How many new buys per year??

Fev

Okay, I went into Waterstones today and actually bought a book. This might seem like a strange statement from someone who professes to love reading (and who spends an awful lot of time browsing shops like Waterstones), but the fact is that I rarely buy brand spanking new books.

I buy a lot second-hand, but more than this I tend to think I should make the most of the hundreds of books already in my parents' house or the public library first. It's not because I'm stingy (well, maybe a bit :)) but it makes buying a new publication a rare treat, and I have to really want whatever book it is.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering how many books other people bought new in an average year...??

I usually like to buy books new, especially if they're part of a series I particularly like, but I do buy a lot in charity shops too. This year I've bought about 52 books and I would say approximately 25% of those were second hand, out of charity shops. :)

I buy a lot of books, both new and used but so far this year I'd say I've probably bought about 115 new books :) I've bought roughly 25 used books as well - mostly stuff that's out of print or hard to find so when I find a copy I have to get it!

I buy probably 30 or so new books per year, and maybe 15 used books. I want to buy more used books, but I find myself splurging on Amazon too often!

I would estimate I buy about 30% of my books new (mostly reduced on Amazon, 3 for 2 at Waterstone's or remaindered at The Book Warehouse, though) and 70% used (from Amazon Marketplace, Oxfam Books or randomly encountered second-hand bookshops). Second-hand shops are a brilliant way of trying out new authors (I'd rather find out I'm not keen on a writer for

Now it comes out, the literary crack-heads who need their new-book hit and those who are content to live with the puff of second-hand books or the methadone fix of libraries, tis a sad business I tell ye!

(I'm down to ten or so new books this year, and a smattering of second-hand titles!).

I buy all my books new ( I have 1 ex-school book coming my way and that's only because it's out of print and I really wanted a copy) and I probably get a book a week sometimes more sometimes less. It all depends on the release dates of the series I'm following or my favourite authors. They all seem to launch all at once though.:)

Last year, about 2/3 of the books I bought were new - around 128 books. The rest were secondhand. While that may sound expensive, most of the new books were either bought from a remaindered store, or bought with gift vouchers or on sale. I probably only buy a couple of books at full retail price each year; it's just too expensive otherwise.

This year, I've bought 114 books so far, but 90 of those are secondhand and 24 are new (again, on sale, remaindered or with gift vouchers). The used books I've bought are as-new in some cases, but obviously very cheap (the equivalent of a couple of pounds each).

The majority of my books that I buy are new. Like others have said, I tend to buy mine from the markets that have all the popular books and rock bottom prices. There used to be a used book shop close to my house, so in a short walk I was able to go get a stack of books for literally nothing. I'm sad its gone. Other than that store, I have never bought used books and the majority are new.

I would say on average about 20-30 new books a year.

I buy practically all my books new. I don't know what it is but I love the smell of new books. When I by them from Amazon I love unpacking the box and actually smelling the new-ness of the books.

I think in the last 12 months I bought about 100 new books, knowing I still have a humongous backlog of bought books to go through, and that I'm buying a new batch in 2 weeks time when I go to London, it's not going to get better

I buy most of my books secondhand and if I didn't have that option I wouldn't be buying so many books as I am.

This year I've bought 121 books of which

- 95 books have been bought secondhand

- 5 books have been new but cost 2e per book in discount

- 1 book I got as new for free with my other purchases (that free book normally costs 16,95e :))

- only 15 have been bought as new and have cost more than 10e. The most expensive book I've bought has been 16-17e.

Edit: Thanks for the interesting thread Fev, it's been intriguing to read how others like to do their bookshopping :D

Edited by frankie

I buy at least two new books a week - mostly online. I do go to the bookshops but I don't like paying full price when I can get all my books at online discount. I trawl the charity shops for (good) copies of books - otherwise I take out one or two library books every 3 weeks.

I used to buy most of my books second hand, however as Play are always having a sale nowadays, I am buying some new ones too. They also have a nice selection as Playtrade - and I've used that as well. I also use the library nowadays, esp for new authors I want to try out.

Question : Which supermarket has the cheapest/better selection in UK?

I refuse to even consider what I spend on books, new or otherwise each year! That path leads to gulping, coughing and sudden hot flushes! :D

It's truly better that I don't know.:)

I totally agree there Chrissy :17:

I used to buy most of my books second hand, however as Play are always having a sale nowadays, I am buying some new ones too. They also have a nice selection as Playtrade - and I've used that as well. I also use the library nowadays, esp for new authors I want to try out.

Question : Which supermarket has the cheapest/better selection in UK?

I'd say Asda has better selection, but Asda, Tesco and Morrisons all do a 2 books for

The Asda closest to me is huge so has 2/3 aisles of books (or did when I was last in) whereas the Tesco is quite small and only has a little area. It is great for the top 20 books though, and occasionally has so great sale books :)