Has reading helped you through Illness?

As the forum gains momentum I have found that by reading this thread that forum members have really opened up and used the thread as an place where they can outpour those feelings that have been hidden within the mind finding nowhere to let them go.

I hope you all agree there have been some moving stories amongst the forum members, almost enough to produce a small book on the subject.

I have mixed feelings about starting this thread, Have I encouraged people to tell us their stories that they found hard to tell ? or have I given people a thread where they feel happy to release their personal triumphs through reading?

Whatever it has done Colin, I think it's a good thing. It's good that people can share their problems and struggles with others ...then we know we are not alone.

I think it's particularly important that mental illnesses are discussed, for too long it has been a hush-hush problem, almost considered a weakness, something to be ashamed of. When people realise it is an illness, just like any other illness, the whole thing begins to be destigmatised.

And it's really great that there are people here who are only too willing to offer their support and caring.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH = Other Half (in my case, husband yes :readingtwo: )

I don't kill over skipped sporting events. Neglected wardrobes, perhaps, but not over sports... *laughs*

OH = other half .. I get it now.

and DD = dear dad, right?

and DD = dear dad, right?

Close. Daddy Dearest. *laughs* It's a joke on the whole "daddy's credit card" thing... I still call him Daddy, as a joke, whenever I want something big. I pull the whole 'spoiled little daddy's girl' act, just to give him perspective and help him realise that it's really not much to ask for (whatever it is I'm asking for at the time)... I mean, I could be asking for a hockey club instead of hockey tickets!

Close. Daddy Dearest. *laughs* It's a joke on the whole "daddy's credit card" thing... I still call him Daddy, as a joke, whenever I want something big. I pull the whole 'spoiled little daddy's girl' act, just to give him perspective and help him realise that it's really not much to ask for (whatever it is I'm asking for at the time)... I mean, I could be asking for a hockey club instead of hockey tickets!

My dad would laugh in my face if I pulled the "daddy" card when I wanted something.. Too bad it doesn't work for us all! :readingtwo:

My dad would laugh in my face if I pulled the "daddy" card when I wanted something.. Too bad it doesn't work for us all! :readingtwo:

My dad would say, 'get out there now and get it yourself, and if you can't afford it, then you don't need it.' :D

It doesn't work forme either. I just do it for fun. I still have to reason everything. Or at the very least completely confuse him so he'll say yes just to get rid of me. *laughs*

My dad would say, 'get out there now and get it yourself, and if you can't afford it, then you don't need it.' :D

Well, that does't really work for us, I usually can afford it myself. I just might not want to.

I have mixed feelings about starting this thread, Have I encouraged people to tell us their stories that they found hard to tell ? or have I given people a thread where they feel happy to release their personal triumphs through reading?

I think it's important to share how you feel. Not only because it helps you but because it's good for others as well. I find it really helps me to know that other people have felt the same way or how other paople have found reease and aid.

Besides that, if someone didn't want to share their feeling on this forum they don't have to. I think it's an interesting thread. Thanks

It does work for me, (i'm ashamed to say) and i love to use it as a joke. My husband thinks i'm really bad, except when he wants me to get something he wants as well. lol! Dad would get me something if i asked him seriously though, and he

then usually says 'don't tell your mother!'

ii, I know of what you speak......in my family c.o.d (cash on delivery) means "Call on Daddy & Daddy pays" - my 2 sisters use it still, I don't, probably because I am over here, lol!

It does work for me, (i'm ashamed to say) and i love to use it as a joke.

Exactly! I don't really ask my dad to pay for everything. I'm perfectly able to pay my own way. But sometimes it's just easier that way. Completely snobbish example: when I needed to get BF from where he had a game to the Estate for Thanksgiving, and the scheduling was a pain and we all know what the airports are like during Thanksgiving, no way we'd get him on the flight, even if there was a perfectly timed one. So I asked DD for the plane. But I did have to research (read: make DD's assistant research) the 'proper' options and prove that there's no flights that would work for BF and so on. I even drew a graph. I considered making a PowerPoint presentation, with an animated plane over the map. But I though that'd be stretching it.

And of course, things like restaurant checks. I can do the "thanks Daddy!" if he picks it up, as a joke. I could pay my way, or treat him. But he's practically always picking up the check, because the way it works in his mind is, he's the Dad, taking his daughter to dinner, so he pays.

Haha, Kyle.. this is great that your mom kept up with you and made you cheer during a score. Hilarious mental image.. I bet we would have been so boring together at sporting events! :readingtwo:

No way! We would have been the coolest people for miles around! Too bad the reading bug didn't catch on to the people around us. :lol:

Poppy, great story! :D

I'll probably be reading a lot at the moment to try get me away from things. Going to my Auntie's for the week-end so will be taking a fair few books. :readingtwo:

No way! We would have been the coolest people for miles around! Too bad the reading bug didn't catch on to the people around us. :(

Poppy, great story! :D

I would have welcomed another "reading spectator" in the stands.. I'll tell you that much. :lol:

I'll probably be reading a lot at the moment to try get me away from things. Going to my Auntie's for the week-end so will be taking a fair few books. :readingtwo:

I hope the weekend goes well, Ben... we'll be thinking of you!

You know I've been wondering that for ages. Now I know - thanks :(

Well... serves you right. You should have asked! *laughs* (that's the rule no. 3 in communicating with ii, "don't wonder, ask.")

I'm currently off work sick, with a depressive-type illness, and although I love books and am obsessively buying them and reading them, I am having some problems with my concentration levels at the moment. This is as a result of the illness, but I keep perservering because they do help.

I am having some problems with my concentration levels at the moment.

I was the same. When I went through a difficult time a year or so ago, I lost the ability to lose myself in a book. It was a shame really because it would have been perfect to escape for a few hours.

I'm currently off work sick, with a depressive-type illness, and although I love books and am obsessively buying them and reading them, I am having some problems with my concentration levels at the moment. This is as a result of the illness, but I keep perservering because they do help.

I was the same. When I went through a difficult time a year or so ago, I lost the ability to lose myself in a book. It was a shame really because it would have been perfect to escape for a few hours.

I was like this too a few years ago. I was going through something very difficult and lost concentration so much with reading that it affected my coursework. The only books I did manage to enjoy reading were Harry Potters and The Lord of The Rings. I think I enjoyed them because the fantasy provided an escape where I felt safe.

I think I enjoyed them because the fantasy provided an escape where I felt safe.

That's a good point. I think if you're suffering from some kind of emotional problem then the last thing you need is a book which is on the same subject. Although, in some cases, I'm sure it may help people get through things.

I've often found that I need a bit of distance. Like if something's going on in my life, I have to have that over and dealt with before I can read about something related. It took me a year before I could bare a love story having a happy ending after BF and I had the big Proposal Discussion 2.0 (not the Proposal: the Tossed Books episode, but another related one).

Okay, it's a shallow example, but it's late, and I'm in no mood to get into the whole maman thing at the moment.

I've often found that I need a bit of distance. Like if something's going on in my life, I have to have that over and dealt with before I can read about something related..

:lol: Exactly. I still can't read about people being unfaithful without it triggering a lorry load of memories. *Realizes that I've drifted off subject a little* Sorry!