Kell

The Saga of Darren Shan: Vampire Blood Trilogy

Author: Darren Shan

ISBN # 0007143745

Publisher: Collins

1st Published: 2000

511 pages

Cirque du Freak

Darren Shan's an ordinary schoolboy, until he and his best friend Steve get tickets to the Cirque Du Freak, a bizarre freak show featuring such arcane performers as Hans Hands, Gertha Teeth, the Wolf Man and Rhamus Twobellies. In the midst of the ghoulish excitement, true terror raises its head when Steve recognises that one of the performers -- Mr. Crepsley -- is in fact a vampire!

Steve remains after the show finishes, to confront the vampire -- but his motives are anything but ordinary! In the shadows of a crumbling theatre, a horrified Darren eavesdrops on his friend and the vampire, and is witness to a monstrous, disturbing plea.

Later, in a moment of insane daring, Darren sets out to steal the vampire's magnificent performing tarantula, an act which will have severe, tragic consequences for both Darren and Steve. Their lives will never be the same again

They were so easy to read that I flew through all three of them. I'm hoping to pick up the next trilogy at some point once I've whittled down my reading list a little...

• 10 months later...

Has anyone else on here read any of Darren Shan's The Demonata books there's 4 out at the moment but there's more to come.

I have read 3 out of 4 but I'm reading number 4.

I think they're are really interesting and I reccomend them to any teenager who likes horror and isn't squeamish.

I've not read the Demonata ones, but I've read the 1st four of the Vampire ones (The Saga of Darren Shan) and very much enjoyed them - highly recommended if you haven't read them already.

I bought them a few days ago in fact I bought all 12 of them lol.

But I'm going to finish Bec first before I start them.

My daughter loves the Darren Shan books - are you enjoying Dracula?

My son Philip aged 14 is a big Darren Shan fan. This time last year Darren Shan was due to visit my sons High School to talk to interested kids (apparently he dose a lot of this sort of thing) - my son managed to get a coveted ticket and looked forward to the event. About 2 days beforehand, he developed Shingles and was very ill indeed and so was disappointed to miss the visit. Subsequently my mum emailed Darren Shan via his website to tell him what had happened to my son and how disappointed he was. After a couple of weeks went by - he wrote a personal letter to Philip which was a lovely surprise. So he is a favourite of mine!

I have not read said author but have listened to an audio tape on a long car journey called 'Cirque du Freak' - gripping and scary, it was very quiet all the way.

:D

That's such a sweet story! Mr Shan does seem to be a very nice man - he left lovely comments on my reviews blog when I reviewed his books - made my day, that did!

My son Philip aged 14 is a big Darren Shan fan. This time last year Darren Shan was due to visit my sons High School to talk to interested kids (apparently he dose a lot of this sort of thing) - my son managed to get a coveted ticket and looked forward to the event. About 2 days beforehand, he developed Shingles and was very ill indeed and so was disappointed to miss the visit. Subsequently my mum emailed Darren Shan via his website to tell him what had happened to my son and how disappointed he was. After a couple of weeks went by - he wrote a personal letter to Philip which was a lovely surprise. So he is a favourite of mine!

I have not read said author but have listened to an audio tape on a long car journey called 'Cirque du Freak' - gripping and scary, it was very quiet all the way.

:D

He sounds a really nice person.

Oh yes the 1st book of "The Saga of Darren Shan" I'll be reading it soon

If remember right my favourites were Cirque du Freak and the tunnels of blood, but i have also read the vampires assistant.

they were big stuff in my primary school, everyone was reading them. We were lucky enough to have the privelage of Darren Shan visiting our school, and i managed to get my copy of tunnels of blood signed by him. It is one of my prize possessions :D

• 1 year later...

I've read the first three books of the Saga of Darren Shan, and I did like them. It was a nice change from the usual fanged, cloaked, Transylvanian vampires! I didn't read the rest though. But I did meet Darren Shan and have his entire Demonata series signed by him to me and my sister.

He came to my mother's school (she's a school librarian so she organised it) so got to talk to him and stuff, he was really nice. He did a reading for the year nines from the first Demonata book...sounded gory! The funniest thing was as soon as he finished reading his extract a boy sitting behind me said "Oh wow, I really wanna find out what happens! *more morosely* But then I'd have to read the book...."

It made me laugh :) but that was the aim of the reading, to get him to read it!

There are already two threads, so I'm going to merge them all. Horrorfan, it's always worth a quick serach before starting new threads. Thanks. :)

I'm sorry, thanks Michelle, I'll keep it in mind. :tong:

Wow! angelofboox, cool to meet Darren Shan, it's also a dream/wish of me to meet him! Would be great! :)

Edited by Michelle
can you also not double post! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've read all 12 books from The Saga of Darren Shan and enjoyed every single one of them! Also loved the ending. I've also read most of the demontana ones, but there is a new one out, and I'm not sure of the title. I might have to re-read the others from the demontana series to catch up, as it's been a while.

... but there is a new one out, and I'm not sure of the title.

The new book is called Wolf Island. It came out in October, so I think that's the one you're thinking of! It's from Grubs' point of view, and it's quite short. But that's the only bad thing about it! I think it's just because I like huge, thick books. Haha.

I love all of Darren Shan's books, I remember when I was about 11 or so, I was given some books by the book shop for some reason. I think it may have been for a prize at the school fete. But somehow, I managed to keep Cirque du Freak and I left it under my bed for ages and ages. When I finally got around to reading it, I was shocked as to how I had let it go unnoticed for such a long time, because it's a really great book. A great saga for that matter ;)

The new book is called Wolf Island. It came out in October, so I think that's the one you're thinking of! It's from Grubs' point of view, and it's quite short. But that's the only bad thing about it! I think it's just because I like huge, thick books. Haha.

I love all of Darren Shan's books, I remember when I was about 11 or so, I was given some books by the book shop for some reason. I think it may have been for a prize at the school fete. But somehow, I managed to keep Cirque du Freak and I left it under my bed for ages and ages. When I finally got around to reading it, I was shocked as to how I had let it go unnoticed for such a long time, because it's a really great book. A great saga for that matter ;)

Ah thank you, I'll read the rest of the series before reading that.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have to say that I loved them all! Cirque Du Freak and the Trials of Blood are my fav! However, I must say that emotions flew in the 9th book! Hehe. I recommend this series!

Edited by Christie