Everything Wine

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm attending a veterinary surgery conference in early October in DC, staying in Alexandria, so by all means make some good wine recommendations, and tell me again the name of your favorite wine shop (you mentioned it to me somewhere else :wink: )

(We're having 4 week old lion cubs at the hospital on Saturday. I'll post pics)

The great yearly wine sale at my favorite store for buying wines does not start until, I think, October 16th. The store itself is little more than a hole-in-the-wall. However, it is one of the greatest sellers of wine in Washington, DC and has good wine experts. The prices are usually very good, especially when buying wines on sale that week. The exception, for some reason, is the Nora wine which has the highest price of any store that I buy from. I always do my shopping on their website and then stop in at the store and the wine is ready for pick-up. I usually only buy what is on sale, with exceptions of course. :)

http://www.wineaccess.com/store/calvertwoodley/shop.html

Maureen wrote

Am currently enjoying "Hardy's" Shiraz cabernet savignon from South Eastern Australia............................................mmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had that the other night and it's very nice :) Enjoy!

I hasd their Chardonnay last night (andthe night before and tonight) yummy

ok....picked up two bottles of wine from Portugal....(at the liquor store, not at the country :wink: ) one is called Vinha Do Monte, which translated means Wine of the Hill. Here is what the bottle says: This wine is produced from a careful selection of fine grape varieties of the region, namely Aragones and Castelao. The grapes, picked at their ripest, are promptly transported to our Herdade do Peso cellar. There, after being completely destemmed and softly crushed, they are fermented and macerated in stainless steel vats at controlled temperatures. After malo-lactic fermentation, the wine is matured in oak casks for about six months.

Vinha Do Monte has an intense ruby colour and is characterised by a flowery and fruity bouquet with a tinge of forest fruit and violet aromas, harmoniously combined with hints of vanilla and coconut gained during its maturation in oak. It is extremely smooth on the palate with soft and rounded tannins and an elegant, warm and velvet aftertaste.

for anyone interested :D

the next one is a lot simpler. Another Vinho Verde called Casal Garcia....From the extensive vineyards of the Vinho Verde Region, selected grapes from the best varieties are brought to our winery. The result is Casal Garcia, a young, fruity and delicate white wine, ideal as an aperitif or with light dishes. It should be served chilled.

http://www.portuguesefood.com/acatalog/Casal_Garcia_White_Wine.html

Yes, i am interested. Please let us know how you enjoyed the wine. I assume it is a red wine since it has a ruby color. it sounds a bit unusual for a red to have tastes of vanilla and coconut.

yes...It's a red. I thougth the same thing about the vanilla and coconut...I am VERY excited to try it now!!

meant to mention it is a 2001

the next one is a lot simpler. Another Vinho Verde called Casal Garcia....From the extensive vineyards of the Vinho Verde Region, selected grapes from the best varieties are brought to our winery. The result is Casal Garcia, a young, fruity and delicate white wine, ideal as an aperitif or with light dishes. It should be served chilled.

I have a couple bottles in my cellar. i enjoyed the wine.

Vinha Do Monte

Thanks for the delicious sounding recommendation Sofia. A Portugese red; I mean COULD it get any better? I'll be checking for this one at Total Wine tommorrow.

By the way I gave several bottles of the Vinho Verde as gifts to my docs last week. They were much appreciated.

Vinha Do Monte

Thanks for the delicious sounding recommendation Sofia. A Portugese red; I mean COULD it get any better? I'll be checking for this one at Total Wine tommorrow.

By the way I gave several bottles of the Vinho Verde as gifts to my docs last week. They were much appreciated.

that's great!! A quick note, my dad and brother are in the process of making wine right now.....the main wine they make is a dark red....really dry and strong...but with what's left, they make a kind of watered down wine which is called agua pe...which translated means 'foot water' :wink::D

it tastes a lot better than it sounds....trust me!!

Please let me know which of these two you like the best:

Quinta da Aveleda Avelada Vinho Verde.........or.....

Casal Garcia Vinho Verde

Please let me know which of these two you like the best:

Quinta da Aveleda Avelada Vinho Verde.........or.....

Casal Garcia Vinho Verde

I will....I may be opening it tonite....I have to take a dang parent-education-program that is required for divorcing parents:roll: for 3 hours tonite!! I will NEED the wine after:roll: