Abby's Reading Log (started 2009)

AbielleRose

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You remind me so much of myself when I was attempting the 'read 3, buy 1' challenge. :D

I'm definitely a Joss Whedon fan. I absolutely love Buffy and Firefly (I never gave Angel much of a chance though for some reason). Dollhouse sounds so interesting; I'd love to see it one day. Did it get cancelled soon after it started?

Dollhouse didn't make it past a second season, unfortunately.

Yeah, ;) I love you Kylie, and I cannot see you sticking with a 'read 3 buy 1' *runs away and hides* That's a compliment, really. :D

Catwoman- Haha, it's a popular series for a reason. There are good concepts and characters but just not for me anymore. I didn't put any spoilers in my review (plus I seriously suck at writing them :D) Hope you like it more than I did.

Yeah, ;) I love you Kylie, and I cannot see you sticking with a 'read 3 buy 1' *runs away and hides* That's a compliment, really. :D

:D And I accept it as a compliment. I think I managed it for a couple of months before everything fell apart. :D

;) And I accept it as a compliment. I think I managed it for a couple of months before everything fell apart. :D

Aww... that's not a bad thing nessecarily! Out of curiosity, what is your TBR pile at right now?

Still working on Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang and really enjoying it. She is just plain hillarious! Despite how much I'm enjoying it, the mojo is still not 100% in gear. I'll read a few pages and then find something else shiny to distract from the story (usually on the computer... aka, I'm spending more time on BCF than reading!)

Maybe I should start doing a 'read 30 minutes spend 10 on the computer' :D

My TBR pile is at 599. I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself for getting under 600. :D

Ooh, I like the 'reading 30, computer 10' idea. I spend way too much time on the internet.

Ooh, I like the 'reading 30, computer 10' idea. I spend way too much time on the internet.

That is a good idea for me to I think. The internet is tricky. All of a sudden you notice that an hour has gone by.

Congrats on being under 600! I wish I had a TBR list like that. Mines only about 20-30 books I think. I need to work on that. :D

I ordered the first three Mortal Instruments from the library after you recommended them to me, and they're now sat on the coffee table begging me to hurry up and finish my current book so I can make a start on them. Abby, your review has given them a louder voice, and I can't wait to start them soon!

Yay! :exc:I can't wait to hear how you like them, Chesil! Its one of my favorite books. :)

I have just read your review of City of Bones and it sounds very interesting, will try and read that, thank you

The series is really unique and amazing. It's definitely worth a read. :D Hope you like it!

Edited by CaliLily

Barnes and Noble was having a big sale so I did a wee bit of impulse book buying this morning and got seven books for only $20.00!!!

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

Sun Stroked by Cathryn Fox

Empress of the World by Sara Ryan

The first 3 books in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series (The Lightning Thief, The Sea of Monsters and The Titan's Curse) by Rick Riordan

The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston and Mario Spezi

And the books keep on coming! I was on the Barnes and Noble website buying the David Tennant's series of Doctor Who and couldn't resist picking up a couple books as well. :lol:

Glass Houses by Rachel Caine

The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud by Ben Sherwood

The Man Who Ate the 747 by Ben Sherwood

:roll:

• 2 weeks later...

AND I bought a few more last night...

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Evermore by Alyson Noel

Nightlight- A Twilight Parody by The Harvard Lampoon

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by Frank L Baum

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

A Little Princess by Francess Hodgson Burnett

Right now I'm reading The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud, Glass Houses by Rachel Caine and Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. They're all really great so far, very different from each other. Charlie St. Cloud is so sad and intense, I really recommend it to all! I originally picked it up after seeing the movie trailer and falling in love with the story through 30 seconds of a moody Zac Effron. Definitely worth it!

Right now I'm reading The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud, Glass Houses by Rachel Caine and Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. They're all really great so far, very different from each other. Charlie St. Cloud is so sad and intense, I really recommend it to all! I originally picked it up after seeing the movie trailer and falling in love with the story through 30 seconds of a moody Zac Effron. Definitely worth it!

I read all 3 recently and enjoyed all of them, hope you do too! :)

Thanks Lexi! I'm sure I will :) I'm already enjoying all of them and looking forward to starting more by each author. :D

Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler

Synopsis:

The hilarious new book from the star of Chelsea Lately and the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea .

Get ready for big laughs as Chelsea Handler lets loose with more comic personal essays. In this new, no-holds-barred account of life on the ridiculous side, Chelsea mines the wealth of material that is her family, her sex life, her career, and her distinctively outrageous worldview. Here is young Chelsea discovering "The Feeling" during a third-grade sleepover and getting shafted by clueless parents over Cabbage Patch dolls...and grown-up Chelsea at the mercy of the remote control, Lean Pockets, and Sex and the City --but still managing to convince her boyfriend that there are Swiss Army knives in the soles of her $16,000 shoes. Through it all, Chelsea never lets anyone off the hook, even herself, as she delivers page after page of irrevent humor, biting wit, and deliciously off-kilter entertainment.

Review:

If you're looking for a book that will keep you in horrified stitches throughout the entire experience than do yourself a favor and pick up a copy Chelsea Handler's hillarious collection of essays, Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang. Handler addresses issues such as her first time seeing male genetalia and her first time getting 'the feeling' in such detail that the reader can only continue on in guilty facination. Caution, some of the descriptions are rather graphic, so don't pick up this book if you get embarrassed easily because you will find yourself blushing!

Personally, I found Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang very entertaining and witty and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good laugh on topics that most of us are too shy to discuss in our daily lives.

Overall, I would rate Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang an 8/10

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like my mojo has finally come back with a vengence! I'm sailing through Glass Houses and can't get enough time to read. :D The first two chapters started off a bit slow but now that I'm a little over halfway through I know that this is a series that will be getting read from start to finish.

Last night while in the mall I picked up Inkheart by Cornelia Funke. I've only heard good things about it so hopefully it'll be some good food for the newly restored mojo!

Yay! Good to hear you're enjoying Glass Houses, Abby. I've read the first six of the series, and they're all really exciting and I couldn't wait to start the next book each time I finished one. I've still got two more on the shelf waiting, but the end of book six seemed like time to take a natural break and catch up with some other books :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Eep! Its been a while since I've posted in here *scolds self*

Lately I've been comtenplating doing a 50 States challenge- reading 50 books each set in a different state. I don't think it would be too hard to track down a book set in each of them (except for maybe Rhode Island... never heard of a setting there). The more I think on it the more I like it :D There is a new Nora Roberts one (well... fairly new... and yes, I know I hate Nora Roberts, but I've been wanting to read this out of shear curiosity) called Black Hills that's set here in South Dakota. The people I know who have read it said that it's horribly cliche (the character's names are overly Native American, no one names their kid Sitting Bull Redhorse these days) but alas, curiosity may get the best of me.

Does anyone have any good recommendations to put on the list? As of right now I'm not sure if I'll be reading in alphabetical order or not- I sort of like historical order (in the order of the states 'becoming' states) and I want to do all fiction if possible. Its too easy to find a historical non-fiction book on each state, I want a story. :)

Edited by CaliLily

I didn't realise The Witches of Eastwick was set in Rhoad Island! Well, I guess I should have as they attempted to make it into a TV show here last year and it never made it past the first season, though I did watch it faithfully. Those New England towns sort of all blend in for me sometimes :D Thanks for letting me know, Chesil! I'll make sure to move that one right to the top of my list :D

I have a Zombie book which is set in Texas called dead City I think. Let me know if you think it is your sort of thing and I'll email you the name etc. I can't think off the top of my head. I also Karin Slaughter seriires is set in Georgia. Jack kerley's books are ser in Alabama. Urm... I know I have more haha.

I have a Zombie book which is set in Texas called dead City I think. Let me know if you think it is your sort of thing and I'll email you the name etc. I can't think off the top of my head. I also Karin Slaughter seriires is set in Georgia. Jack kerley's books are ser in Alabama. Urm... I know I have more haha.

That sounds really good :D I'll have to put those on the list. I believe you've mentioned Karin Slaughter to me a few times.

I won an advanced copy of A Secret Kept by Tatiana deRosnay on Twitter earlier and am really excited to read it. The synopsis is:

The long-delayed resolution of a French family's mystery electrifies de Rosnay's (Sarah's Key) glimpse at the crushing cost of keeping secrets. Parisian architect Antoine Rey and his sister, Mélanie, celebrate her 40th birthday on the island where they vacationed as children with their mother, until she died there in 1974. Upon returning, Mélanie is gripped by a shocking repressed memory and loses control of the car. After a brief spell of amnesia, she tells her brother what it was she remembered: their mother had been in love with a woman. As a skeptical Antoine investigates this twist in their mother's past, an upsetting chain of events unfurls: his daughter's best friend drops dead of a heart condition at only 14 years of age; his teenage son is arrested; and he learns that his father is dying of cancer. Antoine gets support in his quest from a new lover, a Harley-riding mortician who teaches him how respecting death helps one to embrace life. This perceptive portrait of a middle-aged man's delayed coming-of-age rates as a seductive, suspenseful, and trés formidable keeper.

I'm really looking forward to reading this one. The reviews so far are very good, hopefully it holds up! :D

Unfortunately before moving to Fargo I ended up selling off a majority of my books. Most were ones that I had read but with things so uncertian I also sold off some that were on my TBR pile that I really wanted to read. Now that things are starting to settle down a bit I think I'm going to invest in a Barnes and Noble Nook. For employees they're only 119.00 and you have access 100's of free books. With how unstable things tend to be in my life, that may be a good option right now, even though I love the smell and feel of a 'real' book.

A few days ago I bought 2 more books:

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

and

Once a Witch by Carolyn MacCullough

I've been waiting for Clockwork Angel for nearly a year now and started reading it today. It was definitely worth the wait! If you haven't picked up one of Clare's books before then I highly urge you to do so. Her writing style is absolutely brilliant and her stories are unique and unable to be compared to anything else on the market. Her world of Shadowhunters is sort of like Harry Potter meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer, only with angels, demons and shadowhunters (and a few vampires, warlocks, witches, etc, thrown in.)

I've reserved Clockwork Angel at the library because it's in a large format paperback in the shops at the moment, making it £9.99 which is more than I'm usually willing to pay, however, I'm not sure if I can wait much longer, especially with all the twittering going on about it and now you're tempting me even further! You're bad news for my bank balance, Abby! :lol: