Authors Appearence

Ghost

Let me try and explain this as best I can.

I love Jeffery Deaver's books, I find them really well written with a lot of accurate facts, however I saw this picture of him today and now I will not be able to read another one of his books.

jeffery_deaver_big.jpg

He looks like a bad stage hypnotist, this has happened with another author's work before...

Now whener I see a Lyncon Rhyme book I shall think of this

kenny_craig_02.jpg

Am I the only one who doesn't like knowing what authors look like and then get annoyed when they don't match up to my mental image? I guess so....

No no no :tong: Ghost, you can't let that pic put you off! You would be missing out on some excellent reads! Granted it is an awful pic and it's so obviously staged too. Whenever I read one of his books I imagine him somewhat like that but a lot older now (cause lets face it, that pic looks ancient :razz:), perhaps with slighly greyer hair, cut really short, wearing finer rimmed glasses, and not trying to do an over the shoulder pose. Does that help?

I do know what you mean though, he looks nothing like I expected him to but how an author looks would never put me off a book. I don't have to picture the author in the book so how could it? Well ... except Kay Scarpetta novels, for some reason I picture her just like the author Patricia Cornwell :friends0:

Perhaps you prefer one of these images, Ghost? I have to admit, he doesn't look like what I imagined, but I'm not really bothered by what he looks like, as long as he continues to write brilliant books!!

picture.php?albumid=195&pictureid=1676

picture.php?albumid=195&pictureid=1677

I would never judge an author by what they look like.

I'm sometimes surprised when I see pictures of authors because they're not how I imagined them. (Not that I really imagine them at all; I think they're faceless in my mind so maybe I'm just surprised to see a face at all :friends0:)

I see what you mean, I have had moments when I have seen pictures of authors I have enjoyed and they were not as I thought, but it would never put me off their books if I enjoy them...I am not superficial. :friends0:

I would say please do not forget the authors you have mentioned/ enjoyed have talent which some people who you like the look of may not have and reading a book does not require looking at the authors face.

Yeah, I have to agree with Chrysalis on this one.

I never judge ANYBODY by their appearance, and I'd be even less inclined to judge the physical embodiment of an intellect that can create something that moves me, like a story I love.

I very rarely think about authors look like, but maybe that's because I am one, and know so many others - admittedly mostly through the Internet. You still get to see their pictures though on their profiles and on their blogs and web sites. I have pictutes of myself plastered all over mine.

I love Jeffery Deaver's books, I find them really well written with a lot of accurate facts, however I saw this picture of him today and now I will not be able to read another one of his books.

It's not his best pic that's for sure. I think he looks like one of Satan's minions in this particular shot - which jars just a little with his Folk music background! :friends0:

I let the author's words do their stuff], and don't worry too much about how they look. Just as I tend to ignore a book cover I don't much care for.

Author's always seem to look so moody and brooding in their dust jacket pics. I am sure the publishers make them do it so they'll look deep and intellectual. I find that aspect off-putting because, when I see a picture of someone I'll warm to them so much more if they're smiling.

What the author looks like doesn't bother me but I'm usually always suprised by how they do look. I don't know what I expect but they're never how I imagine them to be :friends0:

Authors' pictures are almost always a surprise to me. It's interesting to see a smiling, happy face pictured on the back of a quite serious novel and a moody face on a light hearted read - which does happen sometimes. :friends0:

Also, their ages sometimes surprise me as I often picture them older/younger than they really are, according to their style of writing.