What books are you taking on holiday with you?

Inver

Decisions, decisions. What books and how many to take!! I am only away for a week and am not that quick a reader, but hoping to have lots of free time to complete at least one. If I take thinner books maybe I am in with a chance...lol.

Potential books to put in the bag are (or may just take them all):

December ~ Elizabeth H. Winthrop (given to friend for her birthday)

Twilight ~ Stephenie Meyer (if Kenny finishes it!)

The Hat Shop on the Corner ~ Marita Conlon-McKenna (reading at the moment)

Keeping Up with Magda ~ Isla Dewar (thin book)

The Oven House ~ Lynne Rees (very thin book)

Twilight ~ Stephenie Meyer (if Kenny finishes it!)

That might not be a very good idea Inver... From what I gather in other threads, you might find yourself to your chair reading for the whole week :D Wouldn't want to miss out on all the rest, would you? ;)

Im' only going away for a weekend at the end of the month for a wedding. However, it's just me and Xander, so I'll be spending a lot of time in our hotel room while he naps and once he goes to bed at night, so I'll take along a book (don't know which one yet - just whatever grabs my attention when I'm packing (I suspect it will mostly likely be a more recent acquisition though), and a small cross stitch project (I have a couple of small kits to choose from). THat should keep me entertained while His Nibs snoozes! :D

Take December - I've heard great things, and I'm reading it shortly I should think. My holiday is on the 5th of August, but I should get thinking. :D

Ben ~ my friend enjoyed it she said. I gave it for here birthday and put a wee note inside it saying 'I'll borrow this back sometime' and I have.

I just got back from holiday and I read Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer, The Lion's Game by Nelson DeMille and This Charming Man by Marian Keyes all very good but all different from each other.

Was a bit disappointed as my Marian Keyes book was brand new from Tesco but about 6 or 7 pages decided to fall out randomly one day on the beach! Luckily I managed to keep them all safe and have tried to put it back together so my Mum can read it.

Holidays, what holidays? No holidays for me, at least not until until the glorious rays of post-dissertation time (mid-Septemberish) shine down on me, and quite possibly not even then :D... enjoy your summer books!

Hmm well it looks like I will be going to Berlin...so maybe I should read something German...any ideas?

Lucybird, you might enjoy "Alone in Berlin" by Hans Fallada. It's a reprint of a book written just after the War in Penguin books. Really very good if Nazi Berlin is your thing.

Sadly, my holiday is now a distant memory (I've been back two weeks and already forgotten it:irked:). I did, however take a couple of good books which I read in the shade. One was "Sashenka" which I mentioned under the Historical Section, absolutely loved it. This was a long book of around 600 pages so the other book I read was "The Seance" by John Harwood, a Victorian mystery which OK for a holiday read.

Edited by SueK
spelling mistake in title of book

:D I'm going to take a couple of books with me on holiday as I am looking to buy a few while I am away -

Life of Pi by Yann Martel and The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. The Secret Garden was one of my favourite films when I was little and I have never read the book. ;)

Lucybird, you might enjoy "Alone in Berlin" by Hans Fallada. It's a reprint of a book written just after the War in Penguin books. Really very good if Nazi Berlin is your thing.

Thanks Sue, will look that one up :D

I haven't quite decided yet - I will take about 6 from the following though:

The Library of Shadows: Mikkel Birkegaard

The Secret River: Kate Grenville

The Return: Victoria Hislop

Born Under a Million Shadows: Andrea Busfield

The Elegance of the Hedgehog: Muriel Barbery

Late Nights on Air: Elizabeth Hay

Anna Woman of Miracles: Carol Haenni and Vivian Van Hick

Night Train to Lisbon: Pascal Mercier

Kathryn's Beach: Nadine Laman

I've never really been on a holiday anywhere. We did go abroad often when I was growing up, but that was for family visits and after that, I've never been anywhere.

This year however, we're visiting a town at the other end of Holland. It's still not a real holiday, because we'll only spend one night there in a hotel. My children and I want to explore a part of the caves there, visit a puppet museum and enjoy the atmosphere of the town. (and of course be the laughing stock of everyone who sees us)

I can't be without books, but I'm afraid to take any library book because it could get lost in the train or in the hotel. So I'm taking one of my own books. I don't know yet which book it will be.

I've never really been on a holiday anywhere. We did go abroad often when I was growing up, but that was for family visits and after that, I've never been anywhere.

This year however, we're visiting a town at the other end of Holland. It's still not a real holiday, because we'll only spend one night there in a hotel. My children and I want to explore a part of the caves there, visit a puppet museum and enjoy the atmosphere of the town. (and of course be the laughing stock of everyone who sees us)

I can't be without books, but I'm afraid to take any library book because it could get lost in the train or in the hotel. So I'm taking one of my own books. I don't know yet which book it will be.

Have a lovely time Sadya and tell us about it. I hope you find some suitable books to go with the visit.

Have a lovely time Sadya and tell us about it. I hope you find some suitable books to go with the visit.

Thank you. I'm looking forward to it, it seems so exciting. :D

I'm hoping to have the entire Harry Potter series by next weekend so hopefully taking a few of those (and Twilight might just have to be in my suitcase too :lol:)

I read the entire Potter sequense to my daughter and my son listened to parts of it. They really enjoyed it, especially my daughter. I found myself actually liking the books too which came as a surprise actually. The books were much better for me than the movies and my daughter agrees. Though she likes the movies too, her favorites are part three and part five. From the books we both liked part four a lot and personally I think the later parts of the sequence were better than the first two or three.

Though I'm not a fan of the Potter sequence, even I did like them and seeing how much my children enjoy them, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful read. It'll make your holiday even nicer I'm sure. :lol:

I'm hoping to have the entire Harry Potter series by next weekend so hopefully taking a few of those (and Twilight might just have to be in my suitcase too :lol:)

Sounds like the perfect summer reading Stephanie! :lol: I've just re-read the Harry Potter series and I'd forgotten how great it was.

I'm off to London for 2 nights on Thursday so I'm taking The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory for the 3 hour train journey there and back.