The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

Nollaig

It is! Anyone who goes out and reads a book because a fictional character likes it, is like, obsessed or something, and THAT'S what they're appealing to.

I mean, half of them probably wouldn't even read Wuthering Heights ANYWAY once they realised what it's like.

True :)

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a total hypocrite though, I think the cover is actually gorgeous :) Just not on WUTHERING HEIGHTS! W.H. should have bleak windy moors or a big tree on barren rock or a formidable looking house or shadowy depressing people or something! :)

Its good marketing, targeting a specific group (fan girls) as we know, but ultimately, its really tacky marketing :)

Thanks Gyre, tacky is exactly the word I've been looking for to describe it.

It is! Anyone who goes out and reads a book because a fictional character likes it, is like, obsessed or something, and THAT'S what they're appealing to.

I mean, half of them probably wouldn't even read Wuthering Heights ANYWAY once they realised what it's like.

I guess the only good that can come of it, is if some of the fan girls buy it, do actually read it, and it opens their eyes to the wider world of books away from Twilight. I'm probably living in a dream world, but I do try to look on the bright side if I can find one!

I'm a total hypocrite though, I think the cover is actually gorgeous :) Just not on WUTHERING HEIGHTS! W.H. should have bleak windy moors or a big tree on barren rock or a formidable looking house or shadowy depressing people or something! :)

I like the covers too, not very WH I agree, your right about what a WH cover should look like but I need to add, it would always need Heathcliff looking mean and pointless in the background :motz:

I actually love my copies of WH, they have no Heathcliffs though. One has a pretty green valley and I think Hareton working, another has moors in dark brown tones and a female figure (cathy) hurrying along, and the last has blue and green toned moors. :)

Wait, this is a Twilight thread. Um. Oh I know - I wonder has Smeyer actually read all these Bronte and Austen books? Well, she's probably read Austen as she's like all chick-lit-y, but Bronte? Slightly heavier stuff.

I agree, Chesilbeach, hopefully there are some tween fangirls out there who get introduced to books like WH and actually like them. Even if it's just a few, it's worth it if they can make a new discovery of something different than Twilight. I know that's not the marketers aim (obviously money is), but I try to see the bright side too :).

I know this is the Twilight thread, but this is about the impact of the books, so I hope it's okay here. I just read this article in the Guardian about the Wuthering Heights reissue we've been talking about, but this is the excerpt that caught my eye:

A new edition of the novel, repackaged in a similar style to Meyer's Twilight books – black cover, white flower, tagline "love never dies" – was released in May this year, and has already sold more than 10,000 copies in the UK, nearly twice as many as the traditional Penguin Classic edition, making it Waterstone's bestselling classic.

It goes on to quote some reviews from young readers on the Waterstone's site, which makes me think that although they may have bought the book, they won't necessarily be rushing out to buy any more classics.

I also think the WH covers are a disgrace :D I saw an article this morning that said that Waterstones have put WH back on their best sellers list thanks to Twilight.

On one hand it is a real shame because like somebody else has said I think of windy moors, gothic houses and freaky men when I think of Wuthering Heights. Not artsy fartsy cash in covers!

However, if that is what it takes to get people reading classics then so be it. That can't be a bad thing.

I just wonder if these so called fangirls would have looked twice at WH if not for Edward and Bella.

This is what my copy looks like:

post-2935-127972301738_thumb.jpg

You can make money selling just about anything to teenage girls these days... I didn't even see Wuthering Heights mentioned in any of the Twilight novels - I probably just didn't pay attention. The "their favourite novel" idea made me laugh, though. It's sad that the covers are ruined by that little detail, because they are very pretty. Although, on the other hand, if it gets kids reading classic literature, then where's the harm in that? :D

if it gets kids reading classic literature, then where's the harm in that?
I agree there's a chance a few will end up enjoying WH and go on to discover a wider world of literature; on the other hand, it strikes me as depressing that young people are reading so few classics as to need this kind of incentive to check them out.

ETA, courtesy of my wishlist. Wuthering Heights should look like THIS.

ETA, courtesy of my wishlist. Wuthering Heights should look like THIS.

I do like this cover :D. I like all my classic books to have the old fashioned hardback no picture.

I can't believe they have taken out a cover for WH regarding Bella and Edward :D why ruin a classic? The Twilight madness is getting crazier and crazier whats next? I do agree that it will get more teenagers to enjoy literature.

Edited by SweetiiPie85

:D Hello!

Chesil pointed me in the direction of this thread after I posted about the Twilight style WH cover in the Wuthering Heights thread!

I suppose I can see that it's good if it means it gets children/teenagers (and even adults) reading different genres. However, I haven't read the book myself so I might be wrong but having watched the TV production (which I know is different from the book) I can't necessarily seeing it appeal just because of a cover!

That's a really nice edition. I've got the one muggle mentioned, although haven't got around to reading it yet. As for my opinions on the cover, I'm divided like a few others. On one hand it may get younger people reading the novel - well at least discovering more of an interest in the book. However on the other hand it's misleading and getting out of hand. It annoys me to no end that they're using some tiny part of twilight - due to it's huge popularity - to try get people to buy Wuthering Heights.

I actually dont have any intention of reading the series but I will say this, in my bookshoppe, we couldnt keep the books on the shelf. When the movie first came out, it was so bad, I actually had to scour Best Buy and Walmart for copies to tide us over til we could get another shipment:roll: Special orders, prepaid orders, PLEASEI'VEGOTTOHAVETHISBOOKRIGHTNOWORIWILLDIEBECAUSEALLMYFRIENDSHAVEREADITANDTHEYWONTLENDITTOMEANDIHAVENTANDIWILLBESOUNCOOL!! Talk about your teenage girl drama!:D

I actually dont have any intention of reading the series but I will say this, in my bookshoppe, we couldnt keep the books on the shelf. When the movie first came out, it was so bad, I actually had to scour Best Buy and Walmart for copies to tide us over til we could get another shipment:roll: Special orders, prepaid orders, PLEASEI'VEGOTTOHAVETHISBOOKRIGHTNOWORIWILLDIEBECAUSEALLMYFRIENDSHAVEREADITANDTHEYWONTLENDITTOMEANDIHAVENTANDIWILLBESOUNCOOL!! Talk about your teenage girl drama!:D

:blush: I'm glad those days are behind me! (ish!) :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am finally reading the library copy of Twilight. It is a book that I a wanted to read so I could have a vie w on the debate :friends0: So far I have only read 50 pages and it is OK. it was easy to read down the park while my kids were having a play. Still not sure if this is going to be my sort of thing, but willing to give anything a shot.