tour or something!