Culinary question!

Nollaig

Yes.. is there anything that should't be frozen and reheated?

Well, fresh (as in uncooked) vegetables don't do too well in the freezer. So salads would be off. *laughs* That's all I can think of now. And fish. I rarely freeze cooked fish. But basically anything can be frozed. Just don't try to make ice cubes out of coca-cola, at least in the bag-thingy.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.edit: additional thoughts... plastic containers that are air-tight are the best way to go. They're easy to use, easy to clean afterwards (make sure they're washing machine -proof), can be stored efficiently and stacked in the freezer to save space. Just stop by in Ikea and stock up.

Tescos also do a very cheap range which is dishwasher safe, their economy range is about 3 for 80p or something.

. Oh, and an ice-cube tray filled with left-over red wine (oxymoron, I know). It's brilliant for sauses and stews and such, when I want to add a little flavor but can't really justify opening up a whole bottle.

This is a great idea. I do something similar with stock.

So, say that I've cooked some mince, and there's some left over - do I simply let it cool, then freeze it? How do you heat it up again.. do is need to be defrosted, then cooked, or can you simply zap it in the microwave?

(I'm not a very good cook!) :blush:

If I've made too much of a mince dish and frozen it, I would just lift it out of the freezer and zap it in the microwave until its defrosted. As long as you make sure you heat it thoroughly and keep it covered when reheating it. You don't need to defrost it first. The only cooked thing I defrost before reheating is chicken or a meat joint, everything else goes straight into the micro or if I've time the oven. Its just like using the store bought precooked meals, they are 'cook from frozen' usually.

Yes.. is there anything that should't be frozen and reheated?

Yes rice, but like Nici I do it all the time! ;) I always make loads of rice to reheat for future use, much quicker to just stick it in the microwave :D (Oh and apparently reheated battered products cause cancer, but I do that all the time too :))

Ohh is there anyway to make fresh leaves lettuce last longer than 2-3 days? You can really only get big bags of it which would last me a week, but it dies usually after 2 days so I usually don't bother with it :(

Buy an iceberg lettuce whole. Take off any spoiled leaves, wrap it in clingfilm then in tin foil (to keep it dark) and it will keep for over a week in the fridge. Just take off what you need at a time ... its also cheaper! ;)

Buy an iceberg lettuce whole. Take off any spoiled leaves, wrap it in clingfilm then in tin foil (to keep it dark) and it will keep for over a week in the fridge. Just take off what you need at a time ... its also cheaper! :blush:

Thats awesome, thanks Charm! ;)

I've been away today doing charity stuff, and came back to this impressive cooking thread! I'm inspired by all of you.. freezing wine in ice cubes for tossing into cooking later? Nice one, ii!!

And Charm -- wrapping the lettuce in cling-film, then tinfoil? So great!

All of these handy tips makes me feel like even I can do some of them while cooking!

:blush::smile2:

My boyfriend is trying to get me to start cooking. But all I've done so far is watched him make a beef stew in the slow cooker and pan fry lamb chops. I just don't like enough food to be bothered!

Well, I did make a grilled cheese sandwich last night....does that count?

My boyfriend is trying to get me to start cooking. But all I've done so far is watched him make a beef stew in the slow cooker and pan fry lamb chops. I just don't like enough food to be bothered!

Ah, the trick is not to make American food, which for most part is pretty blah. There's some good areas of great food tradition, but... Also, don't start with anything too ambitious, you'll just set yourself up for failure. Start with something good and easy, like some simple pasta or a vegetable soup (I can give you a recipe for a really good and easy one, if you wish! It's my go-to quick winter food.)... I have to warn you though, cooking is very addictive.

The thing is...I don't like vegetables, most meats, or anything with a weird texture, like chunky things. All my soups and sauces have to be pureed. :giggle:

I can cook good pasta, though....you're not allowed to be a member of my family unless you can cook pasta.

The thing is...I don't like vegetables, most meats, or anything with a weird texture, like chunky things. All my soups and sauces have to be pureed. :giggle:

It is. I don't particularly like soups with "chuncks" either...

I can cook good pasta, though....you're not allowed to be a member of my family unless you can cook pasta.

*laughs* Well, I meant pasta dishes, really, but I think so did you. So you actually can cook.

Oh, and remove the word 'pasta' from that sentence, and you have my family...

I recently and rather randomly bought some french dressing. I have no idea what the heck to add it to. I tried some chicken recently, wasn't too bad. Though right now, i kind of add it and it's trial and error baha.

Ketchup IS a flavouring whether ii likes it or not :) Probably not the best one, though. :giggle: I love herby things.

No, it's not. It's tomatoes and sugar. It's horrendous. It covers every flavor the food itself might have had at some point, making everything equal and uniform ketchup-flavoured mush. It's like that horrible generic cheese that gets thrown on everything, especially in certain parts of the US. Gosh! The only thing worse is the habit of some to put it on absolutely everything they eat!

Call me crazy, but I actually prefer to taste the food I'm eating.

It covers every flavor the food itself might have had at some point, making everything equal and uniform ketchup-flavoured mush.

Then I'd suggest it's pretty effective at flavouring, just not in the preferred way! :giggle:

Anyway, I don't use it to 'flavour' things. I add it on the side as a dip, if I want any. I have to admit, I do love it though.

Then I'd suggest it's pretty effective at flavouring, just not in the preferred way! :giggle:.

Well, pouring detergent into the food would make it detergent-flavoured, but I still wouldn't call detergent a 'flavouring'.

I hate ketchup with passion. Just like ready-made meals. And canned food. There's really no excuse for any of those.

No, it's not. It's tomatoes and sugar. It's horrendous. It covers every flavor the food itself might have had at some point, making everything equal and uniform ketchup-flavoured mush. It's like that horrible generic cheese that gets thrown on everything, especially in certain parts of the US. Gosh! The only thing worse is the habit of some to put it on absolutely everything they eat!

I do that, except with b