It's Oscars time - disappointed or elated?

Kell

Well, the list of Oscar nominees is now posted (see HERE) and I'm already a little bored by it! It's all the same handful of films niminated for everything and I think a couplke of the nominations are undeserved.

For example, yes, Heath Ledger was a fantastic actor and he was good in THe Dark Knight, but was his performance in that as great as it was in Brokeback Mountain? I don't think so - his posthumous nod isn't deserved for this film (imo), but he'll probably get it anyway because of his tragic death.

Also, Slumdog Millionaire is nominated for best film. I watched this yesterday and didn't think it was all that much cop (having read the book I expected at least a little better than what I got!). Some of it's other nominations are perhaps warranted (e.g. musical score), but it's not the best adaptation (they changed huge swathes of the story!) and it's up for best adaptation too! It doesn't deserve either of those accolades (again, imo), but it'll most likely sweep the boards.

Is anyone else disappointed by this year's crop? Or do you think they'v outdone themselves this year?

Also, check out the list by film HERE.

Am I the only one who thinks that each film should only be allowed one nomination per category? For example:

Doubt

Amy Adams - Performance by an actress in a supporting role

Viola Davis - Performance by an actress in a supporting role

They can’t BOTH be the best supporting actress therefore do both of them warrant the nomination? Give someone else with a great performance the nomination in place of one of those.

Similarly:

Slumdog Millionaire

Original song - “Jai Ho”

Original song - “O Saya”

They can’t both be best, so which one is it? Choose one over the other!

It kind of irks me when this happens! Maybe it’s just me…

I actually think Heath's performance was amazing in the The Dark Knight, and definitely Oscar-worthy. Trouble is, if he wins, people will say it's only because he's dead. (He should have won for Brokeback, but that as a past issue now). Philip Seymour Hoffman is again nominated in the same category - he won the award that year when Heath was nominated.

However, I also think that Robert Downey Jr's role in Tropic Thunder was AMAZING!!!

Would love Slumdog Millionaire to win best movie - but it won't.

I don't understand Brad Pitt's nomination - I honestly do not think that he is a very good actor, but we all know that the academy rave over movies where people have to look totally different to how they look in reality.

I haven't seen many of the films this year (I wait for them to come on sky as I don't have the money to go to the cinema every week!) But I love watching the Oscars. I'm so pleased that Slumdog Millionaire is up for a few awards as I love it when the littler films come out of nowhere. Out of the list, I really want to see the Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Changeling, Frost/Nixon and Doubt.

Thanks for creating this topic, Kell. I had completely forgotten that the noms were announced yesterday, but now I'm glad I can finally figure out what movies I need to see next, lol. I have mixed feelings over the Oscars, but that happens every year. Inevitably there is a film I feel is overlooked, and one that is too hyped up. Sometimes I think that the Academy is just one big club and half (if not all) of the votes they cast are just favors or paybacks. What do I know though? lol

Hopefully in one month's time I'll be able to see Doubt, Slumdog Millionaire and Frost/Nixon. While I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE David Fincher, I just don't have any desire to see Benjamin Button. I really wish Fincher would have won something for Zodiac last year, so maybe I'm still bitter about that.

I went to see frost/nixon and loved it! the movie was so entertaining! I'm not spoiling it for any of you that's not seen it but that's all I'm saying!

I'm dying to see this one!

I've only seen two films from these lists - Dark Knight and Wall-E and I thought they were both ****! :readingtwo:

I don't tend to watch these kind of award ceremonies as I'm not hugely into films and I hate all the 'loviness' of the speeches.

Am I the only one who thinks that each film should only be allowed one nomination per category? For example:

Doubt

Amy Adams - Performance by an actress in a supporting role

Viola Davis - Performance by an actress in a supporting role

They can

I've only seen two films from these lists - Dark Knight and Wall-E and I thought they were both ****! ;)

I don't tend to watch these kind of award ceremonies as I'm not hugely into films and I hate all the 'loviness' of the speeches.

:roll: I thought Wall-E was lovely :(:lol: But then again I am a big Disney softie :(

:lol: I thought Wall-E was lovely :(;) But then again I am a big Disney softie :roll:

Same here :(

I'm rooting for The Reader on Best Motion Picture category. And I believe that Kate Winslet did a fantastic job--then again, I'm a Kate Winslet fan. I'm trying to watch Doubt and some of the other movies before the awards come around.

• 4 weeks later...

And the results are in:

Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire

Actor in a Leading Role: Sean Penn – MILK

Actress in a Leading Role: Kate Winslet – THE READER

Directing: Slumdog Millionaire

Foreign Language Film: Departures

Music (Song): Slumdog Millionaire – JAI HO

Music (Score): Slumdog Millionaire

Film Editing: Slumdog Millionaire

Sound Mixing: Slumdog Millionaire

Sound Editing: The Dark Knight

Visual Effects: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Documentary Short: Smile Pinki

Documentary Feature: Man on Wire

Actor in a Supporting Role: Heath Ledger – DARK KNIGHT

Short Film (Live Action): Spielzeugland (Toyland)

Cinematography: Slumdog Millionaire

Makeup: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Costume Design: The Duchess

Art Direction: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Short Film (Animated): La Maison en Petits Cubes

Animated Feature Film: WALL-E

Writing (Adapted Screenplay): Slumdog Millionaire

Writing (Original Screenplay): Milk

Actress in a Supporting Role: Penelope Cruz – VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA

The following 15 films received multiple nominations.

13 nominations: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

10 nominations: Slumdog Millionaire

8 nominations: The Dark Knight and Milk

6 nominations: WALL-E

5 nominations: Doubt, Frost/Nixon, and The Reader

3 nominations: Changeling and Revolutionary Road

2 nominations: The Duchess, Frozen River, Iron Man, Wanted, and The Wrestler

The following four films received multiple awards.

8 awards: Slumdog Millionaire

3 awards: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

2 awards: The Dark Knight

2 awards: Milk

I'm thrilled that Kate Winslet has finally won an Oscar (although I haven't seen The Reader). She has been in numerous films which I love and I'm glad she's getting recognition for her work. I was shocked that Sean Penn won over Mickey Rourke or Brad Pitt, but Academy does tend to reward actors playing true people. I still haven't seen Slumdog Millionaire (desperate too) although it is nice to see a British film win Best Picture Oscar :lol:

I'm actually disappointed that Slumdog got so much attention and so many awards - I thought it a very average film. What rankles most is that it got Best Adaptation when it's nothing like the flippin' book! :lol:

I'm actually disappointed that Slumdog got so much attention and so many awards - I thought it a very average film. What rankles most is that it got Best Adaptation when it's nothing like the flippin' book! :D

I agree about the adaptation award. But other than that I think it definitely deserved awards, far more than Benjamin Button! :lol:

I'm really happy Ledger got the Oscar. His performance in The Dark Knight was absolutely mesmerising, i continue to watch the film at least once a week. Since i first saw his appearance in it, i was intruiged. It's one of the best villain roles in movie history.

I was really pleased that Kate Winslet and Heath Ledger won. Disappointed that Mickey Rourke didn't win though...Sean Penn is an amazing actor, but I thought Mickey deserved this one. I think the Academy were too frightened of what he might say in his speech though!

I'm disappointed that Heath Ledger won as although he gave a good performance, I really do believe that if he'd still been alive, he wouldn't have been nominated at all. When you see who he was up against, I think the others have been unnecessarily slighted there!

VERY pleased that Kate Winslet got the award and rather pleased that Sean Penn got some recognition too.