Why do you read?

Tintin

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to hate reading as a kid. It was only when i went to college and i had no telly that i picked up a book. It was Angelas Ashes, and really enjoyed reading as an experience. For me it was an achievement having finished a book. I never had the patience to complete a book and thought it was such a boring activity. However once i started reading my vocabulary became much bigger and i could transport myself into which ever era i liked to enter into. I discovered i loved learning new things. I remember reading " I lived for a thousand years" which is about the second world war and discovering that for past 20 minutes i had been so absorbed in the book i hadnt known anything about the real world around me for all that time. In fact i was out of breath running to escape with the characters, probably because i had barely been breathing with the tension built up in the story. Sometimes to be able to escape to that extreme can be quite cool.

I find if im stressed with the real world though, i cant enjoy my reading. I can have read and re read a page and am thinking of other things. I need to be in a content mood to be able to disappear into a book.

I read because I love to read, it takes me away somewhere else and I have great memories while reading some books. When I can really get into a book, really lose myself in it, it's something I find worthwhile. I like to be stimulated in that way, and I especially love things that provoke some sort of reaction in me be it good, bad, emotional or just a good laugh. I love being able to laugh, cry, feel for the characters.

And that's why it's so important to me to be able to create that for other people and to know that others are taking something away from my work, that makes it all worthwhile for me. You know?

there are many reasons why i read. i think that a good book always surpasses a good film. in books everything is so much more real. you can put your own imprint in it with the images in your own imagination, and the books that you read make you wiser.

it helps you deal with every day life. if a character looses someone close, it helps you understand why we feel the way we do. it makes you happy for the things you have and it can inspire you to change the world.

books are magical, they record and write things so that future generations can experience the past as it was when it was present. books are much more than just entertainment. they hold knowledge and history.

without books, we would not know half as much about our ancient races as we do, and train journeys would be very boring without tolkien, dickens, bronte, and many other classics.

I read because I enjoy it. I read to learn, in regards to my degree and as well as for pleasure and my Christian life. I find it relaxing and fun. My idea of a perfect night is curled up with my BF, both reading, with a cup of tea. I find it to be an enjoyable way to pass the time