SweetiiPie85 Books 2009

SweetiiPie85

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you enjoy Twilight sweetiipie.

The Take by Martina Cole is a great book, if you like it i recommend faceless by her as well.

A prayer for Owen Meany sounds really good so have just added to my wishlist. :lol:

Thanks I will have a look for that one. Let me know what you think of Owen Meany once you have read it :blush:

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

When 17 year old Isabella Swan moves to Forks, Washington to live with her father she expects that her new life will be as dull as the town. But in spite of her awkward manner and low expectations, she finds that her new classmates are drawn to this pale, dark-haired new girl in town. But not, it seems, the Cullen family. These five adopted brothers and sisters obviously prefer their own company and will make no exception for Bella. Bella is convinced that Edward Cullen in particular hates her, but she feels a strange attraction to him, although his hostility makes her feel almost physically ill. He seems determined to push her away ? until, that is, he saves her life from an out of control car. Bella will soon discover that there is a very good reason for Edward's coldness. He, and his family, are vampires ? and he knows how dangerous it is for others to get too close.

My Thoughts

Wow!! I really enjoyed reading this book and I thought it was alot better than the movie. I loved how the story was told in first person from the perspective of Bella - how it gave more detail to how she felt towards Edward and to the way she reacted to certain things he did. The love between Bella and Edward was both poignant and compelling. Twilight is a simple vampire love story yet beautifully written.

Edited by SweetiiPie85

Yes this is the first time I have read the Twilight books :D Have you not read them yet?

Indeed I have! But I just wouldn't mind being able to have the experience of reading them for the first time again :irked:.

Indeed I have! But I just wouldn't mind being able to have the experience of reading them for the first time again :D.

I understand completely :irked: I am quite excited about reading the next three books, I have no idea what happens although have heard a few rumours so I'm eager to find out if they are true :D

• 2 weeks later...

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

I stuck my finger under the edge of the paper and jerked it under the tape. 'Shoot,' I muttered when the paper sliced my finger. A single drop of blood oozed from the tiny cut. It all happened very quickly then. 'No!' Edward roared ...Dazed and disorientated, I looked up from the bright red blood pulsing out of my arm - and into the fevered eyes of the six suddenly ravenous vampires. For Bella Swan, there is one thing more important than life itself: Edward Cullen. But being in love with a vampire is more dangerous than Bella ever could have imagined. Edward has already rescued Bella from the clutches of an evil vampire but now, as their daring relationship threatens all that is near and dear to them, they realise their troubles may just be beginning ...

My Thoughts

This book was just as addictive as the first one and I really enjoyed reading it :lol: The book was amazing and brilliantly written, you could really feel Bella's emotions just as if they were your own. I can be quite a sentimental person and parts of the book did make me feel very emotional :D

10/10

Edited by SweetiiPie85

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

'Bella?' Edward's soft voice came from behind me. I turned to see him spring lightly up the porch steps, his hair windblown from running. He pulled me into his arms at once, and kissed me again. His kiss frightened me. There was too much tension, too strong an edge to the way his lips crushed mine - like he was afraid we had only so much time left to us. As Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob - knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation approaching, Bella has one more decision to make: life or death. But which is which? Following the international bestsellers Twilight and New Moon, Eclipse is the much-anticipated third book in Stephenie Meyer's captivating saga of vampire romance.

My Thoughts

This was another brilliant read and I really enjoyed it :D There was alot more tension in this book - waiting to find out who Bella would choose Edward or Jacob.

Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

The fourth instalment of the twilight saga was good (belive me i have read it 15 times) but i feel that after bellas first book and jacobs book. It is a let down because every character gets what they want nobody loses anything. One of the things that i did not like was that fact that the first chapater is like flash backs and it is no the scene i excepted it to do be from reading the last chapter in eclipse not the treaty. I also feel that the ending is a bit of a let down because i would have iked to have seen Bella leaving Charile to go and live a new life somewhere else. As i think this would have shown how hard it is for Bella to leave her human conections behind. However apart from the few bits that i was disaponited about i would say althoughter a good series worth reading. And i cant wait to see al the film adaptions, i would say to anyone who has seen the films but not read the book reda the books.

My Thoughts

I know these books are supposed to be a 'teenage' saga but I really enjoyed reading them. This book is without a doubt my favourite one and I will be looking forward to seeing the movie. It was a fantastic read and a perfect ending to a beautiful and engaging love story. I liked how the story was told from different perspectives and it had me hooked from the first page to the very last. I highly recommend reading the Twilight Saga and will definetly be re-reading them soon :D

Edited by SweetiiPie85

I'm glad you like the Twilight books so much :tong: what order would you put them in? I think it's interesting that you think Breaking Dawn is the best because it usually gets slated (although I enjoyed it too :D). I think Breaking Dawn will make a great movie :D

Mine is Twilight, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn and New Moon. I think it's because the end of Breaking Dawn is such a let down (well to me anyway). They build up for this

huge war against the Volturi, having to bring in other vamps and training etc

and it all just fizzles away, nothing really happens. I do love that

Bella became a vampire, but I wish it hadn't been so rushed and expanded a bit more, more information about her experience and perhaps more of a struggle rather than being so controlled.

• 3 weeks later...

Flesh House by Stuart MacBride

(Synopsis from Waterstones)

Aberdeen is panicking. It's been eighteen years since Grampian Police caught the Flesher -- the notorious serial killer who butchered people all over the UK -- and seven years since he was released from Peterhead prison, his conviction overturned on appeal. But when a container full of joints of human meat turns up at Aberdeen Harbour, it kicks off the largest man hunt in Aberdeen's history. Ken Wiseman is on the run and looking for revenge. Detective Sergeant Logan McRae is lumbered with the unenviable task of babysitting Chief Constable Mark Faulds from Birmingham -- one of the original investigation team -- and trying to keep DI Insch from throwing his career away in his obsessive quest to see Wiseman behind bars before he kills again. When members of the team that put Wiseman away in 1990 start going missing, Logan knows that things aren't as straightforward as everyone thinks. More and more human meat is turning up in the food chain. Twenty years of secrets and lies are being dragged into the light.And the only thing that's certain is Aberdeen will never be the same again.

My Thoughts

I really enjoyed this book and was hooked from the first chapter. It is more gruesome and violent than the other books. Some parts were quite sickening to read. This book is definitely my favourite of the Logan McRae series.

Edited by SweetiiPie85

• 2 weeks later...

Blind Eye by Stuart MacBride

(Synopsis from Waterstones)

It's summer in the Granite City, but even the sunshine can't improve the mood at Grampian Police Headquarters. Aberdeen's growing Polish community is under attack from a serial offender who leaves mutilated victims to be discovered on building sites -- eyes gouged out and the sockets burned. Detective Sergeant Logan McRae is assigned to the investigation, codenamed Operation Oedipus, but with the victims too scared to talk, it's going nowhere fast. When the next victim turns out to be not a newly arrived eastern european, but Simon McLeod, owner of the Turf n' Track bookies, Logan suddenly finds himself caught up in a world of drug wars, prostitution rings and gun-running courtesy of Aberdeen's oldest and most vicious crime lord.

My Thoughts

Yet again another fantastic read by Stuart MacBride. There was alot of action in this book and it was very gruesome at times. I was a bit dissapointed that you didn't find out what happened to DI Insch and PC Jackie after the last book Flesh House.

Halfhead by Stuart MacBride (Synopsis from Waterstones)

Terrifying serial killer thriller set in the gritty Glasgow of the near future, from the bestselling author of the Logan McRae series. Glasgow, not too far in the future. A new punishment has been devised for the perpetrators of serious crimes -- one that not only reduces the prison population but also benefits society at large. The process is known as halfheading: the offender's lower jaw is removed and they are lobotomized. They are then put to work as cleaners in municipal areas like hospitals, where they serve as a warning to all that crime doesn't pay. But for one halfhead, it seems the lobotomy hasn't quite succeeded. Six years after her surgery, Dr Fiona Westfield 'wakes up' surrounded by the butchered remains of a man she has just brutally killed. As her mind slowly begins to return, she sets out on a quest for vengeance. William Hunter, Assistant Section Director of the 'Network' -- a military wing of the police -- attends the crime scene left behind by the newly awakened halfhead. Sherman House is a run-down concrete housing development full of undesirables and Hunter and his team quickly find themselves in a firefight with the locals. With the help of old comrades and a new friend in the form of prickly but attractive Detective Sergeant Josephine Cameron, Will gets on the trail of the killer. But before long the investigation leads back to a terrible tragedy in his own past, as well as to a terrifying conspiracy to sow violence and misery among Glasgow's most vulnerable citizens.

My Thoughts

I was a bit wary about reading this book as it has been reviewed as a Sci-fi book which I have never been interested in reading but after the first couple of chapters I was hooked. I think it is just as gruesome as the Logan MacRae books and one part made me feel quite sick. The ending has been left open so I am hoping he is going to write another one.

I met Stuart MacBride last Tuesday at my local Waterstones where he was talking and reading extracts from Halfhead. He said he is currently writing a new Logan MacRae book which he thinks will be called Dark Blood and should be available the first Thursday of May 2010 - can't wait!! :irked: