Comments written in library books

SueK

I picked up a book from the Library yesterday evening, only to find that there are comments written in the margin and lots of sentences underlined.

There is a section where two paras have been underlined heavily in pen (not even pencil) and the comment "REALLY?" in the margin. I mean, not only is it so rude to write in books (especially if they aren't yours) but how absolutely arrogant too! I shall mention it to the library when I go back and hope they don't think it was me!!;)

I picked up a book from the Library yesterday evening, only to find that there are comments written in the margin and lots of sentences underlined.

There is a section where two paras have been underlined heavily in pen (not even pencil) and the comment "REALLY?" in the margin. I mean, not only is it so rude to write in books (especially if they aren't yours) but how absolutely arrogant too! I shall mention it to the library when I go back and hope they don't think it was me!!;)

That is rude. I sometimes like it when I find a book that has been well loved, but it sounds like they made a mess of that one :)

Yeah I like it when I'm reading a book for uni and they have highlighted the best parts, particular if it's a teacher's book. But it does sound like they ruined that one. I'm always worried the library will think I've done it.

I annotate my own books heavily but I would NEVER deface a book that wasn't my own property.

I use the library a lot and have to see I do not see it often. I did have a book that said 'did you like this? text me'

I text 'you are an idiot' and they didn't reply :)

It is wonderful coming across heavily annotated books in charity shops though ;)

That is so rude and a waste of perfectly good book, like Adam, I do like to see a well loved book and Stephanie I was the same at college, when books were highlighted, so helpful.

I would also worry what the librarian thought as well ;)

I have a book out from the library at the moment that has half a page ripped out! I was very shocked when I saw it, only a few pages in. Although it was the end of a chapter and there were no words on that section of the page or on the next side I still thought it was very rude ;)

I hope the librarian doesn't blame me for it when I go to return it

Edited by Purple Princess
spelling

When I was a teenager I got a book out from the library. The hard cover was hanging on by a thread and of course while I read it the cover came off. I returned it to the library and my friend got it out later and the librarian had written in it "Destroyed by (my name)".

My maiden name is very distinctive so I hate to think how many people saw that message.

When I was a teenager I got a book out from the library. The hard cover was hanging on by a thread and of course while I read it the cover came off. I returned it to the library and my friend got it out later and the librarian had written in it "Destroyed by (my name)".

My maiden name is very distinctive so I hate to think how many people saw that message.

that is totally shocking! ;)

I don't even write in my OWN books, never mind a library book! I used to very lightly ring errors in pencil (spelling, grammar, if a character had just changed name for no apparent reason - LOL!), but not any more and only ever in my own books.

I was thinking about this very thing the other day!

I'm a library volunteer at our local library. Every 4-6 weeks I collect about 15 books in large print of various genres and take them to a local old folks home and collect the ones I took on my last visit. I write in the front of them (where the date stamps go) "Rose 7/09" (the first bit of the name of the home and the relevant month/year" so that I don't take the book again a few months down the line.

People have all sorts of habits - they put a circle round page number 55 (for example) or write their initials on page 97 - or in the back of the book, or upside down on the second to last page...

I had wondered what this was all about but I know now that it's probably people who go to the library for housebound friends/relatives so that they also don't take duplicate books back.

This, of course, is vandalism but is relatively harmless, I think - and totally different from writing on the text, which is awful!

I'm very mixed in my opinions about this.

Of course I think it's awful if someone deliberately vandalises a book by ripping out pages, scribbling over the writing, or writing unnecessary comments inside the book.

But things like highlighting & light pencil annotations I really don't mind at all. Sometimes they can be quite useful. Once I read a book & a passage was written in Latin. Someone had actually translated the whole passage & it's English version was written in the margin in pencil.

When I used to study poetry & fiction, we would have to analyse so much of the poems & books we were reading I would annotate & underline constantly. But I always did this in my own books & never in books that weren't mine.

I don't mind seeing it though in books I borrow from the library within reason. It gives the books a sense of history about them.

I find it extremely distracting from the flow of the book if it's a story i'm reading. Especially when it's a really important part or intense part of the story. I do like it when a book looks well apreciated and loved, but to me that doesn't just mean it should look used and read, but that it should look well respected and taken care of. A book with ripped pages is not well taken care of!

I think it's important in a study book to have markings because that's the only way, (i find) to get the best out of it, but i would never do it to a liabary book, or indeed any book that didn't belong to me. Athough again, as i metioned before, getting the best out of a book doesn't include ripped pages!

That is awful. I would have complained. :lurker:

I've had books where there were notes in de sidelines, underlyning of major part, dog-eared books(I hate when people do that) and a book which seemed to be used as a coffee coaster.

I hate when people treat library books in those ways don't they realise they're not the only one using them. Makes me sometimes think which none visible things are done to the books

I've had books where there were notes in de sidelines, underlyning of major part, dog-eared books(I hate when people do that) and a book which seemed to be used as a coffee coaster.

I hate when people treat library books in those ways don't they realise they're not the only one using them. Makes me sometimes think which none visible things are done to the books

the mind boggles :s

I use the library a lot and have to see I do not see it often. I did have a book that said 'did you like this? text me'

I text 'you are an idiot' and they didn't reply :lurker:

First off, this cracked me up. Love it, MuggleMagic.

Second, I'd be really annoyed if I got a library book and there were pen markings all in it, especially if all the marking led to a note as unsubstantial as "REALLY??" C'mon now...

Interesting article :lol: I really liked the last part, surprising!

I'm not a fan of people writing in the library books because I find it distracting, especially if the words are underlined. If a textbook is just a bit underlined I don't mind it but I've had to work with textbooks where you could barely see the writing anymore because of how heavily underlined it was, so I'm partial to textbooks too.

I like the library books because they have that "used" look but I do prefer no one writes in them or if they do, just keep it to a minimum.

Recently I bought a book from a charity shop and there was a boarding pass in there which must have been used as a bookmark and it made me think about the person that read it before me. I always find myself wondering what the person who owned the book before me thought of different parts of the book. I find it strange that someone else has read exactly the same words as I do and I'm curious about how they react to these things. I feel the same way when I see notes etc on books but not if they're so bad that you can't read the text easily. Because of this I leave little pieces of paper with my opinions of the book in books that I give back to charity shops along with my email in hope of someone also giving me their thoughts on it :D geeky I know but I think that I'd love it if someone got back to me :D

Recently I bought a book from a charity shop and there was a boarding pass in there which must have been used as a bookmark and it made me think about the person that read it before me. I always find myself wondering what the person who owned the book before me thought of different parts of the book. I find it strange that someone else has read exactly the same words as I do and I'm curious about how they react to these things. I feel the same way when I see notes etc on books but not if they're so bad that you can't read the text easily. Because of this I leave little pieces of paper with my opinions of the book in books that I give back to charity shops along with my email in hope of someone also giving me their thoughts on it :lol: geeky I know but I think that I'd love it if someone got back to me :D

LOL, that is kinda like a modern day message in a bottle, or should I say message in a book :D Neat idea!

I've never been able to write in my own books. I could certainly never do so in other people's books.

Luckily I've never borrowed a book which has had writing or drawings in. But then, I usually only borrow fantasy, and most writing would probably be found in other sections.