Star Trek & Stargate (& other Sci-Fi)

Nollaig

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, after many stops and starts, I finally got to the end of the first series of The Next Generation last night.

Some good episodes towards the end help lift it a bit, but generally it has dated badly and some of the early episodes are ropey as hell (compared to the standard you would expect from a TV series today).

One thing that made me laugh when watching the last episode, The Neutral Zone, was that for an entire series Troi generally had little more to do than sit on the Bridge saying "I think he's a bit angry, Captain" when they were being shot at. Then, when some people from the 20th century are defrosted and are struggling to adjust to their new lives, she's nowhere to be seen! (they even call in Worf at one point, but Troi? Noooooo!).

• 3 weeks later...
Just read that Stargate Universe has been renewed for a second series (I won't post a link to the article as it is rather spoilery!).

I just died a little inside.

But I'm not surprised. I've stopped watching Universe. One too many emo scenes with drunks and unforgiving wives. Only good episode so far was

the time travel one

. And that's just because I'm a sucker for time travel, even simplistic examples like that.

• 2 weeks later...

SG-Universe is a soap opera in space, basically. It's very generic, most of the characters aren't particularly likeable and generally the episodes aren't particularly interesting. I watched about 8 episodes before I gave up on it.

Ahh too bad. Ofcourse I'll give it a try, did so with every Star Trek that came out, but well, me and soap operas don't really get along, so if you compare this to that.. :friends0:

I like SG1 the best, Jack's my fav character, was a little cranky when he sorta disappeared off the show, but I got to like the new characters lots too. Plus it was nice to have a different adversary than the Goa'uld, call me crazy but after so many seasons these guys were beginning t get on my nerves. :D

Stargate Atlantis, well I watched about two seasons, these days I don't have much time to watch series (and currently working on getting through all seasons of the X-files again) so haven't seen much more than that. Teyla and Ronon were so annoying. :( Love this whole ancient technology thing, but still, am an SG1 girl. :guess:

Also, I love Doctor Who, at least the new series, at least the first two (or three) seasons, again haven't seen much more. And Torchwood. <3

I have been a Stargate fan since the film, and have watched all the episodes. I have started to watch Universe but it's just not working for me. I find that I just don't care about the characters most of whom I couldn't even name if you asked me.

Not into Stargate.

Into Star Trek. My favorite series is Voyager, but also really like TNG. My mother & father used to watch (re-watch) the original series when I was a kid, it was still sort of new then. I'm not a fan of Deep Space Nine as a whole, but I do like some of the actors, and Enterprise....blah!!

• 1 month later...

I just want to say that, in the TNG episode 'Cause & Effect', (the time loop one) I NEVER fail to laugh during:

The Poker game where Riker, Worf & Crusher start correctly naming the cards Data is about to deal, when Data looks up at them and, completely deadpan, says: 'This is highly improbable'.

:roll::):(

I have the weirdest sense of humor.

I really liked both Trek and Star Gate, although with Trek the later series, preferably Voyager although was a big fan of NG when it was new looking back on it now it seems so dated also could not stand Wesley Crusher..loved Data though..

To all you Star Gate fans out there I got a CV from a Daniel Jackson a couple of months ago and he is an archaeologist too, don't think it was the Star Gate one though..shame :roll:

^No you don't, Data is just funny. Really, he is. Everyone loves Data. Though..

not as much as Tasha Yar..

:)

I never liked her, but I do always get a bit teary when I think about her and Data, and Data's little hologram of her.

I also love how far removed Brent Spiner is from the character of Data. Brent is SO sarky, pedantic, witty, etc that it sort of adds to Data's individuality and authenticity as a personality that he's nothing like the actor who portrays him.

To all you Star Gate fans out there I got a CV from a Daniel Jackson a couple of months ago and he is an archaeologist too, don't think it was the Star Gate one though..shame :roll:

Man. That's so awesome. I'd nearly marry him on those grounds alone. I love Daniel Jackson. He's just such a cool guy, and I love how he starts out as a nervous, long-winded nerd, but over the course of the series actually turns into quite the occasional badass while retaining his lovable nerdiness.

Edited by Nollaig

I never liked her

Now, now, jealousy does not become you! (I always preferred Ro Laren myself).

I finished watching Deep Space Nine on Wednesday; just as good as ever. A really good group of characters and a great cast that were never really equalled or bettered, and some very good stories.

What next, Angel or Farscape?

Now, now, jealousy does not become you! (I always preferred Ro Laren myself).

I finished watching Deep Space Nine on Wednesday; just as good as ever. A really good group of characters and a great cast that were never really equalled or bettered, and some very good stories.

What next, Angel or Farscape?

Jealous?! Of Tasha?! She was so BORING and so NICEY NICE. Give me Ro Laren any day as well.

Ahhh DS9. I still haven't seen it all. Just many, many episodes over the years, I have no idea of storylines etc. I love Julian Bashir & Garek. Brilliant pair.

ANGEL ANGEL ANGEL! I've never seen Farscape, so I'm completely inclined towards Angel.

Jealous?! Of Tasha?! She was so BORING and so NICEY NICE.

But she did get a spot of robot lovin'!

ANGEL ANGEL ANGEL! I've never seen Farscape, so I'm completely inclined towards Angel.

I'm leaning towards Farscape as I only have the one series of that to watch, and all five of Angel. I think it will come down to what I feel like when I sit down in front of the TV next . . .

But she did get a spot of robot lovin'!

Can I just point out, I don't FANCY Data. Unlike a certain somebody, I like my men to be capable of emotion. (Data wasn't til much much later). He's like a kid, only rather than being limited by inexperience and underdevelopment, he's completely bound by logic and limited abilities (like, said lack of emotion) in his attempt to understand the chaotic nature of humans, and yet he strives so ferverently to understand that nature, to become more human himself. He's like a walking, talking bit of Philosophy. And he's hilarious.

I love Star Trek, all incarnations except Enterprise, i just cant watch that without thinking that Al is going to appear at any moment in his white suit and we'll hear the words 'Oh Boy'!!

I didnt like Voyager at first but I warmed to it, and it was always going to be a winner considering that it has so much more Borg in it than any other series.

The Next Generation is probably my favourite, I absolutely love Q. How cool is he? oh to be an omnipotent Q!

Sliders was good wasnt it? only, it did get a bit Quantum-Leapy towards the end. i dont remember seeing it all the way through. it annoyed me too much in that episode when they got home but didnt realise cos the guy's mum had oiled her gate :(

Anyone remember Dark Skies? where their eyes went all black and everyone was taken over by aliens. There was this great episode when they pulled a mind control alien out of a guy's head.

Farscape was good, but the end was a total cop-out. Like the makers just didnt have anymore ideas. didnt they all turn into pixels or something? :D

I love Star Trek, all incarnations except Enterprise, i just cant watch that without thinking that Al is going to appear at any moment in his white suit and we'll hear the words 'Oh Boy'!!

I didnt like Voyager at first but I warmed to it, and it was always going to be a winner considering that it has so much more Borg in it than any other series.

The Next Generation is probably my favourite, I absolutely love Q. How cool is he? oh to be an omnipotent Q!

Sliders was good wasnt it? only, it did get a bit Quantum-Leapy towards the end. i dont remember seeing it all the way through. it annoyed me too much in that episode when they got home but didnt realise cos the guy's mum had oiled her gate :(

Anyone remember Dark Skies? where their eyes went all black and everyone was taken over by aliens. There was this great episode when they pulled a mind control alien out of a guy's head.

Farscape was good, but the end was a total cop-out. Like the makers just didnt have anymore ideas. didnt they all turn into pixels or something? :D

Farscape continues after the pixels with a long edition movie worth watching..I think they had decided to cancel the series then did a film after protests

Farscape continues after the pixels with a long edition movie worth watching..I think they had decided to cancel the series then did a film after protests

ooh! i didnt know that. is it available on DVD?

up until the pixels i really liked it so felt a bit cheated. i'd definately like to see the real ending. thanks for that! :D