kernow's book blog 2009

kernow_reader

I'll start with what I read through December 2008.

This Christmas I looked for something seasonal but different and came up with these:

Mr Ives' Christmas by Oscar Hijuelos ~

Mr Ives, a foundling born and raised in New York City believes in forebearance, tolerance, patience and walking the path of righteousness even when it concerns the person who murders his teenage son.

My first discovery of Hijuelos an American-Cuban novelist of whom I seek more. While some people may possibly feel annoyance with Mr Ives' "naivety"

I loved his steadfast character and identified with his Catholic principles.

10/10

A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg ~

A somewhat twee chocolate box tale but highly readable and charming. Plus Flagg's characters always have that delightful eccentricity; like who could not love a protaganist called Oswald T Campbell called so because he was left on the doorstep of the convent with a tin of Campbells Tomato soup?

This tale follows Chicagoan Oswald's progress after his Doctor advises him to relocate down south to endure the last of his pulmonary disease. It does more than that!

8/10

Then I read the one I've read every Christmas for the past 30 years

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens ~

An excellent seasonal literary piece of which I never tire. To it I raise an enormous glass of stinking bishop.

10/10

Every Light In The House Burning by Andrea Levy ~

Great tale of Jamaican family enduring life on a council estate in London through the 50s and 60s. Told in retrospect as the youngest daughter Angela tries to obtain help for her seriously ill Father and his main carer her Mother.

Loved this book as I love all the Levy's I've so far read. Identifiable family life from my generation The Golden Shot, Pontin's Holidy Camp. Laughed out loud many times. Also readily identified with the NHS of the late 60's and the general attitude towards illness/death/dying. :D

9/10

8/10

Then I read the one I've read every Christmas for the past 30 years

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens ~

An excellent seasonal literary piece of which I never tire. To it I raise an enormous glass of stinking bishop.

Read this for the first time last month and ended up enjoying it (wasn't too sure to start with!)

I'll start with what I read through December 2008.

This Christmas I looked for something seasonal but different and came up with these:

Mr Ives' Christmas by Oscar Hijuelos ~

Mr Ives, a foundling born and raised in New York City believes in forebearance, tolerance, patience and walking the path of righteousness even when it concerns the person who murders his teenage son.

My first discovery of Hijuelos an American-Cuban novelist of whom I seek more. While some people may possibly feel annoyance with Mr Ives' "naivety"

I loved his steadfast character and identified with his Catholic principles.

10/10

I read this a few years ago and thought it was a lovely book- I think I will re read it now you have jogged my memory!

At Swim, Two Boys by Jamie O'Neil ~

Tells the story of two young Irish boys, their friendship and affections for each other up to and during the time of the Dublin Easter Rising in 1916.

Upon reading this I was reminded of James Joyce's prose and indeed on researching found that this novel had been likened to him. Not always an easy read as it's written in a stream of consciousness narrative mode where the speaker's thoughts are written as "heard in the mind" or "addressed to oneself" and at times this was irritating and difficult to follow. I'm glad I persevered though and on the whole I liked the tale told.

6/10.

• 1 month later...

The Curious Tale of Benjamin Button and Six Other Stories by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

I do like this author. I love his writing style and use of words. However, these were tales that just seemed to end abruptly and led nowhere. I still liked his use of words though:)

"The Palace of Strange Girls" by Sallie Day

Debut novel by this author tells about the Singleton family holidaying in Blackpool in the late 1950's. 16 year old Helen wishes to be grown up, grow away and experience life and love, 7 year old Beth longs to complete her I-Spy at the Seaside book, Father Jack tries to keep a secret whilst iron matriarch Ruth attempts to keep control of them all.

A likeable easy read each chapter cleverly set around an "I-Spy at the Seaside" challenge. (Remember those books?) One readily enters the world of the Singletons on their annual seaside holiday; the trials and tribulations of a family vacation, things naturally growing devloping and maturing: children, families, life, love, experiences, friendships; the wants, wishes and desires of individuals within a family and the blending, gelling and separating required to please all.

The author also gives us glimpses into the Lancashire Cotton Mills Industry of the late 50's.

Did I like it? I did and I didn't. I know I was "annoyed" when it ended because I wanted to know more. But maybe that's good? I also know that I just adored seven year old Beth. A little poppet of a character who has to wear pink plastered over NHS spectacles for a lazy eye and a woollen liberty bodice and vest to keep her hole in the heart weakened chest warm at all times :lol:

8/10

• 3 weeks later...