Cross stitch

lexiepiper

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not wierd at all - it's increasingly becoming a passtime enjoyed by both sexes. One 30-something man at the forefront of male stitchery is Mr X-Stitch (aka Jamie Chalmers). He's becoming quite famous in the stitching world and frequently features in cross stitch magazines. He proves that cross stitch doesn't have to be just a girlie thing - there are plenty of masculine things to be stitched (just have a look for some of the graffitti or urban cross stitch). It's becoming rather "in" and cool to be a stitcher, especially if you're a guy because it's so unexpected. :)

You should give it a try - it's great fun and very relaxing, and you feel like you're creating a piece of art with your needle. :)

Very interesting that link is Kell.

Ok I confess, I bought a cross stitching beginners set quite a few years ago when a female 'friend' I had at the time used to do it and it appealed to me then.

For some reason I didnt really start it, I will have to have a look around to see if I can find it, because i'm pretty sure that perfectly good cross stitching beginners set is sitting around my house practically unused. :)

I think it's one of these activities where a total beginner would benefit greatly from being physically around people who are already familiar with doing it. Never mind.

I really must stop hijacking threads, I do apologise.

First up, you're not hijacking the thread - we're more than happy to help! :)

I think you need to start with a simple small project. I started cross stitch with a small acorn design card from The National Trust. It came in a kit, with all the threads, material and needles, plus a card to mount the cross stitch in, and excellent instructions on how to complete the project. I didn't have anyone around who could help, but to be honest, I found it very easy to follow the instructions that came in the kit, and didn't need any help. You can get small kits for cards for a few pounds, so are a good indicator of whether you would actually enjoy cross stitch or if you need assistance. Either way, I'm sure most of us would be willing to assist with queries.

First up, you're not hijacking the thread - we're more than happy to help! :)

I think you need to start with a simple small project. I started cross stitch with a small acorn design card from The National Trust. It came in a kit, with all the threads, material and needles, plus a card to mount the cross stitch in, and excellent instructions on how to complete the project. I didn't have anyone around who could help, but to be honest, I found it very easy to follow the instructions that came in the kit, and didn't need any help. You can get small kits for cards for a few pounds, so are a good indicator of whether you would actually enjoy cross stitch or if you need assistance. Either way, I'm sure most of us would be willing to assist with queries.

It is something that once started I know I would really enjoy doing, it's just taking those first steps that I am a bit weary of. I think I will have a look in Asda this week for a cross stitching magazine as Lexie suggested:D

There might be one in this booklet of 70 small sporting motifs: HERE

I found this one Kat: http://crossstitch.about.com/b/2009/09/25/free-hockey-motif-cross-stitch-pattern.htm I can't find anything else I'm afraid

Thanks guys! These are both great and have helped a lot. I love those lottle books Kell. Great idea.

It is something that once started I know I would really enjoy doing, it's just taking those first steps that I am a bit weary of. I think I will have a look in Asda this week for a cross stitching magazine as Lexie suggested:D

Gettin a magazine with a freebie on the front is an excellent idea as you'll have everything you need to get started - the fabric, the chart and the floss as well as (more often than not) a needle. Also, with a small project, it's less daunting and you're more likely to finish it.

Here's where I got up to whith Charlie tonight. He has to go to bed now and won't be up again for 3 more weeks, as I rotate projects week by week.

19progress210210.th.jpg

I like the freebies off magazines! I agree, they are usually quite easy. The magazine will probably have patterns for beginners in it as well.

Here is a Johnny update for you:

th_P201901_21-02-10.jpg

I like him, but I do miss colour!

Kate, I notice you are using a square frame. Do you find them more comfortable than the round wooden frames?

I do find the round frames uncomfortable to hold and was considering the square frames.

Kate, I notice you are using a square frame. Do you find them more comfortable than the round wooden frames?

I do find the round frames uncomfortable to hold and was considering the square frames.

I use both. THe square frames are much chunkier so they can be a little unweildy, and you don't get such good tension closer to the corners, but they're still very good and the the thicker edges are a little more comfortable than the wooden hoops.

PS. Kate - Johnny is looking fantastic! :lol:

Thanks Angel, it has only taken me 12 years! :lol:

No, the story behind this one is, I bought it for my nephew but I must have abandoned it. I found it again a few months ago and decided to do it for my 6 month old niece. My nephew is now 12. :lol:

I much prefer the square frame. Its a lap frame which makes it easier to use as well

Wow! Johnny is looking fantastic!

I'm working on a lot of little-itty-bitty projects this week that need to be finished within the next couple of weeks:

- A Mothers' Day card for my Grom

- A Mothers' Day bookmark for my Mam

- A Xmas card design (I finished one this week but am almost finished another)

- A blackwork piece for an exchange

- Two jingle cubes for twin girls

I have finished the first page of the Johnny Depp cross stitch:

th_P2151_23-02-10.jpg

th_P2152_23-02-10.jpg

Kate, your pics have disappeared. :D

You are one busy girl Kell

Yes, I do seem to have left myself iuncredibly busy this month! Unfortunately it means I have precious little reading time, but when it's all for very specific stitching reasons I must press on and do what I can!