Abby's Reading Log (started 2009)

AbielleRose

I am just finishing up chapter 2 of Bitten by Kelley Armstrong. So far the story has definately captured me. I absolutely love Kelley's writing and how she is able to describe the horrible beauty of living a half (wo)man/half werewolf existance.

I'm hoping to spend a few quality hours reading tomorrow so that I can finish it before my copy of Gone with the Wind arrives on Tuesday! :lol:

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recieved Gone with the Wind and Running With Scissors in the mail today and all I have to say is holy :) GwtW is HUGE! The copy I got is the cheap mass market paperback, but it is so thick that the spine is actually pre-cracked! I don't think I've ever seen a thicker MM paperback! *gets a bit intimidated*

I can't wait to read both of them. :lol: Of course, I'll have to finish The Shining and Bitten first (heh... yes, I've been slacking these last 2 weeks :D )

Hopefully I will be able to make a bit of a dent tomorrow on my breaks. I've resolved myself to spend both my lunch 30 min and my supper 30 min breaks for reading so that I can catch up.

I recieved Gone with the Wind and Running With Scissors in the mail today and all I have to say is holy :) GwtW is HUGE! The copy I got is the cheap mass market paperback, but it is so thick that the spine is actually pre-cracked! I don't think I've ever seen a thicker MM paperback! *gets a bit intimidated*

:D This is exactly why I've put off reading it for so long, and why I feel very encouraged that so many people will be reading it with me. It's supposed to be very good, though, so maybe the pages will just fly by without us realising it. :lol:

:lol: This is exactly why I've put off reading it for so long, and why I feel very encouraged that so many people will be reading it with me. It's supposed to be very good, though, so maybe the pages will just fly by without us realising it. ;)

All...*picks up book and flips to last page*... *10 minutes later... 1448 pages?

I'm sure it will be a great read. The story is a classic for a reason. Can you imagine writing all of that in 1936 by either hand or a typwriter?

I am so glad that I'm not reading it alone! The shear size of it makes me want to use it to squash bugs (I wouldn't!) Having a few of you doing it too will keep me accountable!

Mine is 1008 pages long and looks daunting enough! The font is reasonably small though.

For some reason, until very recently I had viewed Gone with the Wind as a bit of chick-lit novel. For starters, I don't think I realised how long ago it had been written (despite having seen the movie :roll:), and I certainly hadn't realised that it had won a Pulitzer Prize.

I think the main thing that contributed to my erroneous view of the book is the look of my own ugly edition. I think it has a picture from the movie, which isn't so bad (although I usually shy away from movie tie-ins), but the font of the title - and indeed of every other edition I've ever seen - is very girly. And my own edition screams 70s/80s style paperback, which I have a particular aversion to. It's just awful, and therefore very off-putting. ;) It seems like a book of such high standards should have a much nicer cover to go with it.

I was going to buy a whole new edition to read, but I can't find a really nice one, so I'll go with my tatty old copy for now.

Sorry to use your book thread for my rant. :lol:

Rant all you want! I like rantage. ;)

I agree with you about copies of books. For me, it makes the read much more enjoyable when I'm reading a copy that I like from the outside in. I don't like movie tie-ins either and try not to buy those.

My copy has the Pulitzer Prize printed on the front but it is in such small print that it would be easy to miss for someone who only glances fleetingly at the title.

We will have to reward ourselves with something nice after reading this! :lol:

Kylie, I've seen some bits of Ren & Stimpy but never liked the show so didn't continue watching. Why do you ask? ;)

All...*picks up book and flips to last page*... *10 minutes later... 1448 pages?

What the f? Is the font size like 4 in your book? And is it half the size of an average paperback? My copy's only 894 pages long. I'm beginning to think that I have only the first section of the book... That would suck.

I'm sure it will be a great read. The story is a classic for a reason. Can you imagine writing all of that in 1936 by either hand or a typwriter?

What, 1936? I thought it had been written in the 60s or thereabouts :lol: I've never seen the movie you see, because I've wanted to read the book first, but I haven't been too keen on reading this humongous novel until now... Also, I didn't know it won a Pulitzer!

What the f? Is the font size like 4 in your book? And is it half the size of an average paperback? My copy's only 894 pages long. I'm beginning to think that I have only the first section of the book... That would suck.

What, 1936? I thought it had been written in the 60s or thereabouts :D I've never seen the movie you see, because I've wanted to read the book first, but I haven't been too keen on reading this humongous novel until now... Also, I didn't know it won a Pulitzer!

:lol: This here is the exact copy I bought.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Gone-with-the-Wind/Margaret-Mitchell/e/9781416548942/?itm=6&USRI=gone+with+the+wind

I encourage you to read the reviews, they definately reinforce the want to read GwtW even though the size seems daunting. :)

Depending on my move next week I may end up waiting until I am completely unpacked before starting this. It may end up being more like a week or two into February, if that's okay.

Your version's cover made me laugh out loud, it looks like one of those harlequin novels for women :D Although now that I've said that, I've taken a look at my own version's cover and it might seem a bit harlequinish as well... I'm just so used to it by now that I don't get phased by it :lol:Here's my copy, it's obviously the drawn version of this picture. The font of the title's totally different but otherwise it's the same thing.

:D I didn't even think of harlequin! Now that you mention it, there is a definite harlequinesque vibe going on!

I like that picture of your cover *makes mental note to watch movie after reading*

BTW, I also got Running With Scissors and am having a hard time not ripping into it. Must...be...paitient... Its rather small (compared to GwtW) so I'm sure it will be a rather quick and easy read.

:lol: I didn't even think of harlequin! Now that you mention it, there is a definite harlequinesque vibe going on!

If you'll turn down the volume of your iPhone/ghettoblaster/mp3-player/boombox you'll hear the book screams Harlequin!! :)

BTW, I also got Running With Scissors and am having a hard time not ripping into it. Must...be...paitient... Its rather small (compared to GwtW) so I'm sure it will be a rather quick and easy read.

I was going to ask what is stopping you but then took a look at some of the earlier posts and saw the Shining and Bitten comments. You gotta finish those asap! Shining takes a lifetime though... :D

I do hope your moving houses goes swiftly next week, you definitely won't be needing any snowy blizzardy distractions! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed hun :)

Kylie, I've seen some bits of Ren & Stimpy but never liked the show so didn't continue watching. Why do you ask? :D

I asked because you wrote 'Happy happy joy joy' which is a song from their show. :lol:

Your covers are both nicer than mine. I'll have to try to track down a pic of mine. Frankie, does your copy have smaller writing? I can't imagine that it would be an abridged version or anything (I'm not sure that they even exist for this book).

I asked because you wrote 'Happy happy joy joy' which is a song from their show. :)

Ah, I thought that might be it. Never heard the song, but I suppose it's a rather common thing to say :lol: I'm beginning to notice that some of our conversations are beginning to sound a lot like Rory&Lorelai's: all the references to books, movies and music :D

Frankie, does your copy have smaller writing? I can't imagine that it would be an abridged version or anything (I'm not sure that they even exist for this book).

I took a closer look at my copy and yes the writing is a bit smaller but another thing that must affect the amount of pages is that the chapters begin right after where the previous one ends, there are no bigger gaps or starting the next chapter in the next page. I suppose it's the regular copy, it just freaks me out that it seems so short. It'll be really weird to compare where we all are when we're reading the book, we'll have to compare the chapters and not the pages.

I took a closer look at my copy and yes the writing is a bit smaller but another thing that must affect the amount of pages is that the chapters begin right after where the previous one ends, there are no bigger gaps or starting the next chapter in the next page. I suppose it's the regular copy, it just freaks me out that it seems so short. It'll be really weird to compare where we all are when we're reading the book, we'll have to compare the chapters and not the pages.

Heh, sorry... couldn't help but giggle when you refered to you copy being 'short'.

Are the two of you pretty fast readers?

I know we're pretty but I don't know about the fast :D

:)

I think it totally depends on whether the story is intriguing enough. I don't think I'm any faster than the average reader though.

:lol: You crack me up Frankie!

I agree. It depends how into the book I am. I think I'm pretty average. I would aim to get through a little over 50 pages per day of this book. I expect it will take me a few weeks to read and I may read other light books beside it to give myself a break (and so I feel like I'm making progress with my TBR pile). I hope I can keep up with everyone!

:D You crack me up Frankie!

I agree. It depends how into the book I am. I think I'm pretty average. I would aim to get through a little over 50 pages per day of this book. I expect it will take me a few weeks to read and I may read other light books beside it to give myself a break (and so I feel like I'm making progress with my TBR pile). I hope I can keep up with everyone!

:lol: @ Frankie

Okay, good. I just don't want to get behind in reading this thing and avoiding the discussions after you guys have finished. I have a few friends who can sit down and read a 500-600 page monster in a weekend without batting an eyelash. I'm definately not one of those people! :)

Okay, my goal for this week is to just finish one book. I don't want to end January having started 3 and not having finished a single one. No. I WILL be finishing Bitten this week. I will finish... I will finish... I will finish...

The story has definately made me a series reader. I love Elena's character and can't wait to see where it all goes from here.

I agree, you need to finish that book! You need one finished read for January, you need to finish it before GwtW and you need to finish so you could tell me how you liked the book overall :) You seem to be liking it so far? Finish it, finish it! You can do it.

• 3 weeks later...

*Is very ashamed she hasn't updated her reading list in a LONG time*

I will need to work on modifying my list this weekend as quite a few books are being taken off due to no longer being avaliable.

One of these books is unfortunately The Shining. I was closing in on the final quarter of the book. Unfortunately that book was one of the most damaged in my recent flood, I picked it up and the whole cover just fell off.

Right now I am working on Gone with the Wind as part of the Rory Gilmore challenge. Scarlet is quickly becoming one of my favorite literary heroines of all time and I'm not even very far in! The book itself is so well written that I feel as if I am right there in Georgia.

I'm glad you're enjoying Gone with the Wind so much. :( I loved the descriptions as well; every time I picked up the book I was immediately transported back in time to Georgia and I could clearly see the scenery and clothing and people. <sigh> :D

I've finally managed to get off my lazy bum and redo my 2010 reading list according to the books that I have left. Here is the finished result and (thankfully) not too much has changed :D

Updated Reading List for 2010

TBR:

1. Phantom of the Opera- Gaston Leroux

2. The Glass Lake- Maeve Binchy

3. Little Women- Louisa May Alcott

4. The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox- Maggie O' Farrell

5. The Historian- Elizabeth Kostova

6. Essays and Poems- Ralph Waldo Emerson

7. The Divine Comedy- Dante Alighieri

8. The House of the Seven Gables- Nathaniel Hawthorne

Yet To Obtain:

1. Bitten (The Women of the Underworld Series)- Kelly Armstrong

2. The Secret History of the Pink Carnation (series) - Lauren Willig

3. The Shopaholic Series- Jane Kinsella

4. The Help- Kathryn Stockett

5. The Inkheart Trilogy- Cornelia Funk

6. Salem's Lot- Stephen King

7. The Divinci Code- Dan Brown

8. Interview with the Vampire- Ann Rice

9. Mr. Darcey's Daughters- Elizabeth Aston

10. The Last Witchfinder- James Morrow

11. The Witches of Eastwick- John Updike

12. Of Mice and Men- John Steinback

13. Mysteries of the Benjamin Society- Trenton Lee Stewart

14. Witch and Wizard- James Patterson

15. Her Fearful Symmetry- Audrey Niffenegger

16. Burned- P.C. and Kristen Cast (to be released in 2010)

17. The Break-up Club- Melissa Senate

18. Oliver Twist- Charles Dickens

19. Nicholas Nickleby- Charles Dickens

20. A Christmas Carol- Charles Dickens

21. David Copperfield- Charles Dickens

22. A Tale of Two Cities- Charles Dickens

23. Great Expectations- Charles Dickens

24. Running With Scissors- Augusten Burroughs

25. Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series- Rick Riordan (borrowed from a friend)

25. The Shack- William P. Young

26. Fallen- Lauren Kate

27. Complete works of Edgar Allan Poe

28. Breathless- Dean Koontz

29. The Last Lecture- Randy Pausch

30. The White Queen- Philippa Gregory

31. Breakfast At Tiffany's- Truman Capote

32. Othello- William Shakespeare

33. Romeo and Juliette- William Shakespeare

34. Brave New World- Aldous Huxley

35. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings- Maya Angelou

36. Sundays at Tiffany's- James Patterson

37. The Shining- Stephen King

38. The Keeper- Natasha Mostert

39. Philippa Gregory - The Constant Princess

40. The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (Barnes and Noble Classics Edition)

To Re-Read

P.S. I Love You- Cecelia Ahren

The Time Traveler's Wife- Audrey Niffenegger

The Mortal Instruments Series - Cassandra Clare

The Complete Works of Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Where the Red Fern Grows- Wilson Rawls

(Titles highlighted in red are books I have purchaced since making this list)

The books that are crossed out are ones I lost to the recent flood. I may or may not put them back on, but right now I'll focus on reading the ones I do have.

I've finally managed to get off my lazy bum and redo my 2010 reading list according to the books that I have left. Here is the finished result and (thankfully) not too much has changed :D

Updated Reading List for 2010

TBR:

1. Phantom of the Opera- Gaston Leroux

2. The Glass Lake- Maeve Binchy

3. Little Women- Louisa May Alcott

4. The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox- Maggie O' Farrell

5. The Historian- Elizabeth Kostova

6. Essays and Poems- Ralph Waldo Emerson

7. The Divine Comedy- Dante Alighieri

8. The House of the Seven Gables- Nathaniel Hawthorne

9. Gone with the Wind- Margaret Mitchell

Yet To Obtain:

1. Bitten (The Women of the Underworld Series)- Kelly Armstrong

2. The Secret History of the Pink Carnation (series) - Lauren Willig

3. The Shopaholic Series- Jane Kinsella

4. The Help- Kathryn Stockett

5. The Inkheart Trilogy- Cornelia Funk

6. Salem's Lot- Stephen King

7. The Divinci Code- Dan Brown

8. Interview with the Vampire- Ann Rice

9. Mr. Darcey's Daughters- Elizabeth Aston

10. The Last Witchfinder- James Morrow

11. The Witches of Eastwick- John Updike

12. Of Mice and Men- John Steinback

13. Mysteries of the Benjamin Society- Trenton Lee Stewart

14. Witch and Wizard- James Patterson

15. Her Fearful Symmetry- Audrey Niffenegger

16. Burned- P.C. and Kristen Cast (to be released in 2010)

17. The Break-up Club- Melissa Senate

18. Oliver Twist- Charles Dickens

19. Nicholas Nickleby- Charles Dickens

20. A Christmas Carol- Charles Dickens

21. David Copperfield- Charles Dickens

22. A Tale of Two Cities- Charles Dickens

23. Great Expectations- Charles Dickens

24. Running With Scissors- Augusten Burroughs

25. Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series- Rick Riordan (borrowed from a friend)

25. The Shack- William P. Young

26. Fallen- Lauren Kate

27. Complete works of Edgar Allen Poe

28. Breathless- Dean Koontz

29. The Last Lecture- Randy Pausch

30. The White Queen- Philippa Gregory

31. Breakfast At Tiffany's- Truman Capote

32. Othello- William Shakespeare

33. Romeo and Juliette- William Shakespeare

34. Brave New World- Aldous Huxley

35. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings- Maya Angelou

36. Sundays at Tiffany's- James Patterson

37. The Shining- Stephen King

38. The Keeper- Natasha Mostert

39. Philippa Gregory - The Constant Princess

40. The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (Barnes and Noble Classics Edition)

To Re-Read

P.S. I Love You- Cecelia Ahren

The Time Traveler's Wife- Audrey Niffenegger

The Mortal Instruments Series - Cassandra Clare

The Complete Works of Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Where the Red Fern Grows- Wilson Rawls

(Titles highlighted in red are books I have purchaced since making this list)

The books that are crossed out are ones I lost to the recent flood. I may or may not put them back on, but right now I'll focus on reading the ones I do have.

Gone with the Wind is going okay. I really enjoy the story but have been too distracted lately to really give it the full attention it deserves. Hopefully I will get a little further today and be able to finish it by the end of February

Edited by CaliLily

Gone with the Wind is going okay. I really enjoy the story but have been too distracted lately to really give it the full attention it deserves. Hopefully I will get a little further today and be able to finish it by the end of February.

I read a few more pages in Gone with the Wind but for some reason I just couldn't get into the story today. All I can think about are other things that need to be done every time I sit down to read. I just can't enjoy it.

Guess we'll try again tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to make a real dent.