Quit!

Cougar

Talking about books. Quit dissecting them. Quit Ratting them. Quit criticizing them. Quit pointing out where they came up short. Quit with all of it.

People kill everything anyone ever wrote a book for with all their jaw jabbering.

But we are sharing the joy of reading, it's so much more about the positive than the negative when we discuss them.

I read such a variety of genres, styles etc, it would be impossible for everyone to enjoy the same ones that I have. That's part of the joy of reading and chatting about them all.

Just look at the 'Top 5' style threads, not just here, but on other sites. How much more varied could they be?

It's not killing them, constructive debate is healthy for readers and authors alike.

I sort of see your point a bit Cougar, if you dissect something too much it can spoil your appreciation of it. I found that was rather the case at school when we studied poems. Rather than enjoying the whole thing, it was pulled to bits and analysed. It sometimes felt too clinical. But different people have different views on books. What one person criticises may be what another likes best. There is no right and wrong, just different opinions and I suppose that what a book forum is for ....to discuss books :)

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is?

As has been pointed out, this is a book forum for the discussion of books and reading. What one person loves, another will hate - that's what makes the world go round.

In the time I've been a member here, I don't remember seeing many books that everyone on the entire forum who has read it has hated it, and therefore dissecting it.

If you don't want to read any negative views then this forum is perhaps not for you?

I don't think there is much dissection going on here, really - we're not critiquing, taking works apart chapter by chapter in the way that is useful, say, on a writer's forum, in which case dissection equals constructive criticism.

What we do is talk about books, the way they made us cry/laugh/rejoice/weep with indignation, or failed to do so, in much the same way you might reccommend or fail to reccommend a book to a group of friends over a cup of coffee. To be honest, I wouldn't say this goes against everything books are written for - as a (yet unpubished) writer, what more could I daydream that, someday, my work will be known enough to warrant discussion on a forum such as this?

Edited by BookJumper

If you write something or put any form of art out there, people will discuss it, interpret it, criticize it, love it, hate it, whatever - the fact that people take an interest in the author's work probably makes them happy.

Talking about books. Quit dissecting them. Quit Ratting them. Quit criticizing them. Quit pointing out where they came up short. Quit with all of it.

You write things like that here, then post this in another thread.

I just finished this book, and felt like it was a interesting story, and really well written, but it felt empty up until the ending kind of wrapped it all together. Why is this book considered a great American classic? Is it solely because of its interpretation of wealth and glamour?

I think these reasons are to little to give it the credit it receives. Anybody have some insight for me?

Don't get me wrong, all in all, I liked the book.

Sorry, but you contradict yourself in your first two posts on this site.

Think next time you make comments like that, yeah?