The Gormenghast Trilogy

Liz

The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake

I am not sure if this post should be in this section, so I am sorry if I have done it wrong. :D

Anyway, someone has suggested that I read the Gormenghast books next, but I do not know anything about them. Has anyone read them or know a bit about them and could possibly tell me? It would be a great help.

Thanks.

I've never read them myself, but I did watch the TV series of it when it was on a few years back (actually, I think it was about 6 or 7 years back, so longer than I was originally thinking!). The story seemed quite complicated & involved, but it was very interesting all the same.

I read then first book, Titus Groane (I think), ages ago. It's quite a peculiar book. Definitely in the realms of fantasy in terms of the environment, but it lives with the fantastical descriptions of what's going on in the Gormenghast castle rather than having a great deal of plot. At least that's what I remember of it. It was way too far outside of what my normal reading zone was for me to really "get" it. I was much more into narrative than descriptive when I read it. It's clearly brilliant, but it's one of those things that won't be to everyone's taste.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I loved both gormenghast 1 and 2.

I found them dark in many bits but also incredibly funny. I`ve never been able to see the royal family the same since.

The BBC series was brilliant , mainly because of the casting.

I`ve read them three times I think, and will probably re read again.

Don`t know about the third book, I didn`t enjoy it at all and have only read it once. I read somewhere Mervyn Peake was ill when writing this one but I may be wrong.

I have the first two books, 'Titus Groan' and 'Gormenghast', I have not read them yet but they are on my bigger than rock TBR pile :D