Amish Community programme BBC2

Inver

Watching this at the moment...fascinating. It is so like a couple of books I have not long read. Going by what they are talking about the books were very well researched.

That was really interesting....hope the wee girl is gonna be OK :D

The books I read were bookrings on Bookcrossing

When the Heart Cries (Sisters of the Quilt #1)

When the Morning Comes (Sisters of the Quilt #2)

both by Cindy Woodsmall

When the Soul Mends (Sisters of the Quilt #3) (I haven't read this one yet)

They were really good reads.

That was really interesting....hope the wee girl is gonna be OK :lol:

The books I read were bookrings on Bookcrossing

When the Heart Cries (Sisters of the Quilt #1)

When the Morning Comes (Sisters of the Quilt #2)

both by Cindy Woodsmall

When the Soul Mends (Sisters of the Quilt #3) (I haven't read this one yet)

They were really good reads.

Thank you,I'll give these a go:D

If you're on Broadband, it's available on BBC iPlayer. :D

Why do I ALWAYS forget about that??? Just thought what a shame it was I missed it yesterday, but I would have never remembered the iPlayer myself. I really need to start using my brain :D

Anyway (:lol:) I watched it and found it quite interesting but have to say that this supports my view on Religion again. They say they live according to Gods word, but they don't even know it themselves as they have never read the Bible. It's weird people telling them how to live. That's what I dislike about religions as they always tell you they live according to God's word which is written down in the Bible, but then they go and pick like their favourite bits of it and that's it. Well, I'll come back and moan when I finished reading the Bible, guess it will take me about 2 years to do it :D

I'm not keen on the religious theme/aspect of it, for any religious denomination, as it tends to be dogmatic in regards of following the Bible's teachings.

What I do like about the Amish is the simple live they lead, without all the usual materialistic approach and of me me me attitude that is prevalent in today's society.

I know I am probably looking into this with rose tinted glasses, considering the amount of work they have to do without the modern gadgets. In my way of thinking, with modern gadgets, humans are reduced to doing nothing, with doing nothing brings on boredom and with boredom brings frustrations and with frustrations agression and so much more. Not only that but with sedentary lifestyles, many are now obese, lazy, unhealthy and such, so maybe not a bad idea to return back to the days of good honest hard labour.

Just my opinion, I'm not running for government so won't be implementing this theory/ideals/ideas/crackpot suggestion to be accepted and enforced, don't hate me! :lol::D

Batty

• 2 weeks later...

I live not far from Lancaster, Pennsylvania which has a large Amish population. I've visited Lancaster many times since my grandparents lived nearby. There is also an Amish community in my state, Maryland, and many of the families travel 4 days out of 7 to Annapolis, my home town, to sell produce, fresh meats, homemade Pennsylvania Dutch foods, quilts, handmade furniture, etc.. at the Amish Market.

The best book about the Amish I've read and is considered the most thorough is A History Of The Amish by Steven M. Nolt.

Some nice fictional series about Amish life are those written by Beverly Lewis, whose grandmother was born into an Old Order Mennonite Church. I've read the 5-book series "Abram's Daughters" and enjoyed them very much.