Shakespeare

I so need to read more Shakespeare. I have so much else to read (and to do!)

The first play I read was A Midsummer Night's Dream, which is my favourite, then Macbeth, then Romeo and Juliet, then a little bit of Merchant of Venice (becase the stupid teacher thought i could read in one night before my mock exam), and then I saw Twelfth Night (my second favourite) at the Shakespeare theatre in Stratford.

I absolutely love Shakespeare. His sonnets are great. I have had the complete works for some time, which someone gave me knowing my love for Shakespeare and I am sorry to say that I have not read much out of it yet. I suppose t also need the type pf concentration I don't have at the moment having the children.

I'm not keen on Shakespeare. Mind you, I have only read him in high-school, and was probably too young to understand or appreciate his work. Maybe I'll pick one of his plays up some time, and see if I feel any differently now.

I've always thought it a bit of a crime the way teachers ruin Shakespeare for the kids they're teaching. If the teacher doesn't love his work, then the enthusiasm isn't instilled in the youngsters. I was fortunate in that I had teachers who adored the Bard and made it exciting for us to experience in the classroom. I was also fortunate in that my parents also encouraged that love for plays (seeing as how I was on the stage from such a young age).

Oh my, I've read plenty from The Bard. I think I like his bawdy comedies like The Taming of the Shrew - but I'm a pig and like that kind of coarse material.
I love The Taming of the Shrew too, Wrath - it's such a wonderfully boisterous play, full of clashing personalities and fireworks in the relationships!

I've seen quite a few Shakespeare plays performed at various theatres. The best was King Lear in Bristol & the worst was Macbeth at The Globe. Dreadful. Particularly annoying as I took the kids to see it. I should have read a review before going.

The best performances of Shakespeare I think were the series the BBC did in the 80s. The highlights were Olivier as Lear (I must have watched it twenty times as it was one of my prepared questions for my finals), but the peak was, for me anyway, John Cleese as Petruchio in The Taming of the Shrew. Quite brilliant. I'd love to see it again.

I've just studied Othello as part of my GCSE English course. The only experience I'd had before was when I was a stage hand at school for A Midsummer Night's Dream (about 26 years ago!).

I thought Shakespeare would be boring, but it was amazing. I loved it so much!

I totally agree, Kell, about Iago - he's deliciously and wickedly good!

Since posting this I've gone on to study Henry VI Part 3 and Richard III for AS level English. I absolutely adored Richard - another great 'baddy' like Iago!

We're now doing The Winter's Tale for A2 English - and I can already tell I'm going to love it.

I certainly think (for me, anyway) that a bit of maturity helps - together with a tutor who absolutely loves The Bard and is so enthusiastic - and that is so infectious that it rubs off!

ETA: NiceGuyEddie - I'm slowly buying the DVDs of the BBC 80s series from Amazon - they're great, even though they look a bit dated. :welcomeboard:

Does anyone else remember the version of "Taming Of The Shrew" with Meryl Streep? The male actor was famous too and I can't think of his name.

I saw the video when I was in High School but I've never seen it since.

I've never liked Elizabeth Taylor in "The Taming of the Shrew".

I fell in love with Kenneth Branaugh in "As You Like It" (I think) with Emma Thompson. (PLEASE correct me. Which one was it?) And Denzel was great in that too.

I love King Lear, though I always felt Cordelia was a wet blanket.

I had a teacher in High School who made Shakespeare come alive for me. I never recovered. :welcomeboard:

Does anyone else remember the version of "Taming Of The Shrew" with Meryl Streep? The male actor was famous too and I can't think of his name.

It was Kiss Me, Petrucchio made in 1981 and it was Raul Julia. :welcomeboard:

I fell in love with Kenneth Branaugh in "As You Like It" (I think) with Emma Thompson. (PLEASE correct me. Which one was it?) And Denzel was great in that too.

It was Much Ado About Nothing - and yes, it was brilliant!

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I really love Shakespeare, and in order of like to dislike, I have studied:

-Othello (just brilliant)

-Macbeth (quite good)

-Romeo and Juliet (everyone at school thought this was brilliant so I 'rebelled' in my own way by saying it was alright)

-Hamlet (we had a rubbish teacher so it was awful! If I read it alone or studied it with a different teacher, I probably would have enjoyed it!)

I have the complete works of Shakespere. Apart from his sonnets, Anthony and Cleopatra and The Taming of the Shrew (I saw Ten Things I Hate About You, which is based upon it - I loved it!) I've read all of his plays. All are masterpieces in their own right.

Edited by Kell
Inserted ALL the capitals!

I've always thought it a bit of a crime the way teachers ruin Shakespeare for the kids they're teaching. If the teacher doesn't love his work, then the enthusiasm isn't instilled in the youngsters. I was fortunate in that I had teachers who adored the Bard and made it exciting for us to experience in the classroom.

I had the same enthusiasm instilled in me by my English teacher, who i have to say has played a hugh part in my interests and studies. He encouraged us to absorb Shakespere and taught us how to work things out for ourselves. I used to work at a high school as a teacher support, and the teachers just told them what each sentence meant and told them to copy it down. How silly! Yes, it took a lot of effort to get them involved in his work and to work things out for themselves. But it was possible. And with more effort on the teachers part, i'm sure it would get easier.

My fav's are Much Ado About Nothing and Taming Of The Shrew. I also love his sonnets.

The teachers just told them what each sentence meant and told them to copy it down. How silly!

That is what my teachers do-and its why I don't like Hamlet which i'm doing at the moment cause its taught so boringly, which means I will probably fail the exam! :lol: Over the christmas holidays, i'm going to read it again and study it on my own which will hopefully make it more intereasting and I will hopefully learn to like it! :)

Patrick Stewart is the best Shakespearean actor I've seen - though thats usually movies. I think he does stage shows too, or did.

I love him primarily because hes Captain Picard, but I think hes superb in Shakespearean dramas and also classic english ones - A Christmas Carol/Canterville Ghost.

suzanne123 - Have you seen any other Shakespere fims, etc? I was thinking i you find something you like about shakepere that you found yourself, it might make it a bit easier for you to grasp/enjoy Hamlet. I find sometimes that if i get into the writers frame of mind from one of his/her books, i find their other works easier to manage. Sometimes i even find i enjoy them. Then you may not need your teachers enthusiasm and you can run on your own enthusiasm.

I love patrick stuart too. And i luuurrrvve Star trek!

When at school I read Measure for Measure and Midsummer Nights Dream and really enjoyed them. In the past year I set myself the personal challenge of reading some more Shakespeare but I got as far as getting copies of the major plays from The Book People but so far haven't managed any. 2009 will be my year to change this!