Charm's Choices for 2009

Charm

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually finished The Bone Collector ~by~ Jeffrey Deaver quite a while ago but have just gotten around to this.

Synopsis Courtesy of Waterstones

New York City is thrown into chaos by the assaults of the Bone Collector, a serial kidnapper and killer who gives the police a chance to save his victims from death by leaving obscure clues. The cops go to Lincoln Rhyme, an ex-NYPD forensics expert left paralysed after an accident on the job. Rhyme reluctantly postpones his ambitions towards suicide and puts together a forensic investigation team, enlisting as his eyes and ears young police officer Amelia Sachs.Rhyme digs deep into the only world he has left - his astonishing mind - and slowly begins to narrow the noose around the Bone Collector. But the kidnapper is narrowing his own noose - around Lincoln Rhyme.

This is the first of the series by this author where we are introduced to Lincoln Rhyme. He was the best NYPD forensics expert before he became a quadraplegic, after part of a building fell on him while on a job. We are also introduced to his partner, Amelia, who is fast becomming an expert at walking crime scenes. The killer in the story kidnaps his victims first and by the time Lincoln and co realise that there is another victim, they soon realise they have to try to beat the clock to rescue them before their time is up ...

This is another fast paced read, which I like, full of twists and turns in the plot. Yet again Deaver draws us in to the story and the mind of the murderer so we see why he's committing these crimes. The historical imagery of old New York he uses adds a really dark element to the book, which I loved. Then he goes and throws in an unexpected twist again, they always catch me out!

If you enjoy authors like Tess Gerritsen and Richard Montanari, then I imagine you'll like this.

10/10

Dracula ~by~ Bram Stoker is the first book I have ever read twice. I read it first when I was about 14, it was the book which introduced me to horror reads and as I'm trying to read more classics I thought I'd read it again .... I'm glad I did. :readingtwo:

When Jonathan Harker visits Transylvania to help Count Dracula with the purchase of a London house, he makes a series of horrific discoveries about his client. Soon after wards, various bizarre incidents unfold in England: an apparently unmanned ship is wrecked off the coast of Whitby; a young woman discovers strange puncture marks on her neck; and the inmate of a lunatic asylum raves about the 'Master' and his imminent arrival. In "Dracula", Bram Stoker created one of the great masterpieces of the horror genre, brilliantly evoking a nightmare world of vampires and vampire hunters and also illuminating the dark corners of Victorian sexuality and desire.

This is one of the best gothic vampire books I have read. Dracula is beautifully written with the story unfolding brilliantly. I really appreciated the writing style this time around and was totally captivated the whole way through.

A well deserved 10/10

Woo hoo!! A 10/10!! Great review, Charm. If I hadn't already read this book I'd be rushing out to buy it as soon as the shops opened!

:D Thanks m8! I thought the book was brilliant. :readingtwo:

Great review, Charm! :D I'll have to find this 1st book in the series soon so I can discuss this series with everyone!

Thanks Bethany ;) Then you can come along and join the Jeffrey and the Deaverettes group! :D We have pompoms!!

I LOVE pom-poms! :censored:

I'm going to reserve "The Bone Collector" soon from the library.. just have to present my address verification tomorrow then I can do the online reservation for them to ship it to the library I want.

I want to get that one, "The Rosary Girls," and the 2nd in the Grave series by Charlaine Harris.. So many good books coming up that I can shake my pom-poms for!

Bad news.. the HK library system don't have Richard Montanari books, but I WAS able to reserve Charlaine Harris and one by Karen Quinn I want.. Hopefully will be in this week. Tomorrow I'll pick up "Anne of Avonlea" since the catalogue said it's already in the library I'll be going to. I should be able to get Deaver fairly easily w/out paying for a reservation.. yey!

Sorry to clutter up your reading thread! :censored:

I had a nice relaxing day today and finished off The Coffin Dancer ~by~ Jeffrey Deaver

The Coffin Dancer, America's most wanted hit man, is back. He's been hired by an airline owner who wants three witnesses taken care of before his trial, and has got the first, a pilot, by blowing up his entire plane. Enter quadriplegic ex-cop Lincoln Rhyme, who can find forensic evidence to hang a man in the smallest debris, and his assistant Amelia Sachs. Their job is to keep the remaining two witnesses safe, and to find the Coffin Dancer before he finds them. Because he will find them, and anyone else who tries to get in his way.

The second in this series sees expert criminalist Lincoln Rhyme and his beautiful partner Amelia Sachs in another great read. They have to find The Coffin Dancer, an unstopable assasin who is the best of his kind, he thinks of everything and isn't afraid of anything. He's been hired to take out key witnesses in a major trial and he's never missed a target yet ...

When I read the blurb on the back of the book I wasn't sure if I was going to like this one and it took me a few chapters to get into it I have to admit, which isn't the norm for me with Deaver reads. Once I did though it was back on the rollercoaster ride that Deaver always delivers. The plot was brilliant, Jeffrey Deaver is a mastermind when it comes to weaving a tale of deception and just when you think you know what to expect he throws a twist at you that knocks you for six, he even managed to throw in a little love triangle with a bit of jealousy to boot!

I will definately be getting the next installment of this fantastic series. Thoroughly recommended. :welcome:

10/10

When I read the blurb on the back of the book I wasn't sure if I was going to like this one and it took me a few chapters to get into it I have to admit, which isn't the norm for me with Deaver reads. Once I did though it was back on the rollercoaster ride that Deaver always delivers. The plot was brilliant, Jeffrey Deaver is a mastermind when it comes to weaving a tale of deception and just when you think you know what to expect he throws a twist at you that knocks you for six, he even managed to throw in a little love triangle with a bit of jealousy to boot!

I will definately be getting the next installment of this fantastic series. Thoroughly recommended. :welcome:

10/10

That's exactly how I felt! And when I started reading and it was all about planes I was like... ":roll:". But I didn't let it bother me and the book was actually better than The Bone Collector! I'm really glad you liked it and will continue with Rhyme and Sachs :smile2:

• 2 weeks later...

I've just added to my TBR pile:

Terry Pratchett - Johnny and the Dead

Anne Rice - Memnoch the Devil (to re-read)

(both sent to me by bookjumper :D)

and Lewis Carroll - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

(I want to read this before the new Hollywood movie comes out) :smile2:

Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse all by Stephanie Meyer arrived today along with Stolen and Dime Store Magic both by Kelley Armstrong.

These are also being added to my TBR pile :smile2:

Just finished Dexter By Design last night, can't believe I have to wait ages til the next one comes out! :lol: Starting Stolen by Kelley Armstrong today :D and still reading The Hunchback of Notre Dame along side (really not liking it though, may give it up) :tong:

I have my thoughts to write on Dexter in the Dark, Dead Until Dark and Dexter by Design to write yet, life and more importantly reading, just getting in the way!

Another Delectable Dexter read! I should have done this ages ago :D

Synopsis Courtesy of Waterstones:

Dexter Morgan is busy planning his wedding to Rita to complete his nice-guy disguise. But when a student is found burnt, molested and headless - seemingly sacrificed to an ancient god - and Dex is brought in as forensic analyst to help investigate, he realises he could be dealing with someone a whole lot more sinister than he is. Soon it seems the dark passenger in Dexter's head has gone into hiding. And when something creeps out your friendly neighbourhood serial killer, you know it's serious ...As Halpern and Dexter are stalked by death, it looks like it's getting personal - especially as Dex now has a family to protect. Gradually, Dexter realises his stepchildren might share his extracurricular interest in death. Could he help them target their bloodlust, just as he steers his own? But to do that, Dex must cope with a certain mutilated sergeant from his past, and more importantly ...stay alive ...

When I started reading this one I wasn't quite sure what to expect as I'd heard some bad reports about it veering off too much into the world of fantasy. I really can't see what all the fuss was about, I still loved it! Granted in this one it explores more of where his Dark Passenger comes from and stretches the imagination beyond the bounderies of reality, but the writing style is still as good and Dexter's character is just as witty and ironic as always. The storyline also concentrates more on Daddy Dexter which I really really like and includes more about his adoptive children, who are two quite remarkable characters themselves! Plenty of gore thrown in for good measure too. :lol:

To sum up I loved it. I still loved it even though it had more of a fantasy element. I think I may be a bit biased, Dexter can do no wrong in my eyes and had me laughing out loud again! :tong:

10/10

This is the first of nine of a series of Sookie Stackhouse Vampire Mysterys by Charlaine Harris and I read it in two sittings. One of the very few times I've done that with a book!

Synopsis Courtesy of Waterstones:

Small town Louisiana has a big problem - or rather a number of big problems. And now some of them have come knocking on Sookie's door ...Sookie is an unassuming cocktail waitress in an (outwardly) unremarkable town. She's quiet, keeps to herself and doesn't get out much. Attractive as she is, her hidden 'talents' send men running. For some reason her mindreading skills are just a bit threatening ...Then the unreadable Bill appears on the scene. Tall, dark and handsome, Bill seems to be the man of her dreams. Except he's not technically human. Bill is a vampire and a vampire who keeps seriously bad company, some suspected - unsurprisingly - of murder. Things get a bit close to home when a co-worker is murdered and Sookie starts wondering whether she will be next ...

This is a fantastic little read. I really liked Sookie. She has a bit of a problem, she can read people's minds and has been tagged as odd all her life. As you can imagine her dating and sexlife have been quite miserable .. up until Bill appears and boy does he change things! I liked most of the characters in the story, one of my favourites being Sookie's Gran, she was just the most adorable woman with a great inner strength I loved. I had no clue who the killer was, I was totally off base with this one I ended up thinking it would be either

the shapeshifter or Bellefleur the cop!

I was so wrong! I like it when that happens :tong:

The whole vampire take on this with the vampires coming out and becoming legal was good. It was a novel idea and worked well I thought. I hope we see more of other mystical things seeing as

she has also introduced a shapeshifter into the story.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of this series. Thanks Gyre for offering it up as a bookring! :D

10/10 from me!

You are welcome Charm :D

I am glad you enjoyed 'Dead until Dark' :tong: I was way off about the killer too!

:lol: