Gilmore Girls

frankie

I just met Paris in episode 2 of season 1! I'm also sure I recognised one of Rory's teachers, but I can't seem to find the actor's name and I'm not sure what his character's name is in the show. It's always nice to see actors of beloved TV series in other things.

I quite like episode 2 as well btw :). Some new characters were introduced and it was Rory's first day which was quite interesting. I hope she does allright, I really like both Rory and Lorelai (the mother), they are two great characters. There is plenty of humour in the series too, so far I can't really think of anything I didn't like :).

Does the teacher have a recurring role, Athena? The only teachers I can remember seeing are Max Medina (that's the character's name, not the actor's name), who becomes an important character in the show, and headmaster Charleston. Does that help at all? Oh, and I think there's a teacher who appears briefly during Rory's first day at Chilton, and he encourages Rory to borrow a student's school notes so she can catch up. Is that the one you mean? If so, I don't know his name either, but I could quite easily find it for you.

Kylie, I watched Scandal about a week ago, it's a great show. And Paris was in it :D I was quite thrown when I saw her :D Lisa Weil plays a rather significant role in the series. I would recommend it if there's any chance you can watch it :)

I'll definitely have to check out the show, especially if she has a major role. :)

I'm currently watching the Guardians of the Galaxy movie for the first time, and Sean Gunn (Kirk) is in it! I probably wouldn't have recognised him if I hadn't seen his name in the opening credits and been looking out for him. I was then looking up the movie on IMDB and I kept seeing references to James Gunn, who was the director of the movie. I wondered if maybe they were related, and it turns out they are! So Kirk's brother is a movie director. :)

In other GG news, I read this article today about two guys who do a GG podcast. I read it because I thought I could show it to my partner to convince him it isn't just a 'chick' show, but I think the guys are gay, so it might not help my cause. :giggle2: The podcast sounds really interesting. They're basically watching the show one episode at a time and doing a podcast on each episode. When they're finished, they might start doing podcasts of shows and movies the actors have appeared in since finishing GG. I've downloaded all the episodes. I'm not sure when I'll have time to listen, but I'll try to make time. I've also downloaded a few other similar GG podcasts to try as well. :)

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the teacher have a recurring role, Athena? The only teachers I can remember seeing are Max Medina (that's the character's name, not the actor's name), who becomes an important character in the show, and headmaster Charleston. Does that help at all? Oh, and I think there's a teacher who appears briefly during Rory's first day at Chilton, and he encourages Rory to borrow a student's school notes so she can catch up. Is that the one you mean? If so, I don't know his name either, but I could quite easily find it for you.

I have to admit I don't know yet, because I haven't had the energy to watch many more episodes :blush2:. I'll definitely let you know though once I've seen some more episodes :).

I'll definitely have to check out the show, especially if she has a major role. 

Cool! :) After reading about the podcast, I went on youtube to see if I could find them there (didn't! What a disappointment.), and then I watched a few Behind the Scenes and Bloopers and other stuff on the show. I saw a short interview of Liza Weil and I was surprised how she seemed so shy! She's so unlike Paris, so it's really telling of her great acting skills. Wow! I have to say, I like the actor a lot more now that I've seen her be shy. She was endearing :blush:

I'm currently watching the Guardians of the Galaxy movie for the first time, and Sean Gunn (Kirk) is in it! I probably wouldn't have recognised him if I hadn't seen his name in the opening credits and been looking out for him. I was then looking up the movie on IMDB and I kept seeing references to James Gunn, who was the director of the movie. I wondered if maybe they were related, and it turns out they are! So Kirk's brother is a movie director. 

And James Gunn was once married to Jenna Fischer, who plays Pam in The Office, US version  ;):cool::D

Edit: Kylie, I know you've been recommending Bunheads to me for ages, but I've not been keen about watching it. I just went on youtube to look at videos about Liza Weil and completely by accident clicked on a trailer or something on the show. She seems to play a rather interesting character :D "Don't do the spinny thing. It makes me dizzy." :D :D And I knew Kelly Bishop is on the show but it was nice seeing her on the trailer, too =) You may have told me earlier, but if you did, I'd forgotten: she's a ballet dancer! :o I mean she used to do ballet! :o 

I will definitely watch the show if they ever start showing it here!!

Edited by frankie

Oh my I'm so happy I found this thread! I love GG. I always watched it with my mom and sister when it was still airing and now its on Netflix streaming, so I have been re-watching over the past few months. I'm on season 6 and it's as good as I remember  :D

I have to admit I don't know yet, because I haven't had the energy to watch many more episodes :blush2:. I'll definitely let you know though once I've seen some more episodes :).

No worries. :D

Oh my I'm so happy I found this thread! I love GG. I always watched it with my mom and sister when it was still airing and now its on Netflix streaming, so I have been re-watching over the past few months. I'm on season 6 and it's as good as I remember  :D

Yay! Another GG fan. Welcome, my friend! I look forward to discussing GG with you (I should warn you that I can discuss it endlessly!)

I forgot to mention some other good (for me) GG news. (Please forgive the ramble that follows.) On all of my GG DVDs, the show is shown in the 'square' format (not sure of the technical term, but I mean that there is black space on either side of the screen; in other words, it's not in widescreen). It has always bothered me that pretty much every other show I watch is in widescreen and really high quality, except for GG.

Some time ago, I noticed that iTunes sells season 4–7 in HD, and I wondered whether that would mean I could watch it in widescreen, so I downloaded one episode as a test. Because of iTunes' DRM, I couldn't watch it on my regular TV until just recently, and then I was so happy to find that it's in widescreen! I watched a few seconds of my DVD version and compared it to the HD iTunes version, and there's definitely a noticeable difference. I can see more on the left and the right of the screen than I could previously. So now I want to watch all of those seasons again so I can see what I've been missing all this time. :D Of course, I'll have to pay a fair bit to download all the episodes. I'll have to wait until I have some spare money so I can download them.

Cool! :) After reading about the podcast, I went on youtube to see if I could find them there (didn't! What a disappointment.), and then I watched a few Behind the Scenes and Bloopers and other stuff on the show. I saw a short interview of Liza Weil and I was surprised how she seemed so shy! She's so unlike Paris, so it's really telling of her great acting skills. Wow! I have to say, I like the actor a lot more now that I've seen her be shy. She was endearing :blush:

And James Gunn was once married to Jenna Fischer, who plays Pam in The Office, US version 

Edit: Kylie, I know you've been recommending Bunheads to me for ages, but I've not been keen about watching it. I just went on youtube to look at videos about Liza Weil and completely by accident clicked on a trailer or something on the show. She seems to play a rather interesting character :D "Don't do the spinny thing. It makes me dizzy." :D :D And I knew Kelly Bishop is on the show but it was nice seeing her on the trailer, too =) You may have told me earlier, but if you did, I'd forgotten: she's a ballet dancer! :o I mean she used to do ballet! :o

I will definitely watch the show if they ever start showing it here!!

The podcast is audio only, and I think it's only available through iTunes.

I always wanted you to watch the behind the scenes stuff on the GG DVDs so you could see Liza being shy! I also loved her even more after I saw that, and I agree that it shows her wonderful acting ability. I often think of her shy interview when I'm watching Paris in action. :D I think Liza would be a lovely person to know in real life.

Ah, that's cool about James Gunn! I love this 'six degrees of separation' stuff. :D

On Bunheads, Liza plays a sort of similar character to Paris (sort of bossy and domineering). She doesn't have a large role, unfortunately, but she's still cool. Mitchum is also on the show and he's barely recognisable because, believe it or not, he's a sort of long-haired hippie dude. LOL! Gypsy also shows up occasionally. Emily has the biggest role by far (of the previous GG actors), and she's just as wonderful in Bunheads as she is in GG. Emily is actually the main role along with the main ballet dancer (who I think recently won a major award for a Broadway show - I saw her on the Tonys recently).

Some time ago, I noticed that iTunes sells season 4–7 in HD, and I wondered whether that would mean I could watch it in widescreen, so I downloaded one episode as a test. Because of iTunes' DRM, I couldn't watch it on my regular TV until just recently, and then I was so happy to find that it's in widescreen! I watched a few seconds of my DVD version and compared it to the HD iTunes version, and there's definitely a noticeable difference. I can see more on the left and the right of the screen than I could previously. So now I want to watch all of those seasons again so I can see what I've been missing all this time. :D Of course, I'll have to pay a fair bit to download all the episodes. I'll have to wait until I have some spare money so I can download them.

That is so cool! :D Although it sucks ass that you could only see the show on the square format. Modern technology is all about enabling stuff, so why the heck would they sell you, a HC GG fan, DVD sets that you cannot watch in the normal format!?! Not cool! :no:

The podcast is audio only, and I think it's only available through iTunes.

Ah, okay. It always astounds me when something can't be found on Youtube. :blush:

I always wanted you to watch the behind the scenes stuff on the GG DVDs so you could see Liza being shy! I also loved her even more after I saw that, and I agree that it shows her wonderful acting ability. I often think of her shy interview when I'm watching Paris in action. :D I think Liza would be a lovely person to know in real life.

I know you've heavily hinted I should watch the stuff, but for some reason I never did :blush: I don't know why I wasn't into the idea of Bunheads. Maybe because it's ballet (therefore there's music and then it's almost like a musical and I don't like musicals in general). Maybe because it's not GG. But I'm now totally willing and wanting to watch the show!!! And yeah, I agree, I think I would enjoy Liza's company, it would be nice to meet her. I like her so much now! :D She's amazing, it's so odd that her type of shy person can play such an outrageous, in-your-face person. So, so talented!!

I watched her interview on some other part she'd played, and now I want to watch that series, too :D It was something called Anybody But Me, or something.

Ah, that's cool about James Gunn! I love this 'six degrees of separation' stuff. :D

Me, too! I love both shows so I love it that there's such a connection! :smile2:

On Bunheads, Liza plays a sort of similar character to Paris (sort of bossy and domineering). She doesn't have a large role, unfortunately, but she's still cool. Mitchum is also on the show and he's barely recognisable because, believe it or not, he's a sort of long-haired hippie dude. LOL! Gypsy also shows up occasionally. Emily has the biggest role by far (of the previous GG actors), and she's just as wonderful in Bunheads as she is in GG. Emily is actually the main role along with the main ballet dancer (who I think recently won a major award for a Broadway show - I saw her on the Tonys recently).

Yeah, I got the idea that the person she plays on Bunheads is similar to Paris in some ways :D Rather pushy!

But who's this Mitchum you speak of? I searched for the name on the Bunheads imdb page but couldn't find anything.

You're right, it's so uncool! Perhaps I bought the DVDs when shows were still in transition between the old and new versions. But as far as I'm aware, the first three seasons of GG are not available anywhere in widescreen. I hope this changes one day!

You're right, it's so uncool! Perhaps I bought the DVDs when shows were still in transition between the old and new versions. But as far as I'm aware, the first three seasons of GG are not available anywhere in widescreen. I hope this changes one day!

Yeah, you bought them back in the 'old' days :o But it's weird that they would still be missing the first three seasons, in the modern days. It's like texting someone on the phone with a piece of chalk. :no:

I watched her interview on some other part she'd played, and now I want to watch that series, too :D It was something called Anybody But Me, or something.

But who's this Mitchum you speak of? I searched for the name on the Bunheads imdb page but couldn't find anything.

Oops, I was using his name from Gilmore Girls because I don't know his real name and can't remember his character's name in Bunheads. I was referring to Mitchum Huntzberger, Logan's dad.

I'll have to look up Anybody But Me; I haven't heard of it before. She's been very busy lately, what with Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder and this other show you've just mentioned! I'm glad to see the cast of GG doing so well for themselves. The show that Lauren Graham is in, Parenthood, is just finishing up its last ever season. I wonder what she'll be doing next?

Ah, Mitchum is Gregg Henry, and he is apparently also in Scandal!

post-3835-0-14303100-1420032928_thumb.jpg

Oops, I was using his name from Gilmore Girls because I don't know his real name and can't remember his character's name in Bunheads. I was referring to Mitchum Huntzberger, Logan's dad.

Ah yes! He was probably only referred to as Mr Huntzberger, and not on first name basis. That would be beneath him, you know... :drama::giggle2::D

I'll have to look up Anybody But Me; I haven't heard of it before. She's been very busy lately, what with Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder and this other show you've just mentioned! I'm glad to see the cast of GG doing so well for themselves. The show that Lauren Graham is in, Parenthood, is just finishing up its last ever season. I wonder what she'll be doing next?

I also saw an interview of hers re: HtGAwM and she had short blonde hair which I thought suited her well! And very red lips. She's really beautiful!

I, too, glad to know GG cast is doing well outside the show. I really want to watch Parenthood! I've still only seen the first season, I think. The Lahti friend who's got my GG DVDs borrowed the Parenthood DVD as well and she really really liked it! :smile2: How many seasons have they made of the show, which one is the last? It's been another long one for Lauren Graham. It's going to be interesting so see what she'll be up to, next! :)

Ah, Mitchum is Gregg Henry, and he is apparently also in Scandal!

I can't remember for the life of me what role he plays in the series :blush: I just don't remember him from the show! :D

It's like texting someone on the phone with a piece of chalk.  :no:

Hahaha!  :rolol:

I should mention what Bunheads is for anyone who doesn't know. Amy Sherman-Palladino (the woman who created Gilmore Girls) made a show called Bunheads after she had finished GG. Unfortunately it only lasted for one season (about 18 episodes) before it was cancelled. It's really quite a good show - about a ballet dancer who moves to a small town and lives with her new mother-in-law and helps her run her dance studio. Because it was created by Sherman-Palladino, she used many GG actors in Bunheads, or at least gave them cameo roles. I found this picture that shows how they appear in Gilmore Girls compared to how they appear in Bunheads.

post-3835-0-66804000-1420035832_thumb.png

Ah yes! He was probably only referred to as Mr Huntzberger, and not on first name basis. That would be beneath him, you know... :drama:

Yep, pretty much! Everyone was scared of him.

I also saw an interview of hers re: HtGAwM and she had short blonde hair which I thought suited her well! And very red lips. She's really beautiful!

Yes, she looks really good with short hair!

I, too, glad to know GG cast is doing well outside the show. I really want to watch Parenthood! I've still only seen the first season, I think. The Lahti friend who's got my GG DVDs borrowed the Parenthood DVD as well and she really really liked it! :smile2: How many seasons have they made of the show, which one is the last? It's been another long one for Lauren Graham. It's going to be interesting so see what she'll be up to, next! :)

The last season of Parenthood is the sixth season. It's had a fairly good run! According to Wikipedia, there are only 4 more episodes left.

I can't remember for the life of me what role he plays in the series :blush: I just don't remember him from the show! :D

:o My goodness, you really need to watch the last few seasons again, missy! I guess he only appeared briefly here and there, but he certainly had a 'presence'.

Oh, and in all this talk of former GG actors, I haven't even mentioned what Logan's been up to, which is unbelievable because I've been watching endless episodes of The Good Wife lately. He really good in it (he plays Cary). :)

But as far as I'm aware, the first three seasons of GG are not available anywhere in widescreen.

It's the same here, I've only seen bits of the first season so far, but it's not in widescreen. It doesn't bother me hugely though, but it's a shame.

:o My goodness, you really need to watch the last few seasons again, missy! I guess he only appeared briefly here and there, but he certainly had a 'presence'.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I meant that I don't remember him in Scandal!!!! :lol: :lol:

Oh, and in all this talk of former GG actors, I haven't even mentioned what Logan's been up to, which is unbelievable because I've been watching endless episodes of The Good Wife lately. He really good in it (he plays Cary). :)

I've seen him in that. :yes:

And Logan reminds me of Tristan and I just recently saw him in a movie. Guess which movie it was. Guess!!! It was in Freaky Friday. Which is so funny because the book is on the Rory Gilmore reading list, and it's the only reason I've read the book :D 

I just read the sad news that Edward Herrmann (aka Richard Gilmore) has died. There will be such added poignancy to my watching of the GG now. 

That's so sad  :cry:

I always wondered why season after season when his name appeared in the opening credits/theme song that it said special appearance by. Does anyone know? 

I always wondered why season after season when his name appeared in the opening credits/theme song that it said special appearance by. Does anyone know? 

According to IMDB, 

Edward Herrmann is a pretty big name actor, and reportedly Amy Sherman-Palladino worked very hard to get him in the show. The 'Special Appearance' is just a small shout-out to him and his career.  

That's pretty cool I think.  :smile:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I meant that I don't remember him in Scandal!!!! :lol: :lol:

Ohhhhh! That makes much more sense. :D

I've seen him in that. :yes:

And Logan reminds me of Tristan and I just recently saw him in a movie. Guess which movie it was. Guess!!! It was in Freaky Friday. Which is so funny because the book is on the Rory Gilmore reading list, and it's the only reason I've read the book :D

Tristan was in Freaky Friday, or Logan? Tristan was also a main character in One Tree Hill (actually, I believe he left GG to be in that show). I never watched much of that show, but I plan to watch it one day.

I'm so upset by the news of Edward Herrmann's passing. :( He was a wonderful actor and seemed to be a genuinely warm-hearted fellow. RIP.

Tristan was in Freaky Friday, or Logan? Tristan was also a main character in One Tree Hill (actually, I believe he left GG to be in that show). I never watched much of that show, but I plan to watch it one day.

I'm so upset by the news of Edward Herrmann's passing. :( He was a wonderful actor and seemed to be a genuinely warm-hearted fellow. RIP.

Yes Tristan is in One Tree Hill. I didn't know that GG was before OTH. I was a OTH fan before I started Gilmore Girls so when I went back and watched older episodes with Tristan I was surprised that he was on there :lol:

According to IMDB, 

That's pretty cool I think.  :smile:

That is so cool!! But it's kind of twisted because I'd wondered about it, too, and I always felt it was kinda like they overlooked his presence in the show. I'm certainly happy it was really the other way around! 

Well DUUUU'UH!!! :lol: :lol:

Tristan was in the movie. I never liked the actor in GG but he was okay in FF. He had longer hair. Looked nice. Hummmmm. :P:D

And who leaves GG to do another show? That's just rubbish. Oh, wait, Adam Brody did it, too. I've never forgiven him for that. I loved him on GG, he was great, but I've never liked him after that. Stupid boy.  :irked: 

That is so cool!! But it's kind of twisted because I'd wondered about it, too, and I always felt it was kinda like they overlooked his presence in the show. I'm certainly happy it was really the other way around! 

Well DUUUU'UH!!! :lol: :lol:

Tristan was in the movie. I never liked the actor in GG but he was okay in FF. He had longer hair. Looked nice. Hummmmm. :P:D

And who leaves GG to do another show? That's just rubbish. Oh, wait, Adam Brody did it, too. I've never forgiven him for that. I loved him on GG, he was great, but I've never liked him after that. Stupid boy.  :irked:

Who did Adam Brody play in GG?