Jeffery Deaver

I've read most of his books and can honestly say I've never gotten any of his twists!

I think sometimes I've figured it out but I've just been lulled into a false sense of security..

'The Coffin Dancer' was brilliant and I also really liked 'The Empty Chair'.

I've got his new book to read (I think it's called 'The Bodies Left Behind') on my huge pile of books to read so will let you know how I get in. The only thing it it isn't a Lincoln Rhyme book, which are my favourite!!

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Come on guys! Will anyone be reading The Stone Monkey, any time soon?

Sorry - I've already read it!

Another brilliant book!

:roll:

Yes it does, doesn't it? :roll:

Have you read The Blue Nowhere? I know I go on about it but it is rather good ;) I have The Twelfth Card and The Sleeping Doll on my TBR shelf, gonna leave The Twelfth Card until I read the prequels though.

Yes I have read the blue nowhere, but quite a long time ago - the story is rather hazy in my mind. Might re-read it later....

I have The twelfth card in my TBR pile too :roll: We'll read it together later ;) Have never read anything about the Sleeping doll yet....but I would need to read it - as its a LR one

Yes I have read the blue nowhere, but quite a long time ago - the story is rather hazy in my mind. Might re-read it later....

I have The twelfth card in my TBR pile too :roll: We'll read it together later ;) Have never read anything about the Sleeping doll yet....but I would need to read it - as its a LR one

I dont believe it is a LR one, is it not a Kathryn Dance novel?

When are y'all planning on reading The Sleeping Doll? I have it on my pile, too. I want to read it relatively soon as it is the "prequel", if you will, to his next novel, which picks up exactly where this one leaves off.

I'm still reading The Coffin Dancer, I'm on page 350 or something. I'm really really intrigued by it but I have been surprisingly busy for the last few days so I haven't had as much time to read as I would have wished. There are a few things I'd like to mention about the book. First of all,

I was really pissed at Percey for trying to save her plane and risking her own life while trying to close the doors, thus forcing others to react and protect her. Poor Banks. I was so glad Sachs scolded her for it. However, I was utterly surprised when Rhyme defended Percey :) He's been really distant towards Sachs and I'm sorta pissed out about it on her behalf. I think it's so cute that Sachs is so jealous over Rhyme, though.

The second thing I have to say is that my favorite bit so far has been

the encounter between Stephen and Jodie. I think their conversations were so touching in some ways. For a second I forgot that Stephen was a brutal murderer and I just enjoyed seeing his humane side. It didn't come as a surprise though that he would kill Jodie and have no regrets about it. I was surprised though that the bomb was in the cell phone he gave to Jodie. I wasn't surprised that Rhyme had figured it out, but I never, never would've guessed he would use it as a decoy and fake an exlosion of a smaller scale. That was just so incredibly genious of him, I think. But I did figure out that Stephen would try to enter as a fireman.

But that was just about the only thing I've been able to figure out, all the other twists have come as a surprise. That's why I like Deaver so much :D

I'm hoping to finish the book tonight. I'm going to have start looking for the other Lincoln Rhyme -books online, there are no copies in the library and I think I'll want to own them as I'm sure I'll read them more than once.

I finished The Historian! :D Do I read Deaver (The Bone Collector) or Dexter next??

I'm thinking you should read The Bone Collector first because it's amazing! (And because I still need to read The Vampire Lestat before I can move on to Dexter in the Dark.) But if you already want to read Dexter go ahead, I'll catch up with you later. Maybe Ceinwenn is already waiting for you to begin reading darlind delectable Dexter :smile2:

I finished The Coffin Dancer this morning and it really did blow my mind!! I thought nothing could beat The Bone Collector but this one was just so amazing. Those of you who've read the book and read my spoilertags know how stupid I feel right about now :)

At some point I did think that maybe there was something fishy about Jodie, but I was thinking more along the lines that maybe he and Stephen switched places in the old station and Stephen went along with Dellray and Sachs, playing the role of Jodie. But as Stephen continued his journey in the first person monologue I knew that that wasn't it. That's what threw me, reading Stephen Kall's own thoughts in first person. I never questioned Stephen being the Coffin Dancer. I never never would've guessed he was just a contract killer hired by the real Dancer.

The point when I thought

the game was lost was when Percey, Brad and Bell were in the plain and found out about the bomb. I couldn't figure out how they would come out of it alive. Deaver's just genious. Rhyme has so many different options which he suggested and when all seemed useless he came up with yet another one. That Denver idea was amazing.

Also,

Talbot being the person behind all of it instead of Hansen was a surprise, too. I did think at one point that the company was doing a bit too badly for one that seemed to be getting so many gigs and I thought that maybe there was something fishy about that, maybe somebody had too deep pockets for the company's good. But I forgot about this and didn't connect it with the whole story at any point. I never liked Percey, but when they discovered that Talbot did this all I felt so sorry for her :yahoo:

I'm sure there was something else but I can't remember what it was. Maybe it'll come to me later. All I gotta say is that Deaver's just brilliant, I don't know how he does it.

Frankie, very well put! It's nice to see that I'm not the only one that got caught out by the devious twists & turns that Mr. Deaver is so brilliant at!

The only twist I did vaguely remember is the one at the very end, being that Talbot was the one behind it all. I didn't remember why, or how, just that he was the one behind it. Right around the time Talbot starts to do the repairs on the 2nd lear is when I remembered that he was in on it & I kept waiting for them to show me how, which obviously doesn't happen until the end.

A brilliant book & I am really glad that I re-read it!