Slimming World / Weight Watchers etc

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anybody on here a Slimming World member?

I'm thinking of joining this week but feel quite unsure and intimidated by it all as I have never done anything like it before.

Or does anyone have any better suggestions? ;)

I've heard of Slimming World but haven't looked into it. I joined Weightwatchers and lost 4 stone in a year. It works and is easy to follow once you get the hang of it. I know you can join Weightwatchers online - maybe you can do the same with Slimming World, or another idea would be to get someone to go with you at least for the first few weeks - that way you would get to know a few of the people there and you wouldnt feel so intimidated going on your own afterwards. I started with someone too but after a while I did feel confident enough to go by myself. I do understand how you feel though :)

Well I know about Weightwatchers but not Slimming World so here goes:

With weightwatchers there are two different plans you can follow; 1. The Points Plan and 2. The Core Plan.

On the points plan you get so many points to 'spend' per day on food according to your age, height, and amount of activity you normally do per day. You get information on joining about how many points each food has etc. and how to work out how many points you are allowed per day to lose weight. You can save points to spend at the weekend for instance on maybe a drink or a bar of chocolate. Or you could blow your daily points allowance in one sitting on a burger and fries! (not a good idea), but you get the gist.

On the Core Plan you get a list of 'core foods you can chose from and you are allowed three meals per day. You can snack on fruit and you get 21 points allowance per week to 'spend' on luxuries. You can't eat any processed food though so it can be time consuming making everything from scratch, on the upside you don't have to weigh everything to calculate the points value of what you are eating but you must learn to stop when you are full.

You can change plans weekly to vary it, in fact they recommend you change once in a while to give your metablism a kick, it gets used to you eating the same thing over again too and expects it.

Hope this helps a bit ;)

I used to belong to Slimming World on line and the plans were easy. Simply choose a green day (minimal meat but loads of pasta rice etc) or a red day (free meat, minimal carbs such as pasta). They have now brought out a combination of both Trouble is doing it on line needs a lot of motivation and with the way my life has been the past few years it has been the least of my priorities. Now we are just cutting back (when all the Xmas food is gone, people are still giving us bits despite all our protests!!) and trying to eat less. It's not worth me going to a main group as with a shift working husband there would be several weeks within the rota that I would not be able to attend and would end up just paying for nought

Certainly this year I need to get a grip as I've a fair bit to lose!! My GP has stated quite firmly that my weight has been the least to worry about but I am determined to start. Due to back problems I am restricted as to what exercise I can do ( I have to avoid high impact, anything that twists and turns!) so I aim to be just generally more on the go (although some days at work that would literally work me into the ground, the wards are so busy!)

Edited by Angel

I know a little bit about Slimming World, they have green days and red days. Green days are mainly veggie days and you can eat unlimited amounts of things such as pasta, rice etc. Red days are mainly classed as meat days and therefore the carbs are restricted. You also need to include certain foods for a healthy balance, like milk for example.

Then they have a syns system, where all other foods have syn points - like chocolate, crisps etc and you are allowed a certain number of syns a day depending on your weight - I think!

The reason I was thinking about joining slimming world over weight watchers is because i'm a veggie and it seems easier to just have green days were i'm allowed lots of quorn, tofu, pasta etc for free. As far as i'm aware these foods are free and you can eat as much as you like, so it seems easier than weighing things, which as Charm says can be time consuming and annoying.

I've looked on the slimming world website and my local class meets on a Thursday and it says you can just turn up and join on the night. They do have a online and postal version too but I was thinking it might be more motivational if you actually have to go and get weighed in front of someone because otherwise it might be tempting to just cheat! ;)

I'm still not sure though, will have to see if i'm feeling brave when Thursday gets here!

You do feel more motivated when you leave a meeting and they are a good source of tips for things to do and what foods people have found. They also say you lose more weight at a constant rate than if you dont attend. I suppose you could start online and after you'd lost a few pounds and knew the plan you could then join the meeting. If I was starting again - I'd join the meeting with a friend.

Certainly this year I need to get a grip as I've a fair bit to lose!! My GP has stated quite firmly that my weight has been the least to worry about but I am determined to start. Due to back problems I am restricted as to what exercise I can do ( I have to avoid high impact, anything that twists and turns!) so I aim to be just generally more on the go (although some days at work that would literally work me into the ground, the wards are so busy!)

Have you considered swimming? Running in water etc are tremendous exercise, and they're really easy on back. When BF had trouble with his back (and also every time he's had knee surgery) he's done all sorts of water training for rehab (well, it's 'training', but I call it rehab, just to tease him). But seriously, swimming, running in water (you get this vest that helps you float upright), things like that are really good idea if you have to avoid impact and twisting. And that's not me, or even BF talking, that's pro-sports doctors and fitness trainers and rehab people.

I rate Slimming World highly - it is the ideal "diet" if you are greedy like me, because you can eat constantly as long as you are eating the right things!! ;) It also seems easier and less "faffy" than others, cos you just stick to red or green days and only really need to work out your "sins".

I was a member a good ten years ago, and lost 3.5 stone. Unfortunately, when I reached my target weight, I decided I would just follow the plan at home and not attend the classes, because I knew what to do and it would save money. Well, you've guessed it, I didn't stick to it and so I wasn't at my target weight for very long!! I am considering doing the plan again because I have the books and I am capable of sticking to it, I just need to find the willpower. But it's gonna have to be fairly soon as my health is suffering because of my weight.

I recommend that you go to the classes for the motivation. Everyone is really friendly as you're all in the same boat so they all understand. They also help support you and bring recipes etc, so I'd prefer it to an online thing. When I first joined, I was puzzled as to why there were some slim people there - they didn't need to lose weight. It was a while before I realised that they had been overweight but had reached their targets, and were attending to maintain their weight! So that was quite a motivation too! By the way, your weight is always confidential, it's not shouted out to the group and you don't get told off or anything if you don't lose anything!

I've done Slimming World (in a couple of different locations) and the classes are great and everyone is really friendly. ;) I'd say go for it - good luck. :)

ETA: One girl in our local class lost over 10 stone and has kept it off for years by keeping up her attendance. It's free once you're at target (and you decide what your target is) - as long as you're +/- 3lbs of your target weight - and you've got a week to get back to it before you start paying again.

Have you considered swimming? Running in water etc are tremendous exercise, and they're really easy on back. When BF had trouble with his back (and also every time he's had knee surgery) he's done all sorts of water training for rehab (well, it's 'training', but I call it rehab, just to tease him). But seriously, swimming, running in water (you get this vest that helps you float upright), things like that are really good idea if you have to avoid impact and twisting. And that's not me, or even BF talking, that's pro-sports doctors and fitness trainers and rehab people.

I'd rather take in walking. Not a fan of swimming especially as I had a bad experience as a child :) some of the physios at work use hydro therapy and it's good for certain conditions. I like walking as you can admire the view and it's free ;)

I'd rather take in walking. Not a fan of swimming especially as I had a bad experience as a child :) some of the physios at work use hydro therapy and it's good for certain conditions. I like walking as you can admire the view and it's free ;)

Oh, of course! I personally would take walking too, as I'm afraid of water. But as I've watched BF go through injuries, I have learned the value of correct rehabilitation, as well as the effectiveness of hydro therapy, so I though I'd share some of the insight I've gained. Just to provide more options.

;) I know that's what you meant. I nearly drowned in the school's swimming pool when I was 5 under the suoervision of teachers!! (Or not as the case may be) and I still remember that sinking down feeling to this day:blush:

Pretty rubbish teachers by the sounds of it.

That must have been a terrible experience for you. :)

;) I know that's what you meant. I nearly drowned in the school's swimming pool when I was 5 under the suoervision of teachers!! (Or not as the case may be) and I still remember that sinking down feeling to this day:blush:

Oh my god! That's horrible! *hugs* Poor you. I fully understand your dislike of swimming pools. (of course some would say that you should face your fears and whatnot, but I won't. I know how difficult that is, so I'll never give that advice. Unless it's about walking with heels.)

A group of us at work have formed our own diet group. We weigh in once a week, it`s enough to motivate us, we support one another and save money too! we sort of follow the slimming world diet, as one "member" lost 5 stone at slimming world. She stopped going to the group and her weight started to creep up, but now she`s losing weight again with us. So far it seems to be working for the majority of those people trying it.

ii - I have tried but I panic if I can't feel the bottom of the pool (or beach) with my feet. Enthusiast - I left a bit later as I hated it there

Good on you! ;)

ii - I have tried but I panic if I can't feel the bottom of the pool (or beach) with my feet.

That's really brave of you! I freak out in water, too. Many years ago, I was about 18 then, a bunch of us went boating (big boat, and I saw the shore all the time so I was almost okay the whole time) and all others went swimming. The best friend of my then-BF thought I was just joking when I said I'm not swimming, and I did say it in a casual way as I wasn't quite comfortable telling people I'm afraid of water back then, and threw me overboard into the sea. Then-BF jumped in right after me, swam right next to me the 6 meters or so that I needed to swim to the ladder and kept talking to me and distracting me from the fact that I was in the water. When I got back on the boat I was shaking, and could barely breath. Then-BF wrapped a towel around me, made sure I was sitting okay and proceeded to hit his best friend in the face. I was touched.

That's really brave of you! I freak out in water, too. Many years ago, I was about 18 then, a bunch of us went boating (big boat, and I saw the shore all the time so I was almost okay the whole time) and all others went swimming. The best friend of my then-BF thought I was just joking when I said I'm not swimming, and I did say it in a casual way as I wasn't quite comfortable telling people I'm afraid of water back then, and threw me overboard into the sea. Then-BF jumped in right after me, swam right next to me the 6 meters or so that I needed to swim to the ladder and kept talking to me and distracting me from the fact that I was in the water. When I got back on the boat I was shaking, and could barely breath. Then-BF wrapped a towel around me, made sure I was sitting okay and proceeded to hit his best friend in the face. I was touched.

That must have been terrifying. What a gallant BF

The expense of these clubs is also an issue - especially when you have to pay full price on the day that you cannot attend

Thank you for the explanations all of you but I think this would be both too restricting and expensive for me ;) And I dont want to lose that much weight, just stop gaining some would be a good start *laughs*

Maybe we should start a special group on here? We'd have to weigh in every week and there would be bookish penalties (no buying books for a week :)) when we got too far off target :lol:

Maybe we should start a special group on here? We'd have to weigh in every week and there would be bookish penalties (no buying books for a week ;)) when we got too far off target :)

Or no cake till you've gotten your TBR pile down by two books. *laughs*