Star Trek & Stargate (& other Sci-Fi)

Nollaig

:lol: Spelt it wrong! Oops.

No wonder no-one on Warcraft knew what you were on about :lol:

@ risingdawn

I don't know if you mean Stargate or not, but I love that series. I own all versions, seasons and films on dvd, though I haven't yet seen Stargate Universe season two. I was watching those with my brother but he was in Switzerland for half a year (well, five months) so we haven't watched any more of it yet. I'll get around to it eventually XD. I have to say I prefer Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis over Stargate Universe. Universe is still good but the whole ship thing reminds me a bit of other tv shows, whereas the gates in SG-1 and Atlantis seemed more unique to me.

I didn't like SG:U at all - I got bored after eight episodes and gave up :shrug:  I liked both the others, though.  Atlantis was my fave, I just preferred the characters in it, for the first three seasons at least, until they started messing around with it.  I've still got about three seasons of SG-1 to watch, so I still haven't got to the seasons where Syfy tried to mollify us Farscape fans by bringing half the cast over :irked:  No, I won't get over it :giggle2:

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just finished watching SG-1 through again and the last couple of series with Ben Browder and Claudia Black are pretty good.

Stargate Universe grew on me, but I think they should have stayed closer to the more traditional Stargate format (cool good guys, evil bad guys all held together with plenty of flippant humour).  Although it did work better the longer you watched it, I think they made a mistake in trying to make it more edgy. 

Finished watching Firefly through again on Blu-ray last night (very pretty, but some of the effects shots look a bit ropey in HD!).

Why oh why did this only run for 14 episodes?! 

Someone at Fox should have been shot for making the cancellation call.

It didn't run for the full season - they cancelled it before it reached the end. The other episodes (which had already been made) were aired in subsequent showings but not the original one. It only really got popular by word of mouth after it had been cancelled, and now has a MASSIVE cult following. I was one of the lucky ones who saw it first time round and was devastated when it got cancelled. I was SO pleased when it got reruns and I bought the complete set of DVDs as soon as they came out. :)

I'm in the minority - I couldn't get into Firefly at ALL. I just did not like it. I really enjoyed Stargate Universe, but I took it as a wholly seperate entity to the other Stargate shows - it did what Enterprise did, essentially, which is veer off down the soap-opera-in-space route. Doesn't work massively well in the mainstream. I hated Enterprise, despite the magnificent opening sequence. Anddd I guess if I'm completely honest, I largely liked SG-U due to Robert Carlyle :P

I was one of the lucky ones who saw it first time round and was devastated when it got cancelled. I was SO pleased when it got reruns and I bought the complete set of DVDs as soon as they came out. :)

Same here! :smile:   Fox never seemed to want it, messing with the running order and showing it opposite the World Series that year.  It was never going to succeed.  At least he got the chance to finish the story, though.  We managed to get to an advance screening of Serenity - that was a fun night with the Browncoats  :D

It didn't run for the full season - they cancelled it before it reached the end. The other episodes (which had already been made) were aired in subsequent showings but not the original one. It only really got popular by word of mouth after it had been cancelled, and now has a MASSIVE cult following. I was one of the lucky ones who saw it first time round and was devastated when it got cancelled. I was SO pleased when it got reruns and I bought the complete set of DVDs as soon as they came out. :)

I know!  My comment was more of a lament than a question! (but thanks for the answer!).

I'm in the minority - I couldn't get into Firefly at ALL. I just did not like it. I really enjoyed Stargate Universe, but I took it as a wholly seperate entity to the other Stargate shows - it did what Enterprise did, essentially, which is veer off down the soap-opera-in-space route. Doesn't work massively well in the mainstream. I hated Enterprise, despite the magnificent opening sequence. Anddd I guess if I'm completely honest, I largely liked SG-U due to Robert Carlyle :P

I didn't have as much of a problem with Enterprise as I did with Voyager.  Whilst neither are particularly bad, I think Enterprise was at least trying something a bit different, where Voyager was just stuck in the same gear (second) for seven years.

Edited by Raven

I didn't have as much of a problem with Enterprise as I did with Voyager.  Whilst neither are particularly bad, I think Enterprise was at least trying something a bit different, where Voyager was just stuck in the same gear (second) for seven years.

Voyager had my favourite opening title sequence of all the Treks (apart from the original), but that's about it.  I'd watch it just for that :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Has anyone else watched Falling Skies?

I've just finished the first series (it was going for a fiver in HMV) and I found it to be oddly . . . flat?

The premise is okay, but the characters are all cardboard and very cliché (even the bad guys are good, 'cept the ones who raped someone, but they got shot so that was all right . . .).

There is very little sense of threat, even when the aliens are on screen. 

I've been left with the feeling that there could have been a very good show here, but they didn't want to offend anyone so they played it safe.

Has anyone seen it?  Does it improve?

Even Sarah Carter's presence couldn't save it for me :o

Her character typifies for me what is wrong with the series. 

When she was first introduced it was very unsubtly dropped into the plot that she knew about local drug dealers and, later, about hospitals as well.  What kind of dark secret could she be hiding?  Is she a member of a drug gang who's life will be turned around by her experiences fighting shoulder-to-shoulder against the alien scum?  No, in the "dramatic" reveal, it turns out she is another nice person; she just had cancer once and used drugs for pain relief, then it's never mentioned again. 

This series has less edges that a ball. 

To quote(ish) Grandpa Simpson: If you like your television to be bland and inoffensive . . .

• 9 months later...

Has anyone else watched Defiance

I just picked up the first series and have three episodes left to go.  It's interesting in a "not much going on" kind of way.  The plot seems to be building towards something but the series has mainly been about getting to know the characters.  I'll be interested to see where this goes.

In a lot of ways this is similar to Falling Skies, but this has some edges to it.

Edited by Raven

• 1 month later...

I've mentioned Defiance a fair few times in the 'What are you watching' thread - been watching it since it started on Syfy a couple of years ago.  Looking forward to season 3.

• 1 month later...

I've never seen any of the newer stuff, only the older series. I liked those, though :).

Has anyone seen Firefly? I am too lazy to read all the pages in this thread to find out at the moment :blush2::P. We've seen two episodes so far, then I got too tired to watch more. I hope to watch some more soon though, we have had the DVD long enough :D.

Edited by Athena

• 1 month later...

Awww :(. My greataunt suffered from a stroke, and she has never been the same (she is partly paralysed and has memory problems, she is being cared for in an institution or such because she can't do much herself anymore). I hope Nichelle will not have as many problems :(.

Edited by Athena

According to this article, http://www.startrek.com/article/nichelle-nichols-health-improving she is improving.  She's had scans and seems normal for the most part.  I hope she only needs a bit of physical therapy.  I've always admired her a great deal. 

• 3 months later...