Star Trek & Stargate (& other Sci-Fi)

Nollaig

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

If you haven't seen Farscape watch it, it was brilliant was glued to the TV throughout although I love Angel too

Look at me resurrecting old threads again ... :giggle2:

I have, at one stage or another, liked just about every show mentioned in this thread :lol:

But Farscape was my favourite, pickle, especially seasons 2 and 3 - some awesome stuff in those years.

Look at me resurrecting old threads again ... :giggle2:

I have, at one stage or another, liked just about every show mentioned in this thread :lol:

But Farscape was my favourite, pickle, especially seasons 2 and 3 - some awesome stuff in those years.

Did you watch the mini film to close the series loved it tied up loose threads

Did you watch the mini film to close the series loved it tied up loose threads

Of course! This is your universe :D

I think, over the years, I've owned about four different versions of Farscape on dvd and now on blu-ray. Brilliant series. Whenever I talk (or type) about it, it just makes me want to watch it again. Might have to dig out Liars, Guns & Money and have a re-watch :smile:

Holy Thread Revival, Batman!

Stargate SG-1 is my absolute favourite TV series. Although the later seasons without Jack O.Neil/MacGyver were lacking a certain something..... I can't think what..... TNG comes a close second. I never saw any Farscape or Battlestar Galactica so I couldn't comment.

Amanda Tapping is Le Gorgeous. :wub:

• 6 months later...

I've been watching Stargate Universe on Pick over the last ten weeks and it is now up to the end of the first series.

It's not the Stargate I've known and enjoyed over the years (in the form of SG-1 and Atlantis), it certainly feels more like Galactica, but it's not bad.

Robert Carlyle is excellent as the unpredictable and volatile Dr. Rush.

Edited by Raven

I agree Raven! I recently watched both series of that (granted I'm a huge Robert Carlyle fan anyway) but I actually really enjoyed it. Definitely not on a par with other Stargate shows and I can see both why people might not have liked it, and why it got cancelled, but I enjoyed it. I liked the unusual approach of putting normal songs with lyrics, often by bands I've even heard of, into dramatic scenes and so on. And the characters actually really grow on you!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Babylon 5 might be a big pile of s*** (according to one Mr. Bisley, anyway) .

And Sheldon Cooper ("You call that dialogue?" :lol: ).  Its lows were lower than some, for sure, but its highs were higher than most.  When it first started on Channel Four (20 years ago . . . crikey) I called it Bolloxon 4 :giggle2:  

^ More like 19 years ago, given the series proper didn't air in the US until 11 months after the pilot.

Yes, it was clunky in places (and it could have used a whole heap more money), but I really liked Babylon 5 for the most part.  The 5th series was a let-down, but series 2 to 4 were amongst some of the best TV sci-fi I've seen.

• 4 weeks later...

Finished watching Firefly through again on Blu-ray last night (very pretty, but some of the effects shots look a bit ropey in HD!).

Why oh why did this only run for 14 episodes?! 

Someone at Fox should have been shot for making the cancellation call.

We've finished watching Star Trek: Enterprise, next up are Firefly (DVD), Star Trek: The Original Series (Blu-ray) or Game of Thrones (Blu-ray). All three are good shows (or so I've heard, I haven't seen any Firefly yet myself) so we'll have to see what we feel like (when my boyfriend's here next, I want to watch it all with him so I won't start it on my own).

I think I've watched some Stargate. Is that the TV show? I know there's one that gets repeated on the Sky channel and I've seen it. Couldn't really remember the name. :lol:

I didn't mind the first Star Trek film. It was quite good. Absolutely love Spok! Was on World of Warcraft once and just shouted "I AM SPOK". Think people were like WTF?! :lol:

What is this spok you speak of? :shrug:;)

We've finished watching Star Trek: Enterprise, next up are Firefly (DVD), Star Trek: The Original Series (Blu-ray) or Game of Thrones (Blu-ray). All three are good shows (or so I've heard, I haven't seen any Firefly yet myself) so we'll have to see what we feel like (when my boyfriend's here next, I want to watch it all with him so I won't start it on my own).

As Raven said, you can't really lose whichever you choose, Athena.  For argument's sake, though, I'd personally go with Firefly first (14 eps, a movie, and you're done - although you'll undoubtedly wish there were more), then Star Trek TOS (or the first two seasons, anyway), and then Game of Thrones as - by the time you've watched the other two shows - the third season will probably be available as well :D

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Thanks for the advice, Raven and Karsa. Your reasoning makes sense, Karsa, I'll keep it in mind. I'll have to discuss it with my boyfriend to see what he feels like watching too, though if/when I have a particular preference he might not mind it.

@ risingdawn

I don't know if you mean Stargate or not, but I love that series. I own all versions, seasons and films on dvd, though I haven't yet seen Stargate Universe season two. I was watching those with my brother but he was in Switzerland for half a year (well, five months) so we haven't watched any more of it yet. I'll get around to it eventually XD. I have to say I prefer Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis over Stargate Universe. Universe is still good but the whole ship thing reminds me a bit of other tv shows, whereas the gates in SG-1 and Atlantis seemed more unique to me.