Abby's Reading Log (started 2009)

AbielleRose

CaliLily, just in case you miss Kell's post about The Eyre Affair on my reading list, I'd like to give you a heads up: You should definitely read Jane Eyre before reading The Eyre Affair, if you haven't already done so. The Eyre Affair will be so much funnier if you are familiar with the plot of Jane Eyre, otherwise you will miss quite a lot of 'inside jokes' of literary nature. Jane Eyre is a fine book in it's own right as well, so it shouldn't be much of a chore :)

That's a really good idea, thanks Frankie :)

I do own a copy of the book and will definately add it to the list!

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very great members indeed Kell! :roll:

With all this talk about Jane Eyre/The Eyre Affair I'm getting antsy and excited about reading them! The soonest I can (if I follow my game plan) would be March. :D Maybe I'll have to do some shuffling...

With all this talk about Jane Eyre/The Eyre Affair I'm getting antsy and excited about reading them! The soonest I can (if I follow my game plan) would be March. :roll: Maybe I'll have to do some shuffling...

March? Now how do you figure that? Do you have so many books you have to read before you can get to JE+tEA?

:roll: I have yet to finish The Divine Comedy and The Shining for this month and I would also like to read 2 other small easier reads before I begin reading all of Jane Austen's novels in February. I'm not really 'free' until March.

The Divine Comedy is taking me a lot longer to read than I had anticipated because I keep having to go back and reread parts before going on. Its a great work, just slow going.

Wow, what an honour! I'm touched :D I would like to suggest Augusten Burroughs's Running with Scissors, which may not come as a huge surprise to you :roll: But if you do find something else that suits your mood better at that time you may go ahead and read what you wish :D

It's so difficult trying to work out a reading schedule when there are so many books to read, isn't it? I try not to work mine out in advance, but I can't help but have about half a dozen in mind and then feel anxious about getting to them in time. <sigh> I really wish I could reduce my TBR pile.

I see a lot of books on your TBR pile that I want to read, CaliLily, so I look forward to reading your thoughts throughout the year.

Wow, what an honour! I'm touched :D I would like to suggest Augusten Burroughs's Running with Scissors, which may not come as a huge surprise to you :D But if you do find something else that suits your mood better at that time you may go ahead and read what you wish :(

:D Now how did I not see that one coming? I shall pick it up next time I go to the store :lol:

It's so difficult trying to work out a reading schedule when there are so many books to read, isn't it? I try not to work mine out in advance, but I can't help but have about half a dozen in mind and then feel anxious about getting to them in time. <sigh> I really wish I could reduce my TBR pile.

I see a lot of books on your TBR pile that I want to read, CaliLily, so I look forward to reading your thoughts throughout the year.

Oh I know! Its so hard to keep up with book lists because every day new and promising works pop up and need to be added on. I know its weird, but I love making lists. I make lists for just about everything in life (I guess you could say I'm a Rory :roll:). Not that I always end up following them...

I've been lurking your thread too, Kylie and once I have a moment I will be stealing a few from your list to add to my own *rubs hands together and begins evil plotting*

:D Now how did I not see that one coming? I shall pick it up next time I go to the store :(

Oh shoot, I actually somehow thought you already own it. Maybe that friend of yours who was recommending it could lend it to you, so you wouldn't have to go spending money immediately? :D

I've been lurking your thread too, Kylie and once I have a moment I will be stealing a few from your list to add to my own *rubs hands together and begins evil plotting*

:lol: This should be interesting, two List-Loving people coming together :roll: I'm going to lurk in the shadows and see what becomes of this :D

Oh shoot, I actually somehow thought you already own it. Maybe that friend of yours who was recommending it could lend it to you, so you wouldn't have to go spending money immediately? :D

:D This should be interesting, two List-Loving people coming together :roll: I'm going to lurk in the shadows and see what becomes of this :D

Oh don't worry! I actually don't have TV because I have budgeted that money for books (obsessed much?) :lol: I buy a certain amount of books every month on that budget, RWS will be my Feb purchase!

Yes! I have finally found a partner in crime! Hehe... lists are great *does the list happy dance*

Edited by CaliLily

Excellent! We can share thoughts on the books as we go along. You have a lot of great books on your lists, and many that I also want to read.

I admire that you're reading The Divine Comedy. How's it going? I would love to read it but I find it a bit daunting. Is it a difficult read?

:lol: This should be interesting, two List-Loving people coming together :roll: I'm going to lurk in the shadows and see what becomes of this :lol:

:D We will have everyone and everything organised into lists in no time. :lol:

Oh don't worry! I actually don't have TV because I have budgeted that money for books (obsessed much?) :D I buy a certain amount of books every month on that budget, RWS will be my Feb purchace!

Yes! I have finally found a partner in crime! Hehe... lists are great *does the list happy dance*

I should really consider giving myself an allowance for books each month. Maybe that would help curb my spending!

Excellent! We can share thoughts on the books as we go along. You have a lot of great books on your lists, and many that I also want to read.

:lol: We will have everyone and everything organised into lists in no time. :roll:

I should really consider giving myself an allowance for books each month. Maybe that would help curb my spending!

TOP TEN REASONS I LOVE MAKING LISTS

10. They make me feel more organized

9. They make other people think I am more organized than I actually am

8. I never feel the gnawing feeling that I'm forgetting something

7. It gives me an excuse to buy really cute paper

6. Lists have authority - When a mob sees information outlined in a list they instantly acknowledge its authority

5. Rory likes lists and Rory is cool

4. Lists are great for passing time when you are bored

3. I won't go over budget if I follow my list

2. Making a list gives me a sense of accomplishment even before I accomplish the tasks I made the list for

1. I'm more likely to complete a task if I write it down

:lol:

I would really encourage you to give yourself a book allowance. It helps when you walk into a book store and realize that you essentially already paid for your merchandise. Its already out of your paycheck! It makes the book hunt and purchace much more enjoyable without the 'Holy ****! How much did I spend?!'

Edited by CaliLily

Eh, minor detail :roll:

BTW, I'm stealing the 'Rory's List' on your thread and reposting them on here so I can pick over it myself (if you don't mind too much). :lol: What would we do in a world without Gilmore Girls?

Modern:

• A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

• A Quiet Storm by Rachel Howzell Hall

• Autobiography of a Face by Lucy Grealy

• Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie

• Bee Season by Myla Goldberg

• Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

• Brick Lane by Monica Ali

• Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn

• Empire Falls by Richard Russo

• Extravagance by Gary Krist

• Fat Land by Greg Critser

• Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris

• How the Light Gets In by M. J. Hyland

• How to Breathe Underwater by Julie Orringer

• Just a Couple of Days by Tony Vigorito

• Life of Pi by Yann Martel

• Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

• Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides

• My Life in Orange by Tim Guest

• My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

• Nervous System by Jan Lars Jensen

• Old School by Tobias Wolff

• Oracle Night by Paul Auster

• Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

• Property by Valerie Martin

• Quattrocento by James McKean

• Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi

• Rescuing Patty Hearst by Virginia Holman

• Sacred Time by Ursula Hegi

• Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand

• Small Island by Andrea Levy

• Songbook by Nick Hornby

• Stiff by Mary Roach

• The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon

• The Bielski Brothers by Peter Duff

• The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

• The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

• The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

• The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem

• The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

• The Kitchen Boy by Robert Alexander

• The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

• The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

• The Meaning of Consuelo by Judith Ortiz Cofer

• The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri

• The Nanny Diaries by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus

• The Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan

• The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby

• The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

• The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

• The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

• The Song of Names by Norman Lebrecht

• The Song Reader by Lisa Tucker

• The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

• The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters by Elisabeth Robinson

• Truth & Beauty by Ann Patchett

• Unless by Carol Shields

• When the Emperor Was Divine by Julie Otsuka

• Wicked by Gregory Maguire

Classics:

• 1984 by George Orwell

• A Passage to India by E.M. Forster

• A Separate Peace by John Knowles

• A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

• An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser

• Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

• Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

• Beloved by Toni Morrison

• Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

• Complete Tales & Poems by Edgar Allan Poe

• Cousin Bette by Honore De Balzac

• Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

• David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

• Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller

• Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

• Emma by Jane Austen

• Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton

• Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

• Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

• Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

• Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut

• Hamlet by William Shakespeare

• Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

• Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

• Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

• Lord of the Flies by William Golding

• Night by Elie Wiesel

• Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

• On The Road by Jack Kerouac

• One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

• Pygmalion by George Bernard Shaw

• Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

• Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

• Song of the Simple Truth: The Complete Poems of Julia De Burgos by Julia De Burgos

• Speak, Memory by Vladimir Nabokov

• Sybil by Flora Schreiber

• The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

• The Awakening by Kate Chopin

• The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

• The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

• The Code of the Woosters by P. G. Wodehouse

• The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

• The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

• The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

• The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo

• The Jungle by Upton Sinclair

• The Lottery: And Other Stories by Shirley Jackson

• The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

• The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

• The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

• The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

• The Portable Dorothy Parker by Dorothy Parker

• The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

• The Sound and The Fury by William Faulkner

• The Story of My Life by Helen Keller

• The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

• Time and Again by Jack Finney

• Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe

• Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray

Edited by CaliLily

TOP TEN REASONS I LOVE MAKING LISTS

10. They make me feel more organized

9. They make other people think I am more organized than I actually am

8. I never feel the gnawing feeling that I'm forgetting something

7. It gives me an excuse to buy really cute paper

6. Lists have authority - When a mob sees information outlined in a list they instantly acknowledge its authority

5. Rory likes lists and Rory is cool

4. Lists are great for passing time when you are bored

3. I won't go over budget if I follow my list

2. Making a list gives me a sense of accomplishment even before I accomplish the tasks I made the list for

1. I'm more likely to complete a task if I write it down

I love making lists too. FOr all the reasons you outlines above. :roll:

Regarding 'Rory's List': Since stealing it from Kylie I have been playing around with the thought of doing a Rory's List Challenge and reading every book on there. So far there are only a handful that I have read previously so it would be a pretty decent challenge. With my goals already in place for this year I don't think I would set a timeline, just so I can finish what has already been started... mmm... something to mull over...

I have also decided that I will be buying one of those eReaders. After looking into the future (and making a pro/cons list) it just seems like the best solution for me. Every time I move I have to give some of my book collection up, and if I do end up moving farther than the state boarder it would kill me to only be able to take a handfull with me. In order to read the books I want to read and avoid the library (germs! *runs away and hides*) the Barnes and Noble Nook has officially been added to my 'wants' pile. Hopefully the hype surround it is well deserved.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/index.asp?cds2Pid=32280

I love making lists too. FOr all the reasons you outlines above. :lol:

Lists are wonderful little tools. :roll:

Edited by CaliLily

I just added Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls to my list of re-reads.

Out of all the books I read in school I don't think any touched me in the way Where the Red Fern Grows did. Its been probably more than 10 years since I read it so it will definately be getting bumped up to the top of the list :)

I wish I could find a list of all the books we had to read in school so that I could go back and reread them with the eyes of an adult. Certian books like Lord of the Flies I was never able to fully enjoy because at the age of fourteen I couldn't see past the inital story into the deeper meaning behind it. Hmm... maybe I shall see what I can do about making a list of all the books I can remember reading from back then... *ponders*

Read a few more pages in The Shining today. I am really starting to connect with little Danny's character. All of King's characters are so well rounded and have such a real feeling about them. It makes me feel sorry that I haven't read his work sooner.

I hope to finish at least two more chapters today. :D

The Shining is a great novel. Funnily enough, it was the first of this genre that I ever read. I was a mere babe of 13 (mum frowned on sweary scary books until I was an angst-ridden teen). I never looked back.

Prior to this pivotal moment, I'd read LOTR and that sort of stuff, THGTTG and a series of books called The Dark Is Rising by an author called...erm...oh, yeah, Susan Cooper. I adored these books. Hast tha read'em, Girt? :D