Which Endings Have Really Disappointed you? *SPOILER ALERT!*

Nellie

It is possible! :D

I've loved Nic Cage ever since City Of Angels and The Family Man. Also love him in Gone In Sixty Seconds. Hes a legend.

I have most of his films on DVD and I adore him much to my BF's amusement, who continually claims he is pants! :motz:What does he know eh! :D

I have to admit I largely love Nic because if I was 20 years older I'd find him highly attractive. Hes very good looking, but in that 'if-I-were-his-age' kinda way.

Its his gorgeous droopy blue eyes. My not-boyfriend has the same kinda eyes and I love them. :D

Cell: I agree with the end being quite anticlimactic (the "main "fight" being less than expected) and most of all the whole idea of reverse pulse didn't stood well with me. What I did like though was that we are not told the ending of the experiment Clayton did with his son so it was a cool ending even for non-believers like me

I am not remembering much of this, might have to skim through again!

It's late and I'm tired, but the only thing that comes to mind for me right now is The Little Friend by Donna Tartt. The whole book was a big disappointment for me, but especially the ending. Never before have I had so many questions at the end of a book. It was soon after it came out that I read it (a few years ago now) but I distinctly remember actually writing down all the unanswered issues that I had questions on. It made me angry in fact, but that was compounded because I had waited 10 years since her first and only other book which I absolutely loved, A Secret History.

The ending of Skin Privilege by Karin Slaughter floored me. I was genuinely gutted (and still am a little bit even though it was months ago I read it). Not enough to want to send Karin Slaughter hate mail though :D

Oh, Yep - big time flooring here! But it wasn't a disappointment -

just a shock!

Going to have to say - although I loved the Harry Potter series, and loved MANY parts of

Deathly Hallows, some parts did not ring true/believable enough, and I was annoyed that

Harry's closing thought was wanting a (probably) knackered Kreacher to fix him a sandwich!

Edited by Chrissy
added some further thoughts!

Oh, Yep - big time flooring here! But it wasn't a disappointment -

just a shock!

I did feel like it was a disappointment - not the way a lot of people apparently felt it was, in that Karin Slaughter had 'let them down', just the whole feeling of loss I think. Made me sad - and made me wonder where the characters will go from there.

I did feel like it was a disappointment - not the way a lot of people apparently felt it was, in that Karin Slaughter had 'let them down', just the whole feeling of loss I think. Made me sad - and made me wonder where the characters will go from there.

The sense of 'ownership' some readers feel over books and/or characters is

astounding sometimes, although maybe that's a sign of good writing/storytelling -

if people have such a strong reaction.

And yes, where can they go from there? Another time, another thread maybe?! :D

Fox Evil by Minette Walters, and Land of the Living by Nicci French.

I really enjoyed both books until the ending. In both cases the protagonist was someone who had not been featured at all in the book until the ending. I was very disappointed.

I agree with your comment on nicci french i did feel slightly jilted of an explanation at the end, i liked the personal justice used though. :lol: (if im remembering rightly)

To be fair, we all know that Deathly Hallows was a bit of a let down, but lets admit that it was an amazing series and would everyone have been happy whatever happened? I doubt it.

To be fair, we all know that Deathly Hallows was a bit of a let down, but lets admit that it was an amazing series and would everyone have been happy whatever happened? I doubt it.

I agree. However she wrote it, someone would have said 'Urgh. What a load of ****'. It's impossible to please everyone and although the ending wasn't great, I think any other way might not of worked. I think the endings to a series of books will always be difficult to write and read as it's hard to get that balance. You become attached to the characters so you don't want them to be killed off but when they get that lovely happy ending, you feel a little cheated. Never happy, aye?

I agree. However she wrote it, someone would have said 'Urgh. What a load of ****'. It's impossible to please everyone and although the ending wasn't great, I think any other way might not of worked. I think the endings to a series of books will always be difficult to write and read as it's hard to get that balance. You become attached to the characters so you don't want them to be killed off but when they get that lovely happy ending, you feel a little cheated. Never happy, aye?

Especially how the Harry Potter series had achieved world wide aclaim, and captured many children and adult's hearts. It was so hard to finish for her, and every single person who read and followed them all, felt a tear in their eye at the end..

Especially how the Harry Potter series had achieved world wide aclaim, and captured many children and adult's hearts. It was so hard to finish for her, and every single person who read and followed them all, felt a tear in their eye at the end..

Very true. However what I resent in that book is not the ending (which though not perfect was perfectly acceptable and most importantly was her ending to the series she wrote) but the way a lot of it was badly explained/ not made believable like she did so well in the rest of the series.

But all in all it does remain an amazing set of books and she certainly did have her job cut out for her having to end it.

Very true. However what I resent in that book is not the ending (which though not perfect was perfectly acceptable and most importantly was her ending to the series she wrote) but the way a lot of it was badly explained/ not made believable like she did so well in the rest of the series.

But all in all it does remain an amazing set of books and she certainly did have her job cut out for her having to end it.

Agreed! :D

The reason that I hated the ending was that it was Rowling's way of saying "I ruined this series so later no one can." She obviously thought that Harry Potter would later be continued (Harry Potter 8: The Return of Voldemort and Dumbledore) if she didn't tie everything up so she made an ending that obviously seemed rushed and pointless.