Charm's Choices for 2009

Charm

Haunted ~by~ Kelley Armstrong

Synopsis Courtesy of Waterstones:

Eve Levine - half-demon, black witch and devoted mother - has been dead for three years. She has a great house, an interesting love life and can't be killed again - which comes in handy when you've made as many enemies as Eve. Yes, the afterlife isn't too bad - all she needs to do is find a way to communicate with her daughter Savannah and she'll be happy. But fate - or more exactly, the Fates - have other plans. Eve owes them a favour, and they've just called it in. An evil spirit called the Nix has escaped from hell. She feeds on chaos and death, and is very good at persuading people to kill for her. The Fates want Eve to hunt her down before she does any more damage, but the Nix is a dangerous enemy - previous hunters have been sent mad in the process. As if that's not problem enough, it turns out that the only way to stop her is with an angel's sword. And Eve's no angel...

My thoughts:

Eve Lavine is half black witch and half demon but she's not all bad, she has a good heart. After the fates in the afterlife sent several supernaturals after the Nix and they all failed they decided to try someone who could figure out how the Nix thinks, a killer to catch a killer basically. Enter Eve Lavine. Throughout the book Eve is trying to catch the evil Nix but she's always one step ahead of Eve, who also meets her fair share of obstacles along the way, seeing and experiencing things that she'll never forget ..... and some of them none too pleasant ...

I liked Eve, I liked her practical no nonsense way of handling things, if somewhat a bit cavalier at times. We get to meet a lot more characters in this book and KelleyArmstrong's interpretation of the afterlife is very enjoyable to read and not at all what I expected. Some of the more gruesome beings did give me the heebie jeebies though!

Crawling body parts to name one, very zombiesque :lol:

I do like the way characters from the other books in the series are included in the plot along the way too, I love getting to know them all and I hope Eve pops up in future books as well.

Not my favourite of the series (that would be Industrial Magic so far) hence the 9/10, but still up near the top of the list. :D

9/10

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great reviews Charm, I enjoyed both books, 'Industrial Magic' is my favourite of the two, I am really glad you are enjoying the series so far:lol:

Thanks Gyre :) I'm loving it! I'm well over half way through Broken but I've none of the rest of the series yet :D. Will definately have to remedy that :) Was just looking on Kelley Armstrong's website, Elena Micheals is now on Twitter! :lol:

I've just finished Broken ~by~ Kelley Armstrong. Its midnight, its dark and believe me all my doors and windows are securely locked with my huge rottweiller made to stay by my side! :lol: Bloody zombies .. ;)

Synopsis Courtesy of Waterstone's:

Book 6 in Kelley Armstrong's supernatural series marks the return of werewolf Elena Michaels from Bitten and Stolen. When half-demon Xavier calls in the favour Elena owes him, it seems easy enough - steal Jack the Ripper's 'From Hell' letter away from a Toronto collector who had himself stolen it from the Ripper evidence boxes in the Metropolitan Police files. But nothing in the supernatural world is ever as simple as it seems. Elena accidentally triggers a spell placed on the letter, and manages to tear an opening that leads into the nether regions of Victorian London. Toronto may be looking for a tourism boost, but 'Gateway to Hell' isn't quite the new slogan the city had in mind...

My thoughts:

This book features the female werewolf Elena Micheals and her pack again. They go to Toronto to steal the From Hell letter for Xavier as payback for information he has for them. When Elena accidently triggers a spell on the letter, a portal opens and out comes zombies and other nasties unleashed right in the middle of Toronto. To top it all off Elena is heavily pregnant and, as it turns out, the target of the zombies obsession. Added to killer rats and Victorian diseases she has her hands full ...

I read the blurb on the back of this and saw the mention of zombies and thought 'oh gawd :D, I hope they don't feature too heavily in the story .' Unfortunately they do. I don't know why they frighten me so much, I think its because they're already dead for a start and they just want to mindlessly rip you to pieces and will carry on trying even if their legs have fallen off and they have to crawl to get to you! Anyway, they are in the story but are a bit different. They can talk and are even pretty crafty, but I did enjoy the book, despite them.

I enjoyed the storyline of Elena's pregnancy too and like the way her relationship with Clay is developing. Jamie Vegas pops up again and of course there are references to characters from other books in the series. I hope we see more of Xavier though in future books.

I'm giving this one 8/10 and that is based purely on the zombie element. They did spoil it a bit for me but other than that it still had me gripped, trying to turn the pages fast enought to see what happens! Another great Kelley Armstrong read.

8/10

Great review Charm, I enjoyed 'Broken' too, it had everything didn't it?

:D

I was great! I would have liked it to go on a bit after

Elena had her babies, I think Clay would have been so funny!

Great review Charm! ;) Seems like you're reading some good books so far this year.

Thanks Ben :lol: I've been really lucky and had some great recommendations from here.

I've been promising to read Twilight ~by~ Stephenie Meyer for ages now and finally did.

Synopsis Courtesy of Waterstones:

When 17 year old Isabella Swan moves to Forks, Washington to live with her father she expects that her new life will be as dull as the town. But in spite of her awkward manner and low expectations, she finds that her new classmates are drawn to this pale, dark-haired new girl in town. But not, it seems, the Cullen family. These five adopted brothers and sisters obviously prefer their own company and will make no exception for Bella. Bella is convinced that Edward Cullen in particular hates her, but she feels a strange attraction to him, although his hostility makes her feel almost physically ill. He seems determined to push her away ? until, that is, he saves her life from an out of control car. Bella will soon discover that there is a very good reason for Edward's coldness. He, and his family, are vampires ? and he knows how dangerous it is for others to get too close.

My thoughts:

Bella Swan moves to Forks a rather damp, wet, little town from sunny Pheonix. She's the new girl in town and hates it from the word go, until she sets eyes on Edward Cullen. He's a very attractive, mysterious boy at school who she soon figures out is a vampire. That's when the trouble begins, for Bella is a magnet for trouble.

Ok. Here goes....Twilight is basically a teen romance with a vampire, there's not exactly pages and pages of vampire action/fights, its more about how Bella and Edward's relationships begins and how it affects them and his family. There is a bit of action towards the end of the book but its a typical first in a series book where we are introduced to the characters and get to know a bit about them. Its not the best written book, its cheesy, its corny and it tends to be a bit intense, with Bella worshiping the ground Edward walks on.

But....I loved it. God knows why :lol:. There's just something about it :friends0:. The author totally draws you in to their feelings and you find yourself caught up in their emotions. I felt like I was suffocating the whole way through the book! By the time I was finished I was an emotional train wreck! There was enough going on in the story to keep me hooked, not gripped but I still hated putting it down. I can see why everyone raves about Edward, I mean who wouldn't want the most beautiful, dangerous creature in the country totally in love with you and willing to die for you, with eyes for nobody else? :D So I guess you could say I'm on Team Edward??

8/10

*stands back and waits for the onslaught* :irked:

Part of me wants to read this series, and part of me wants to stay very, very far away. I know the writing will irritate me, but I also think that I would end up seeing it the same way as you, Charm. Luckily I have a lot of books on my TBR pile to keep distracting me...for now.

(I think) I'm glad you enjoyed it. :friends0:

I totally get your review. The writing's awful and cheesy, and the dialogue between Edward and Bella especially is embarrassing to witness. And yet the storyline does not let you go.

You know that I just watched the movie and my immediate thought was "I must reread Twilight and New Moon and then go straight to Eclipse and Breaking Dawn which I haven't read yet. Oh man you're in for it.

Part of me wants to read this series, and part of me wants to stay very, very far away. I know the writing will irritate me, but I also think that I would end up seeing it the same way as you, Charm. Luckily I have a lot of books on my TBR pile to keep distracting me...for now.

(I think) I'm glad you enjoyed it. :friends0:

Thanks Kylie. I did enjoy it. It's one of those books that stays with you too, in your head, if you know what I mean. So unless you have the full series and are prepared to lose a week I'd give it a wide berth! :D Its extremely addictive :lol:

Nah, I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's painful because the sensible part of you is screaming 'this is cr*p, what are you doing!?' but that other part is like 'Edwarddddd!', so I feel your pain :D

Exactly! I'm a forty year old mother for Christ sake! :roll:

I hate Stephenie Meyer :friends0: I feel old ;)

I totally get your review. The writing's awful and cheesy, and the dialogue between Edward and Bella especially is embarrassing to witness. And yet the storyline does not let you go.

Oh man you're in for it.

Yip :lol: Totally. I can take it :irked:

:lol: So it's not just for the research purposes any more is it :D Shame on you!!

Oi you! Haven't you read the first two?? Eh? Bet that wasn't research!

There is something about this book that is addictive. I was sure I would hate the books and don't know what happened. I think they put something in the paper. My conspiracy theory. Glad you liked the book :roll:

That's it! It must be, the paper is poisoned like in The Name Of The Rose! I couldn't possibly be slightly mad. Phew! :friends0: thank you Steph, you've reassured me. :irked:

That's it! It must be, the paper is poisoned like in The Name Of The Rose! I couldn't possibly be slightly mad. Phew! :friends0: thank you Steph, you've reassured me. :lol:

Yeah :D That's the only excuse I can think off. Have you seen the film? I tried to read through the posts but got distracted by the talk of cute guys :irked:

Charm, I knew this would happen.

It was inevitable, if *I* like the books, you obviously would, I'm more immune to soppy romance rubbish than anybody else on earth. :irked:

I really should have known better shouldn't I? :lol:

Yeah That's the only excuse I can think off. Have you seen the film? I tried to read through the posts but got distracted by the talk of cute guys ;)

Yes I saw it a couple of months ago, big mistake!

Unlike you, I never said I'd read the books for research :D

Bless you hun!

True. But I really have to check it out before Kookie reads it, parental duty and all. :roll:

Although I don't know how much more my heart can take! I think need a stiff drink :friends0: I can't even begin to write my thoughts on New Moon just yet and I understand why some people didn't like it as much as the others too,

poor Bells

True. But I really have to check it out before Kookie reads it, parental duty and all. :friends0:

Quite true, I never thought about that, sorry :lol: I guess it's just that I was always able to read whatever I wanted, nobody ever wanted to check what I was reading. Which I think was great but now that you mention it, it shows you're an awesome Mum who cares about their kids :D