Jeffery Deaver

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Woo hoo! Charm, that's a great deal you got! If I hadn't already read most of them I'd be getting them for myself!

Me too! Although they do have an classic book collection thats really pretty. Not sure if it's Austen or Dickens (????) but the covers are really nice. I wouldn't mind duplicating those books :)

OK Confession time;) I've never read a Jeffery Deaver book. I have been told they are really great (on here and other forums) and by friends. Sooooo what is stopping me. I know I will upset a few people here but I have problems with US crime books. I expect it is because I like my crime to take place in English (or French) villages with characters such as Miss Marple or Insp Barnarby and Jacquot (in the French ones) - or more likely, medieval ones like Br. Cadfael etc.

I think I will give one of Deaver's books go though. A friend suggested Vanishing Point (is that right?) but would like to have suggestions from you dear peeps on here on what to try first and what epitomises his style of writing the best.

SueK, it's quite alright if you don't want to read US crime fiction. There's nothing wrong with the UK ones and if that's what you want to read then feel free! :tong: But if you want to give Lincoln Rhyme -books a try, I'd recommend to start with the first book in the series, The Bone Collector. You never know, you might get hooked and then you'll be glad you started from the beginning :D

SueK, it's quite alright if you don't want to read US crime fiction. There's nothing wrong with the UK ones and if that's what you want to read then feel free! :tong: But if you want to give Lincoln Rhyme -books a try, I'd recommend to start with the first book in the series, The Bone Collector. You never know, you might get hooked and then you'll be glad you started from the beginning :D

Thanks Frankie, re the Bone Collector, is that based on the film with Denzel Washington (as a paraplegic?), if so, great film.

Just to give a bit more info, I used to read loads of US crime thrillers and still fancy picking up a Raymond Chandler now and again. I think that there was such a glut of them a while back it was like overkill. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Thanks Frankie, re the Bone Collector, is that based on the film with Denzel Washington (as a paraplegic?), if so, great film.

Just to give a bit more info, I used to read loads of US crime thrillers and still fancy picking up a Raymond Chandler now and again. I think that there was such a glut of them a while back it was like overkill. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Yep that's the one! The movie is slightly different from the book but I don't know what to say so that I wouldn't spoil anything. However, if you feel like you've already experienced what there is to experience in The Bone Collector, you might want to try the second book "The Coffin Dancer" which I thought was even better than The Bone Collector!

Yip :tong: I agree with Frankie. The Bone Collector is a great place to start. If you'd rather read a stand alone novle first I'd recommend The Blue Nowhere. Both books are excellent reads. :D

Well, the Bone Collector is his 10th book, and sorry ladies, but not necessarily where I would recommend starting to read Deaver. I would recommend an even later book - The Blue Nowhere. (From Deaver's website)

The Blue Nowhere (2001)

When a sadistic hacker, code-named Phate, sets his sights on Silicon Valley, his victims never know what hit them. He infiltrates their computers, invades their lives, and lures them to their deaths. To Phate, each murder is like a big, challenging computer hack: every time he succeeds, he must challenge himself anew— by taking his methodology to a higher level, and aiming at bigger targets.

Desperate, the head of The California State Police Computer Crimes Division frees Wyatt Gillette, imprisoned for hacking, to aid the investigation — against the loud protests of the rest of the division. With an obsession emblematic of hackers, Gillette fervently attempts to trace Phate's insidious computer virus back to its source. Then Phate delivers a huge blow, murdering one of the division's own — a "wizard" who had pioneered the Internet — and the search takes on a zealous intensity.

Gillette and Detective Frank Bishop — an old-school homicide cop who's accustomed to forensic sleuthing — make an uneasy team. But with a merciless and brilliant killer like Phate in their cross hairs, and his twisted game reaching a fever pitch, they must utilize every ounce of their disparate talents to stop him.

I'd pick that one because while it is part of a series it is also a stand alone novel (It's only considered as part of a trillogy because of the "Tech" subject matter), so it isn't the beginning of something you might read then feel you had to read the rest of the series of & I think it's an amazing example of what a brilliant novelist Deaver really is.

There, my 2 cents worth!

I bow to the master.

Ceinwenn, as this is the Lincoln Rhyme thread I was automatically thinking about Rhyme books, I didn't even begin to remember he's written other stuff too :D I stand corrected!

Bow to the master.

Hey, that's just my opinion - that doesn't mean I am right! (but I am:tong:) I didn't even notice we were in the Lincoln Rhyme thread - D'oh!

:tong: The thread title might just sometimes give some kind of indication of the contents of the discussion!

But at least you were right about The Bone Collector not being the first Deaver book, that's what I was mostly referring to.

Anyways, glad to hear you're still praising The Blue Nowhere as I bought it some time ago (thanks to you & Charm) and so I'll be able to read it and tell you you were right! (Possibly!!) :D

:tong:The thread title might just sometimes give some kind of indication of the contents of the discussion!

But at least you were right about The Bone Collector not being the first Deaver book, that's what I was mostly referring to.

Anyways, glad to hear you're still praising The Blue Nowhere as I bought it some time ago (thanks to you & Charm) and so I'll be able to read it and tell you you were right! (Possibly!!) :D

Cheeky!! Well, when you get to The Blue Nowhere, let me know!! I know I recommended it to Charm & she loved it (or at least she says she does, :lol:). I was blown away by it & it was the 1st Deaver book I ever read.

Thanks all for the recommendation.:D I might well give The Blue Nowhere a go. Sorry to go off thread a bit - away from the Lincoln Rhymes theme:smile2:

:D Frankie and Ceinweinn, what are you like? :tong: You two are funny,....ahhhh, I love yas both :lol: Now sit down before you hurt yourselves!

While I do agree with Frankie that the first Lincoln Rhyme book I would read is The Bone Collector (it is the first and IMO the best Lincoln Rhyme book so far), I also agree with Ceinwenn that The Blue Nowhere is the best book of Deaver's I have read yet. If you'd like to read a Deaver book that is a Lincoln Rhyme novel and sort of crosses over to the tech stuff I would give The Broken Window a shot, not as good as The Blue Nowhere or The Bone Collector I feel, but still a cracking read!

Hah! How's that for a spanner in the works!! :D

Hah! How's that for a spanner in the works!! :lol:

You're all bonkers! Haa! :D

I saw The Blue Nowhere in a charity shop today so will pop back and buy it if it's highly recommended. :D

Right....I'm leaving before I'm infected by the crazy :tong:

You're all bonkers! Haa! :tong:

I saw The Blue Nowhere in a charity shop today so will pop back and buy it if it's highly recommended. :D

Right....I'm leaving before I'm infected by the crazy :lol:

Are you mad woman? You didn't get it?? Get back there ASAP and get it!!!

(:D If you miss it I'll send you one of mine :lol:)

Haaa! You have more than one!?! It must be good if you bought it twice eh! :)

It was gone when I went back but it's on my 'To Buy' list :)

I'm reading a non-Deaver book at the mo and I'm missing him (maybe because this book is weird!) Once I've finished I'm getting back on the Deaver wagon and staying put for a while! ;)

Has anyone read the Kathryn Dance series? I had a long car journey this weekend and decide to try this series as I am intrigued by reading body language.

Dance makes her first appearance in The Cold Moon. From the blurb "An unlikely ally appears on the scene (to help Rhyme) in the form of California Bureau of Investigation special agent Kathryn Dance, one of the nation's leading experts in interrogation and kinesics—body language."

So far it is excellent. I have not read any of the Rhyme series but they are on my TBR list.

The other Dance books are:

The Sleeping Doll (2007) and

Roadside Crosses (2009)