The Big 'Chick Lit' Survey - For the Fans and the Critics!

Hi everyone!

I am currently doing a dissertation on the critical success factors and criticism of Chick Lit. If anyone would like to help by filling out this survey it would be greatly appreciated. There are two surveys - one for fans of Chick Lit and another for those who dislike or do not read Chick Lit. Please complete the survey that applies to you by clicking on the following links...

Chick Lit Readers

http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=HKJDN_9ac8d529

Non-Chick Lit Readers

http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=HKKEH_6b722b6a

If you wish to leave any further comments (text boxes are quite small) please feel free to do so on here and leave them open for discussion.

Also, I'm looking to find out what people feel are some of the most influential novels in the progression of Chick Lit?

'Bridget Jones Diary' for example, or 'Sex and the City'

Does anyone have any other suggestions? What novels have made an impact since then?

I have just completed the "critics" survey. On a side note, I actually enjoyed "Bridget Jones' Diary" very much, but then I don't consider it chick lit. Though it does have the Mr. Right/Mr. Wrong/Bezzie Mates ingredients and the feel good factor, its style and wit put it on a level chick lit isn't.

I was considering doing both. I have a love/hate thing going on with chick lit. Plus, I used to really like it but I've gone off it recently. ;)

We have turned you to the dark side mwahmwah :smile2:

I did the non chicklit one :shrug:

I used to and now I don't!

However, if the same person does both, then doesn't that basically make their opinion null-and-void when it comes to surveys?

I guess it is pretty hard to choose when you like it and love it at the same time. But yes, it would make it void if you were to do both. Maybe I should have created a third survey for those in the middle, haha. Just try and think which percentage is highest in terms of like and dislike - is it really 50/50 or maybe 49/51, the good outweighing the bad, or vice versa...

Completed the survey.. and it's up to all of you to guess which survey I took! hahahhaha rofl.. haha... :)

Phillipa, is there a way you can post some of the results you have so far? Like the poll results from some of the surveys? I'd love to see how it's working out :)

Phillipa, is there a way you can post some of the results you have so far? Like the poll results from some of the surveys? I'd love to see how it's working out :)

Yes sure, I can't at the moment though but I will be able to make them available in the near future :-)

PS - The responses I've had so far have been great and really encouraging (apart from one sick little pervert, theres always one!) I just want to thank everyone who has filled it in so far, and keep em coming...

I did the Chick-lit readers one, though like a few others, I go through phases of reading them & not reading them. Depends really on what I want to get out of my reading, what kind of mood I'm in & what kind of week I've had!

I have a real thing about chick lit, I like it lots but can also see why people don't, as we all have different tastes and favourite genres no problem there.

Do think that there is a school of thought (not on here) to look down on chick lit (and therefore the people who read it) because it is light, written mainly by women for women and that makes me cross!

I did it too!

I'm currently reading "This charming man" marion keyes

I just finished reading Rachel's Holiday, it took me a while to get into it but I am surprised at how much I liked it, looks like theres going to be a lot more Marian Keyes reading for me in the future. 'This Charming Man' sounds good, but I think I am persuaded aswell by the Smiths title, haha. I hear a cover version of the song is to be released to tie in with this book? V V Brown is it?

I'm a big fan of chick-lit, but I've yet to read any of Marian Keyes books, but I will definitely try some once I've reduced my TBR pile.

There was an interview with her on the Claudia Winkleman show on Radio 2 this weekend, and one of the things she talked about was about the label "chick-lit". Claudia said that lots of female writers think chick-lit is a degrading thing, but that Marian has been quoted as saying it should be celebrated. Marian's response was that (and if you've heard her speak before, you'll know this is the correct length of her sentences!) she thinks it's the literature of post-feminism, because it is about our lives, and when it first erupted onto the scene in about 1994 we were told as women that feminism was over, the war was won, everything was equal, but that on the ground we knew that was not the case as we were at war with our bodies, worried about our food, trying to get to the gym, we didn't have the same prospects that men did, we were trying to juggle children and jobs. Chick-lit was meant as a pejorative term, and given to that genre to try and degrade it, but she thinks it is a very powerful genre, because it's honest, it's honest about our lives, our sexuality, our jobs, and articulated the things we didn't know how to express, and she thinks it's wonderful and empowering if we let it be!

I've paraphrased some of this because she talks very fast and I couldn't catch all of it, but it was a lovely interview with her.