Dan's lists 2009

DanC_84

I've just ordered 'The Tea Rose' from my library after reading your review!

I've read 'A Gathering Light' by her so hopefully this one will be good too.

The TBR pile is now becoming never-ending!

:)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just ordered 'The Tea Rose' from my library after reading your review!

I've read 'A Gathering Light' by her so hopefully this one will be good too.

The TBR pile is now becoming never-ending!

:lol:

I have ordered that one from Amazon after reading The Tea Rose, along with the sequel - The Winter Rose.

I hope you enjoy it. It is right up there with THe Time Traveler's Wife as my favourite book so far this year.

OK, anything that someone thinks is worth getting up early to read must be good. I might take a look at this. Getting up early is SO much worse than staying up late to finish.

Haha, I know. THe thing is I did both. I was in bet just before 1am the night before then I was up at 4 30 to finish. As I was doing it I was just thinking "this is completely mental". Haha, I'm nuts.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished 'The Forgotten Garden' last night. I was up until after midnight reading it, which probably wasn't healthy considering I had a 5:30am start this morning. Still, I just couldn't put it down for the last 200-odd pages. I was totally engrossed in the story.

I was expecting a lot from the book after hearing really great things about both the book itself and Kate Morton in general. I certainly wasn't disappointed. It took me a little while to get into the swing of the book, but once I did I loved every word of it. The writing was excellent right throughout and I just loved the way she managed to keep the three separate timelines going without any degree of confusion at all. The three main characters were all extremely well-developed.

I rated it at 9.5/10, definately one of the best books I have read so far this year. Next I am going to get back into the Sookie Stackhouse series and read the 5th book - 'Dead as a Doornail'.

Sounds like an excellent read, Dan! I'm keeping it on my TBR list that's for sure :D.

Are you liking the Stackhouse books? I'm tempted to look for them at the bookstore this weekend...

Sounds like an excellent read, Dan! I'm keeping it on my TBR list that's for sure :D.

Are you liking the Stackhouse books? I'm tempted to look for them at the bookstore this weekend...

LOL, I still don't know what I think of the Stackhouse books to be honest. I just kind of use them as easy reads after I finish a really good book that is making me think a lot. They are easy enough to read, and pretty entertaining, but that is about it. That is my opinion anyway, heaps of people on here seem to really love them.

ooh, i would like to know what you think of this book when you're done with it! I really liked it, but...am not really sure if it's for guys... :D

Anywho, Good luck with your list there, Dan!

That is exactly what I thought. I kind of just added a whole lot of books to my wishlist one day based on ppls recommendations. I have been meaning to go back through and cull as I know there are several on there I won't get. I don't necessarily exclude books that are mostly for girls but that one does sound a bit much. haha.

Yes, it does! The girl goes on about...certain daydreams about this guy she likes, and does other girl stuff too. But then you went through the Twilight series, didn't you, it can't be worse than them. :D ...or can it. dun dun DUN

Funnily enough I find I prefer books from the female perspective. I think that might be why I quite liked the Twilight books. Bella was my favourite character and I didn't really like either of the guys.

It's funny I was quite the opposite. I thought Bella was quite annoying and the guys I thought were cool. :D But yes, maybe you'll actually like Sloppy Firsts! It was very good, Megan McCafferty's writing reminds me of Meg Cabot's, you know.. the girl who wrote Princess Diaries? So hopefully you'll like it, no? :D

It's funny I was quite the opposite. I thought Bella was quite annoying and the guys I thought were cool. :D But yes, maybe you'll actually like Sloppy Firsts! It was very good, Megan McCafferty's writing reminds me of Meg Cabot's, you know.. the girl who wrote Princess Diaries? So hopefully you'll like it, no? :D

My girlfriend absolutely despised Bella. I used to bait her with it.

Finished 'Dead as a Doornail' by Charlaine Harris last night. I think it was book 5 in the Sookie series? It was pretty good, better than the fourth one I thought.

Next up is 'The Winter Rose' by Jennifer Donnelly. It is the sequel to 'The Tea Rose' which I read a couple of weeks ago and absolutely loved, so I am really looking forward to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished 'The Winter Rose' by Jennifer Donnelly over the weekend. It was a massive effort, the book was over 700 pages and the font was pretty small, so it was probably the largest book I have ever read. It took me just over a week to finish.

Overall I loved the book. I rated it at 9/10, so I didn't think it was quite as good as 'THe Tea Rose' but it was still definately one of the best books I have read so far this year. Jennifer Donnelly is just so good at developing her characters and making you feel really strongly towards them, whether it be love, hate or sympathy. She is also extremely good at making seemingly ridiculous events seem totally logical and believable, which is I think an important skill when writing this type of book.

Next up I am going to continue my current obsession with novels set it late 19th/early 20th century Britain and read 'THe Great and Terrible Beaty' by Libba Bray.

I have this Libba Bray book on my TBR list.. Let me know how you like it, if you remember! :)

No worries Beth, I will be sure to. I am 100 pages through it so far. It is ok, I'm not struggling with it or anything, I think I'm just suffering from that feeling when you have read a really great book and you almost don't want to let go of the characters.

Just finished 'A Great and Terrible Beauty'. I didn't think much of it. I never really developed much of a connection with any of the characters and I thought the plot was kind of average. I found a lot of what happened in the second half of the novel to be fairly obvious also.

About to start 'Plain Truth' by Jodi Picoult which is a Beth recommendation.

'Plain Truth' by Jodi Picoult - 9/10.

This was the first Jodi Picoult book I have ever read and I will certainly be adding some more of hers to my wishlist. I really enjoyed this book. The style of writing really drew me in immediately. I loved the portrayal of Amish life which I had only a very, very basic idea about prior to reading the book and I loved the way the main character narrated every second chapter.

I thought all of the central characters were really well developed and there were basically no low periods in the book at all. The author did a great job of creating a melting pot of emotions surrounding the young Amish girl. I was up until 1 am finishing it last night, and I am paying the price for it now, but it was definately worth it. I just couldn't sleep with only 100 pages left.

Thanks very much to Beth for the recommendation! I would never have read this book without it.

I haven't decided what to read next, I will need to go through my pile tonight. Unfortunately several of the books that I really want to read at the moment are still in transit from Amazon, so I will just have to make do with another in the meantime.

I finished two books over the weekend - 'The Rum Diary' by Hunter S Thompson and 'A Gathering Light' by Jennifer Donnelly.

'The Rum Diary' was a recommendation. I really enjoyed it. It was easy to read and the author painted a really descriptive picture of San Juan and created some excellent characters.

I had massive expectations for 'A Gathering Light' after reading a couple of other Jennifer Donnelly books this year that I thought were excellent. Whilst it wasn't quite as good as 'The Tea Rose' or 'The Winter Rose', it didn't disappoint either.

Next up is 'Deal Breaker' by Harlan Coben which was a recommendation from Mac.

Edited by DanC_84

I finished two books over the weekend - 'The Rum Diary' by Hunter S Thompson and 'A Gathering Light' by Jennifer Donnelly.

Was the Rum Diary any good? I really love Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but haven't read any of his other stuff.

Was the Rum Diary any good? I really love Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but haven't read any of his other stuff.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. It was a lot different to most of the other books I have read this year as well so that was good. He provides a great portrayal of San Juan and I found the characters and the story line to be really engaging. It was all over before I knew it. A really easy and fun book to read, I would definately recommend it.

Just finished 'Deal Breaker' by Harlan Coben tonight. I rated it at 9/10.

I have been looking forward to reading this book ever since I purchased it after reading Mac's recommendations thread and I wasn't disappointed. I can't recall a thriller that I enjoyed as much as this one. It was a really cool, face-paced book and I felt the author struck the perfect balance between seriousness and humour, which I find can sometimes be hard to do with this type of book.

I really liked the main character and I also felt he developed all of the other characters very skilfully. I particularly liked the character of Win. The book is reasonably complex, and I felt at a few points in it that I was just about to fall off the edge and lose my way completely, but then all of a sudden everything would appear magically clear.

I have added the second book of the Myron Bolitar series to my wishlist. Thanks again to Mac for the recommendation, excellent book.

Next up for me is 'Ralph's Party' by Lisa Jewell, recommended by Beth.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. It was a lot different to most of the other books I have read this year as well so that was good. He provides a great portrayal of San Juan and I found the characters and the story line to be really engaging. It was all over before I knew it. A really easy and fun book to read, I would definately recommend it.

I will add it to my ever growing TBR pile, sounds like my kind of book :blush: Have you read Fear & Loathing?