Reading in the car?

Cadenza

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I can't read or play on my DS in the car. I start to feel really ill within the first minute. I'm fine reading or playing on my DS on the bus. Try playing Mario Kart DS on the bus, it is so much fun when you are so into the game and the bus is turning one way and your character has to turn the other, it feels really weird :smile2:! Plane I am not so bad on, but boats! I don't need to read a book on a boat to feel ill :irked:

I used to love playing mario kart on the bus :smile2: it felt like when the bus turned, i was in my crazy kart haha. Pity i can't find my ds :irked:

I see a lot of people tend to get carsick, i can read for hours on a journey and be totally fine, just immersed in the story.

I can read in a car, but only for 10 minutes bursts. And never when I'm the one driving:D
When I first read the Harry Potter books I actually did read while driving sometimes--only at lights and occasionally on side streets. I consumed those things in just a few days. The best type of crack :smile2:

I listen to audio books all the time in the car, so if that counts then... :)

But I'm with you, as a passenger I can only read for short amounts of time and I have to look up regularly so I don't get sick. So nothing heavy duty :irked:

My mum said yesterday that adults don't get car sick...I think a lot of us prove her wrong

:)!

See I dunno what happens with me, sometimes I can read and othertimes I can't even do anything, I have to sit still, close my eyes and not even speak or I'll be sick. :smile2:

I have been on uni trips lately and been on coaches and minibuses and been fine reading, but then I attempted to read on the coach going home and I felt sick and in cars I will most likely not read, I have to concentrate on the sky, the one non-moving thing lol.

I suppose it depends on the driver and how they control their car etc...or not control it and swing from side to side or make sharp turns :irked:

I listen to audio books all the time in the car, so if that counts then... :motz:

Thats a great idea! :D I'm learning to drive soon and will definitely buy some audio books once I can lol

Edited by chrysalis_stage

When I first read the Harry Potter books I actually did read while driving sometimes--only at lights and occasionally on side streets. I consumed those things in just a few days. The best type of crack :smile2:

:irked: I can imagine doing that if I could drive, as it was I was reading in in shops and stuff when I got order of the pheonix because I was shopping with a friend at the time

Thats a great idea! :irked: I'm learning to drive soon and will definitely buy some audio books once I can lol

If you drive a lot it's awesome! My city library has thousands of books on CD and I always have several checked out.

They are super expensive to buy, but a great option! Some people don't really like them, and even for me a few of the readers I've found get irritating pretty fast, but some of them are absolutely amazing. BBC puts out really great ones--even full cast recordings with music and sound effects sometimes :smile2: The Lord of the Rings series was done epically well!

You have to watch out for major abridgments though.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets car sick while reading in the car. I was starting to feel somewhat odd and thought something might be wrong with me, since almost everyone I know is capable of reading in the car without feeling like their head is swirling so much it might topple off their necks. :smile2:

I think I might be okay reading in a train, though, although I haven't been on a train ride in ages. I'd like to go on one again, soon, thinking of it now. :irked:

If you drive a lot it's awesome! My city library has thousands of books on CD and I always have several checked out.

They are super expensive to buy, but a great option! Some people don't really like them, and even for me a few of the readers I've found get irritating pretty fast, but some of them are absolutely amazing. BBC puts out really great ones--even full cast recordings with music and sound effects sometimes :irked: The Lord of the Rings series was done epically well!

You have to watch out for major abridgments though.

I'm one of those that can't really get into audio books.. For some reason, my mind just wanders. Either that, or if I really focus, I end up being a terrible driver and almost hitting things and people. :smile2:

The BBC ones actually sound really good, though.. If I can get my hands on some of those, maybe I'll try one for when I'm riding on the subway or bus sometime.

I get really bad headaches if I read for long periods in the car. Although, that doesn't usually stop me from doing it!

i agree with getting ill. i get queasy and bad headaches so i try to steer clear from it although i try to sneak it in sometimes hoping a headache wont emerge lol

I'm one of those that can't really get into audio books.. For some reason, my mind just wanders. Either that, or if I really focus, I end up being a terrible driver and almost hitting things and people. :welcomebcf:
:D It does take a certain kind of mindset. You have to train yourself not to hear it as background music, but at the same time not to zone out into the book and forget what you're doing!

I think it helped me that I took a lot of music classes throughout school where every week I had to listen really attentively to different pieces and take notes and answer questions--trained my brain to not zone out.

It's not everybody's cup of tea though.

I have major motion sickness so reading in the car is impossible.

Me too! I'm dead jealous of those that can. I find even just reading a text message makes me queasy although strangely map reading does not seem to be a problem, but at least when I'm on my own driving I'll listen to an audiobook.