Things I Want My Daughters to Know by Elizabeth Noble

Kate

things-i-want-my-daughters-to-know.jpg

Synopsis:

'My beautiful girls. If you've read this, you'll know it contains some - not all, but some - of the things I want my daughters to know. And the greatest of these is love ...' How would you say goodbye to those you love most in the world? Barbara must say a final farewell to her four daughters. But how can she find the words? And how can she leave them when they each have so much growing up to do? There's commitment-phobic Lisa. Brittle, unhappily married Jennifer. Free-spirited traveller Amanda. And teenage Hannah, stumbling her way towards adulthood. Barbara's answer is to write each daughter a letter, finally expressing the hopes, fears, dreams and secrets she couldn't always voice. These words will touch the girls in different - sometimes shocking - ways, unlocking emotions and passions to set them on their own journey of discovery through life.

I was so excited about reading this book, and I wasn't let down. The story follows four daughters after their mother died. The story is full of love, grief, sex, family and of course, death. Noble is a good writer and I enjoyed this book a lot. It took longer to read than I thought it would, but actually that wasn't a problem. I was gripped and wanted to know the outcome, and at the end I was happy, but sad too. This book definitely sparked emotion; as well as made me laugh and gasp.

It is hard to pick my favourite character. Probably Mark, the step-father. He was strong and held the family together. He remained there, even though he was just the step-father. He seemed like a good guy. I liked all the characters however, and I found myself willing the best for all of them.

This was a fun, engaging book, that I thoroughly recommend.

8/10

I read the taster of it (from some website, sorry I can't remember which one) and got the impression it was gonna be a weepy. My friend read it and said she was in tears for about the first 4 chapters! :P

Which makes me wanna ask the question, why would you want to read a book which makes you cry? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished this book yesterday.. Really enjoyed it! I liked how many different stories were going on with the 4 daughters and the step-father (Mark), because it kept it interesting and made me want to keep reading to see what would happen with the next daughter. :lol: A good solid story for me.. I'll post a review soon my bookshelf but just wanted to add my comment here. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I read this a while ago and i really enjoyed it. I picked it up shortly after my own mum died and it sat on my desk for a while because I wasn't sure I would be able to read it. I loved how different the characters were and how they all dealt with it different ways.

• 1 month later...

I loved this book, I'm always on the look out for the less well known chick lit authors and I really wasn't disappointed with this one. It's a while since I read it now but I don't really remember crying that much, I know it was sad but also uplifting because she writes about how they all get on with life after death.

I've read Alphabet Weekends by the same author and thoroughly enjoyed that too so am now on the look out by other books by her!

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
.. Really enjoyed it! I liked how many different stories were going on with the 4 daughters and the step-father (Mark), because it kept it interesting and made me want to keep reading to see what would happen with the next daughter. :)

My views exactly.In fact I picked this up and didnt want to put it down hence why I finished it within a day..:smile2: Will try a few more of her books I think.

• 2 months later...
It seems so sad !! A mother telling goodbye to her daughters through letters ? But well, all of you seem to like the book so I guess I could add it in my list of books to read ^^

It is very sad, but that is what makes the book special I think. It is honest and heartbreaking. Lovely book :(