Why do you read?

Tintin

I think all the other questions have threads and it got me wondering about why I read.

To be honest, a large part of the answer is to pass the time :lol:. I listen to audio books on frequent long car journeys and read books at home because I can't bear to watch (most) telly!

I'd also have to say that a good story together with the peace and solitude to escape into it is a big draw, although I'd be happy in a reasonable sized crowd if there was an old fashioned storyteller weaving a good tale (do such creatures still exist?)

Lastly, there's learning. Providing it's not totally incomprehensible or mind numbingly boring, I'll give it a go - most commonly science and technical material. I once tried a cookery book but found rocket science made more sense :roll:

So, for curiosity's sake, why is reading your thing?

ps I once asked my mum how you know when potatoes are ready.

She sighed heavily (as if talking to a simpleton) and said "You just stick a fork in them".

"Well mum, I've news for you. I can stick a fork in a raw potato..how does this help?"

Logic is nothing without intuition :blush:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ps I once asked my mum how you know when potatoes are ready.

She sighed heavily (as if talking to a simpleton) and said "You just stick a fork in them".

"Well mum, I've news for you. I can stick a fork in a raw potato..how does this help?"

Logic is nothing without intuition :blush:

*cracks up* Good one Tintin!

So, why do I read? I dont know really, I feel like I've always read. Both my parents are avid readers and every single room of our house (down to the loo *laughs*) has always been filled with books... So it's just natural :lol:

Like you I think it's a lot about passing the time and escaping the present... But I guess I could do that with another hobby. Reading just seems to be my thing :roll:

I've always loved reading. I think the biggest part of reading for me is learning/perspective.

Like now, I'm reading Kate Mosse's Labyrinth, and thats incredibly well researched, so I'm learning about A) a culture in france :roll: hundreds of years ago.

I also like reading because even when I don't learn anything it gives an insight into other peoples thoughts and minds. Most artistic things give such insights, which is why I like most artistic things =P

I find reading to be a very relaxing and destressing hobby. There's also a certain amount of escapism to it ... if you spent a few mins inside my head you'd understand :blush:

I find it really rewarding and satisfying too. When I pass my bookshelves I love it when I think 'God I've read all those books!' :roll:

I love reading and I'm not sure why :roll: I'm a big fan of film and tv, but there's something about being able to picture the characters yourself, as well as being able to read exactly what the author wants to tell. I don't know how people do not like reading.

Mostly for me it's just escaping into another world for a few hours, reading has always been my escape from life, even as a very young girl, so when I got older I already had something in place that helps me to relax and just get away for a while! :roll: Plus I do love reading about so many different things, so it's a win/win situation :blush:

I think I go through stages... When I was a kid, I think I read because I enjoyed spending time with the characters and living vicariously through them. Later, I read a lot of classics so that I would be well-rounded as a student. In college, I read as a way to relax and take my mind off my studies. In graduate school, I read to survive.

And now... I'm trying to read to learn about myself and life in general. I'm not happy with how my schooling had made my reading mostly an intellectual exercise, so I'm trying to put more soul into it now. I am reading so that I can relate to the plot, characters, atmosphere, etc on a deeply personal level, if possible. And with Anna Karenina by Tolstoy, which I am currently reading (and loving!), I find it very easy to do this.

Just my own two cents to throw into the mix! :roll:

I don't remember a time when I didn't love reading - I always preferred books to toys or television, even when I was tiny. I love getting to know all the characters in the books, so that they become something akin to old friends, and exploring locations I've not yet seen first hand. There's also the safety of experiencing things at one step removed - let's face it, nobody wants to exprience a murder, but many of us love crime fiction. The realms of fantasy and fiction are infinite, and in a world with definite booundaries, that's an exciting thing in itself!

I'm the same as you, Kell. I can't remember a time when I haven't loved reading. I love losing myself in a book. I experience my most intense emotions when I'm reading a good book.

Hmmmm....is that weird?

Like many of you, I've read for as long as I can remember. From the early days of Nancy Drew and The Babysitters Club series, I've always "had my nose in a book," as my parents liked to say. :D When I started approaching my teenage years, my parents always told me to get my nose out of the book or I'd never learn the roads and highways, and would be lost when it was time to get my driver's license. They were right! :lol:

It's a great way to relax and unwind for me.. I love few things more than reading a great book in a nice, hot bath at the end of the day. The good stories suck me in and it's a great way to live vicariously through others. It's something also about great writers, I think.. its ironic that their hard work and countless re-writes/edits are best recognized when the readers can read effortlessly and get helplessly caught up in the spell of the story.

I love words. I love to chew them around and mull over them (I can take quite a long time over a book if it's well written). I also love to lose myself in books and completely switch off from the outside world. One of the things I missed about commuting up to London was the time on the train spent reading. I like to draw up an image of the characters or the scenery in my mind, which is why I'm often disappointed with TV/film adaptations of books - with the possible exception of BBC's Pride and Prejudice.

They are also such great learning tools. When I was as school/college, the internet wasn't around so we just had to research our stuff through books and I've always been grateful for that.

I read as I think there is nothing better than curled up with a really good book and escape from day to day life. I love reading a book that is so good you can't bear to put it down and you find yourself reading it in the advert breaks of the tv programmes lol.

I also love to learn and crave knowledge so non fiction books are an absolute must as well. :D

you find yourself reading it in the advert breaks of the tv programmes lol.

:mrgreen:LOL, and I thought it was only me .......:D Sometimes, you almost wish the ad breaks were longer so you can finish the chapter..:lol:

:mrgreen:LOL, and I thought it was only me .......:lol: Sometimes, you almost wish the ad breaks were longer so you can finish the chapter..:17:

You are not alone in that Nici and Sue I read books :D during the ads too much more exciting than the ads any day

Edited by Heather

I can't remember a time when I haven't loved reading

I can:motz: I was never a big reader and when I got to junior cert year (or it could have been the year before) my English teacher basically made me hate reading she used to make us sit and read to our selves in class well I am a slow reader back then I was a very slow reader (not bad just slow) and I was never finished the chapter by the time she told us to put the books down which lead to a pile of drama , skip forward a few years, I was really into Marilyn Manson so I picked up his auto biography and I haven

I like a couple of others here can't remember a time when I haven't read. I read for a variety of reasons:-

to escape

learn new things

relax

forget about my own problems

learn about other groups of society

to see how characters behave and interact with each other

because I want to

appreciate our heritage and history

to allow my imagination to 'see' the scene

because I am naturally bookish and love my own space

and mainly because I enjoy the sheer pleasure of just reading!