Does anyone else ever dream about the books they read?

It just suddenly came to me, because on Friday night I had a really weird (well, weirder than usual) dream that was a cross between Up the Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton (which I read many years ago) and another film I saw on television a few days ago...

Does this happen to you? Because i find that if I don't read fiction for a week or so my nights begin getting dreamless...

:)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely, it has happened more times than i can count. A lot have been to do with 'IT' by Stephen King. Always very interesting and certainly an adventure :)

I regularly dream about events that I've read in novels. I become so absorbed into the writer's world, that sometimes it's as though I've assimilated part of their own mind! Like Spock!

That sounds weird, doesn't it?

Yes, sometimes I do dream about the books I read. I could have just said that! :)

I dream about what I'm reading often.

Usually my mind incorporates my family too and because, like Lexiepiper I read mostly horror/serial killer books, my dreams can become rather close to home and vividly frightening! :)

I dream about what I'm reading often.

Usually my mind incorporates my family too and because, like Lexiepiper I read mostly horror/serial killer books, my dreams can become rather close to home and vividly frightening! :)

That sounds like fun...:)

Sometimes, I can't really tell you a specific dream but I kept getting weird/scary dreams when I was reading The Historian, I told myself I should stop reading it before bed but I couldn't stop myself

For the very reason that I dream about what I'm reading I make sure I read something light, like chick-lit before I sleep. My dreams are crazy enough without adding horror into the mix!

Sometimes, I can't really tell you a specific dream but I kept getting weird/scary dreams when I was reading The Historian, I told myself I should stop reading it before bed but I couldn't stop myself

I also had the weirdest dreams whilst reading this book, but it was well worth it.

For the very reason that I dream about what I'm reading I make sure I read something light, like chick-lit before I sleep. My dreams are crazy enough without adding horror into the mix!

My dreams are super-crazy, but I'll never resort to chick-lit...:)

I would love to dream about the books I read - in fact I'd love to have dreams that I remember - it's rare that I wake up and remember a dream. I think I've remembered about 2 in the last 6 months and I can't even remeber what they are now - but they've probably been something pretty mundane! My son says he doesn't have dreams at all, but he is a deep sleeper and I suppose he therefore just does not remember them. If my daughter has dreams it's usually nightmares! Maybe we've got some kind of disfunctioning genetic dream make-up! :)

I'm a deep sleeper too, I can usually sleep through half of my alarm clock alarm and another half of my mobile ringtone... But I always remeber what I dream... Although sometimes I have more two dreams in a night and the next morning I can only remember one. And I know this because I sometimes catch glimpses of the forgotten one when I'm in a trance 0.o

I can't remember any dreams, but I had trouble going to sleep after reading The Historian before bedtime... Spooky... :) (isn't that ghost thingy cute?)

I don't remember dreams about specific stories or characters, but I do often dream about buying books I've read or want to read.

My most recent experience in this field was a dream about a lethal snow-fight in which I burnt a hole in someone's tongue with a burning snowball. I realised only upon careful reflection that the whole dream had occasioned out of the snowing ash imagery in "The Book Thief".

I often dream about what I read. And about people I meet, and things that happen, all in a big confused mess. I usually remember my dreams too. This night, my sons and I were on London's Underground, travelling back and forth (Neil Gaiman, "Neverwhere", I guess). We never seemed to get anywhere and we were in a constant rush.

When I read the Harry Potter books a few years ago I dreamed of Voldemort ;D He was catching after me and we he was about to do the killing curse - avada kedavra but then i woke up. I was .. I don't know how old I was then.

Strange to say, I have not dreamt about books but I often dream I am reading books. The text I dream I read is legible, intelligible, but it is also fluid, the words changing into other words that alter the meaning of the sentence.

Interestingly, the word read actually means "to interpret dreams".

read ORIGIN Old English raedan, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch raden and German raten "advise, guess." Early senses included [advise] and [interpret (a riddle or dream)] (see rede).

Oh, that's interesting. I once dreamt about reading one of my favourite ever books. And when I woke up and went to the library the next day, I found that the words from the book were the same as the ones in my dream. I guess I must be subconsciously memorising passages.

But that was only once. Didn't happen ever again.

I tend to dream about whatever I was watching/reading/thinking before I went to bed. I tend to read alot before I fall asleep so picture the people in the books in my dreams, particularly Twilight which I'm reading at the moment. My dream last night involved werewolves :)

:D (isn't that ghost thingy cute?)

I have never seen this before, i love it :D

I remember having this dream probably a couple of years ago where i was exploring some arctic wastes with a talking bear of some sort, i had been really immersed in the story of 'Northern Lights' by Philip Pullman so that was most likely why.

Not just books, movies and films too. Doesn't happen very often though. Sometimes I just like to really crawl into the skin of someone from a book or a movie and then it's more intense and more likely that I later dream about it. :D