The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

RCee

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I read this over Christmas and was really disappointed. I think it was because I arrived after all the hype!

I was thoroughly confused by the first third, which was all about financial corruption and legal proceedings. I was beginning to think, where on earth is this 'thriller' I've been promised?!

Finally, when Blomkvist becomes involved in the murder investigation, it begins to get a bit exciting, if exceedingly contrived. It's pretty graphic throughout, and I'm not a delicate reader at all, but I felt it was rather extreme. I definitely don't want to watch the film! It is page-turner, but not in the same league as The Da Vinci Code, and I find it utterly implausible that the case had remained unsolved for 40 years! I did enjoy it, but not enough to attempt the next book in the Trilogy.

I'm looking forward to the biography of Stieg Larsson, which I think will be much more intriguing!

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the first book, however I will admit it was slow at setting into the 'thriller' aspect of it's genre. I've since read the other 2 books & when I look back I feel that the first book was designed to give an insight to the main characters, more than it was a 'sit on the edge of your seat' thriller about the Vanger family.

The later books focus much more on Lisbeth & Mikael as the leads in the main plot. The first book has provided an insight to their characteristics, their mind set & a look at/into their relationship in its entirety .. the awkwardness, the friendship & such & so forth. (Let's face it, if Lisbeth had been an everyday 'normal' individual she would have been banging her head against a wall, or possibly Mikael's for being a numpty in more ways than one :)).

I'll try not to waffle on, I'd be here forever else! I would recommend all 3 books & I have done to a few friends & family members. I do however warn them the first book may take some getting into, but do stick with it.

I love the characters, even if that is a love-to-hate feeling (naughty Mr Blomkvist, stop being a womaniser! hehe :D). For me the characters, the situations they landed themselves into & the society depicted was thought provoking.

Having read reviews on Amazon, where the majority have enjoyed it, but the volume of uncertain or disapproving reviews are quite numerous I'd say this book is like Marmite, you either love it or hate it. ... & those in the middle can't decide if the bread was off to start with or the Marmite is just evil in a jar :lol:

The DVD for the first book is out at the end of July - I have already pre-ordered my copy. The second film I am told hits UK cinemas at the end of August - can't wait !

The first movie was a real work of art. The next two were just "functional", regular thriller movies--they had a different director. I have the last one paused until I read all the books. I think Hollywood is coming out with their own versions, with Daniel Craig. Meh.

The DVD for the first book is out at the end of July - I have already pre-ordered my copy. The second film I am told hits UK cinemas at the end of August - can't wait !

Ooo me too!

The first movie was a real work of art. The next two were just "functional", regular thriller movies--they had a different director. I have the last one paused until I read all the books. I think Hollywood is coming out with their own versions, with Daniel Craig. Meh.

Urgh, what will be left of the original story or characters once they have touched it, played about with it & classed it as being 're-mastered'. :smile2: I don't hold any hopes for it, but we'll have to wait & see. Plus who would they cast for Lisbeth?

Urgh, what will be left of the original story or characters once they have touched it, played about with it & classed it as being 're-mastered'. ;) I don't hold any hopes for it, but we'll have to wait & see. Plus who would they cast for Lisbeth?

Kristen Stewart has been rumored for the part. Yes, Twilight Bella. :smile2:

From the description in the first book (short dark hair and big eyes) I've been imagining Lisbeth as Sinead O'Connor with goth accessories.

Ah I see ... quite literally, I had to google who she was lol. I'm terrible with names at the best of times but I've avoided Twilight like the plague (even though I may consider the books at some point).

Kristen just looks too much of a 'nice' girl. I'm not convinced she could portray Lisbeth too well. I'm not sure who I'd like to see as Lisbeth, maybe someone like Christina Ricci :smile2:

Ah I see ... quite literally, I had to google who she was lol. I'm terrible with names at the best of times but I've avoided Twilight like the plague (even though I may consider the books at some point).

Kristen just looks too much of a 'nice' girl. I'm not convinced she could portray Lisbeth too well. I'm not sure who I'd like to see as Lisbeth, maybe someone like Christina Ricci :smile2:

Christina Ricci:

article-0-0116CF8B00000578-407_233x341_popup.jpg

The book cover image of the French edition of TGWTDT:

wednesday.jpg

Hi guys. I think Carey Mulligan is up for the Lisbeth Salander role, with Daniel Craig possibly up for the Blomkvist role.

Carey Mulligan is an excellent actress. She was Sally Sparrow in the Doctor Who episode 'Blink' and went on to do some really good stuff. Check her out on IMDb.

David Fincher is apparently directing the film, which isn't a bad choice. A favoured director of mine. Clever chap. Still not seen the Swedish film, but really, really want it.

Lol Punk Sheep, I'd not seen the French cover before! How odd :smile2:.

Mac, just checked out imdb & it's interesting to see Viggo Mortensen also down as a possible Blomkvist. I also didn't realise that it was set for 2012, I was thinking it was late 2011, doh silly me!

OK I'm really confused, and feel a little stupid... but I recently saw this playing at a movie theater here in the U.S. are they making a new one here? I feel lost..

I'm on the second book, and I felt the first one was hard to get into but I liked it enough. I did feel like I figured out the ending early on. do you think that was intentional? or are the characters kinda dim?

I dont know, I liked it enough to finish & pick up the next one.. but I'd love to see the movie!

The one you saw kicking about the states was probably the original Swedish jobbie. I've still got to see that. There is an American remake being...erm...remade at the moment.

Might be alright. :smile2:

OK I'm really confused, and feel a little stupid... but I recently saw this playing at a movie theater here in the U.S. are they making a new one here? I feel lost..

I'm on the second book, and I felt the first one was hard to get into but I liked it enough. I did feel like I figured out the ending early on. do you think that was intentional? or are the characters kinda dim?

I dont know, I liked it enough to finish & pick up the next one.. but I'd love to see the movie!

Hi Mountain Girl, sorry I couldn't reply to the profile visitor message but I don't have enough posts :smile2:

The Swedish movie was really well done. I can't imagine anyone doing Lisbeth after seeing Noomi Rapace own that role.

The Swedish movie was really well done. I can't imagine anyone doing Lisbeth after seeing Noomi Rapace own that role.

I absolutely agree. The girl mentioned above, Carey Mulligan I am not familiar with, so I googled pictures of her, and to me she is too pretty, but it isn't even that so much, she is too soft looking for Lisabeth IMO.

I absolutely agree. The girl mentioned above, Carey Mulligan I am not familiar with, so I googled pictures of her, and to me she is too pretty, but it isn't even that so much, she is too soft looking for Lisabeth IMO.

I'm absolutely inclined to agree (although she has proved to be a versatile actress, so one never knows). What irks me somewhat is the fact that there has to be a remake. I understand that a lot of people don't enjoy watching foreign films with subtitles but, because I loved the books so much, I am a little concerned with how Hollywood will handle the source material.

David Fincher is apparently directing the film, which isn't a bad choice. A favoured director of mine. Clever chap. Still not seen the Swedish film, but really, really want it.

Fincher is a genius! I might've known you were a fan, Mac. Fincher directing means an automatic must-see for me :smile2:.

Carey Mulligan was in 'An Education,' right? I loved her in that.

JCW, I saw Lewis perform with her band 'The Licks' a few years ago and she's quite the character! She makes an excellent front-person to a band IMO.