The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

RCee

I think it depends on the person. I started it a little over a week ago and just haven't been able to get into the story... but then again, quite a few people on here and elsewhere absolutely love the story and have no problem connecting with the characters.

Thanks Abby :)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definitely recommend it Paula. The number of people who love it far outweigh the number who don't, so there's a pretty good chance you'll love it too. :) Just be patient with the first half of the book.

My Review (copied from my reading blog)

I had no idea what it was about before I read it, my wife saw the film without me and told me that she would not watch it again, that it contained more than a bit of nasty violence against women , and she thought I would not like it.

(Then she bought me the book for Christmas. Go figure )

So I could not help but have that in the back of my mind as I read it and viewed it from that perspective.

I found the beginning quite intriguing, and because of the mystery that Blomkvist is engaged to investigate I would have kept on reading to the end anyway. "Practical Pig" Blomkvist I found a bit boring on his own though, and was grateful for the character of Salander, who is far more exciting, I think because she is so amoral.

When I first got to the end of the book I at first thought , yeah, that it was a great book. But then I read The Help, which I found to be truly uplifting which made me lower Dragon Tattoo in my estimation.

You cannot get away from the fact that the subject matter is thoroughly nasty and Salander, fascinating as she is, is a deeply flawed human being.

Reading the second one now, I am hoping the story will take a different direction, but it doesn't look like it will so far.

Edited by vodkafan

I just read briefly through some of the most recent comments, and I can see there is quite a variety of responses. I'll begin by saying that I liked all three of the books very much, but I think the first is the best and worthy of all the attention it got. The other two are good, even great, but the first was special. It had a very satisfying beginning, middle, and end. It had interesting characters, a stunning setting, and didn't get side-tracked, as I think the other two did (especially in all the psychology involving Salander and the political intrigue involving her Father, the defected agent).

I read the Joan Acocella article in The New Yorker, as well as an article in Rolling Stone, both good. But what got me interested in this book in the first place is that a friend of mine who is as voracious a reader as I am and who reads mostly literary fiction, as I do, put me onto it. And, of course, I couldn't dismiss this book's obvious attraction. When a book gets this much attention, I have to look into it. I wasn't disappointed.

What makes Larsson attractive I think is his passionate interest in women's rights and the many offences against women. Michael and Erica are the more or less "normal" characters who espouse Larsson's attitude toward women. Salander is one of the most interesting characters I've ever encountered. She is totally off the wall, but she's very moral in that she always is against injustices especially against women, but injustices against anyone, really. So Larsson also has the always interesting theme of good against evil.

This book has so much. It's a very good story, as they say, a page-turner, and I did just that. It's hard to believe but I actually turned the pages in all of them, it must be about 1200 or 1300 total.

Some other things to note. I very much like Larsson's attention to detail. He tells us what his characters eat, read and do in their spare time. And all the books read like a travelogue of Sweden, a country I'm not too familiar with. The winter scenes in the first book are fantastic.

The second two books are really one 900 page novel. In fact, I had to read the beginning of the third to fully understand how the second really ended. After the third, everything gets tidied up. It's hard to believe what a fourth would have done or much less 7 more which Larsson is said to have had in his mind to write. Nevertheless, I found these three very enticing.

I agree, it's difficult to see where the charactor of Salander could have gone after the 3rd book. It feels like the end of trilogy, not the end of a third book of a possible ten. For me, the one unanswered question was that of the sister.....

Ian

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is, given the Swedish law, which seems a bit outdated if I'm understanding it correctly. Shame on his family too, turning their backs on her like that when she'd been with him for so long (if the stories are to be believed).

It is, given the Swedish law, which seems a bit outdated if I'm understanding it correctly. Shame on his family too, turning their backs on her like that when she'd been with him for so long (if the stories are to be believed).

Ditto. :(

• 4 months later...

Came across this. Stieg Larsson's inspiration for Lisbeth Salander: his own niece!

http://www.dn.se/dnb...anders-forebild

The newspaper sat down with his niece. Turns out she suffered from anorexia & depression when she was younger, and therefor looked younger than she actually was. Also, she used to look a lot like Salander when it comes how to dress and all black make-up etc. She also has been fearless all her life and stood up for the weak against their bullies, even if she had to fend off a big man.

However, she is not as anti-social as Lisbeth, or a hacker. ;)

114014.jpg

Edited by emelee

I finished reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo last weekend and loved the book, couldn't put it down. I immediately downloaded The Girl That Played with Fire and am about 10% through it. Salander is an amazing and unusual girl. Good writing from Larsson.

Came across this. Stieg Larsson's inspiration for Lisbeth Salander: his own niece!

http://www.dn.se/dnb...anders-forebild

The newspaper sat down with his niece. Turns out she suffered from anorexia & depression when she was younger, and therefor looked younger than she actually was. Also, she used to look a lot like Salander when it comes how to dress and all black make-up etc. She also has been fearless all her life and stood up for the weak against their bullies, even if she had to fend off a big man.

However, she is not as anti-social as Lisbeth, or a hacker. wink2.gif

114014.jpg

Aha! She wouldn't admit to being a hacker though would she...?

Not really my kind of book I only purchased them because they were on offer and lots of people seem to enjoy them. After getting them I did think that I would never get around to reading them but they have slotted in nicely into the 2012 genre challenge. I have finished Tattoo and just started Fire, although I did enjoy Tattoo I don't think I would have carried on with the series if I hadn't already purchased them. I found the beginning slow going and the book didn't really pick up until Mikael and Lisbeth met. I was also a little disappointed with the conclusion of what happened to Harriett in that I was expecting it to be more complex. I don't understand the need to the constant references to the many members of the Vagner family there was just an unnecessary number of them especially given that between them all there were only two personalities. Basically I did enjoy the book despite it not being my "thing" although I would have enjoyed it more if it was shorter, less gruesome and had less characters. 7/10

However my interest rapidly faded away as gore and fashionable sexual perversions accumulated.

I was just starting to enjoy the books when this came up and I did think that I wasn't enjoying the book enough to carry on with it but found I still had to read it. I did think it would be nice if these parts of the book were in a different font so people like myself could skim over those bits

:lurker:

Hope there's more Lisbeth, less Mikael! (Sorry I found all the financial/Wennerstrom stuff a bit dull!)

Her parts in the books were definitely more interesting than his and as for the Wennerstrom stuff :sleeping-smiley-009

I felt the same way Easy Reader about the first book after I finished it and reviewed it. I thought the pervy bits were in it for gratuitous purposes. But, I changed my mind after reading the second book. You will enjoy that much more it is all about Salander. After reading all 3 books I felt that Larsson was making a serious point about women in society.

As I live in Sweden, I have seen TV interviews with both Eva Gabrielsson and Stieg's brother. And I must say that his brother seemed far more sympathetic in my eyes than she did. Could not quite put my finger on why, but that is how I felt watching them talk about their side of the matter.

When it comes to the law, it was a mistake for Stieg not to marry Eva if he wanted her to be soul heir. Especially when there was no children. The law is pretty clear. No marriage or children, then the money goes to other close family. It was sloppy at best. I am in no way an expert in the laws, but everyone in Sweden should know this, and most do.

IMHO.

I felt the same way Easy Reader about the first book after I finished it and reviewed it. I thought the pervy bits were in it for gratuitous purposes. But, I changed my mind after reading the second book. You will enjoy that much more it is all about Salander. After reading all 3 books I felt that Larsson was making a serious point about women in society.

I am now on page 70 ish of Fire and am enjoying it so far but I am worrying about the poor girl in the prolouge.

• 1 month later...

I have read all three books and I can see where a fourth book would fit in nicely with the ending of Hornets Nest. I talked my wife into reading the books and she is now on Hornets nest and has enjoyed all of the books but she said that she enjoyed Fire the best, of course though, she hasn't finished Hornets Nest yet and I thought it may have been the best.

• 4 weeks later...

Although slow to get started, I loved this book. My wife, who devours books, was also skeptical. 48 hours later, the book complete, she too was a fan. We're both looking forward to the reading the next two. I was surprised that it started so staid but became so gorey. Surprised and liked it. I wrote about it here . . . http://puborperish.blogspot.com/2012/01/girl-with-dragon-tattoo.html

I just started the second book in the trilogy. I'm already a tad disappointed by the changes (just in the first few chapters) in Lisbeth and the more formulaic writing. I hope it gets better, and as good as the first. There were so many things I liked about Lisbeth, now, she seems more common and conventional. Sigh

I just started the second book in the trilogy. I'm already a tad disappointed by the changes (just in the first few chapters) in Lisbeth and the more formulaic writing. I hope it gets better, and as good as the first. There were so many things I liked about Lisbeth, now, she seems more common and conventional. Sigh

Keep reading dude :lurker:

• 2 months later...

I agree with what a few people are saying about it being a slow start but I would say to keep going with it, I really enjoyed it. I haven't read the other two yet but I certainly plan to. I wrote a bit about it in my blog.

Edited by frankie
removed link

• 1 year later...