Fairy Cakes

Nellie

Really? In what way does it go wrong?

They either come out like biscuits or stay soggy in the middle no matter how long I cook them for!

Just don`t think I`m destined for success in the muffin department. :)

I think the proportion of ingredients is different and the way you make them. For your fairy/butterfly/cup-cake recipe you beat the butter and sugar together, beat in egg then add flour etc. For muffins, you use far more flour, and less butter. Usually you just sift the flour and add the wet ingredients and mix quickly. They come out quite differently.

I think the proportion of ingredients is different and the way you make them. For your fairy/butterfly/cup-cake recipe you beat the butter and sugar together, beat in egg then add flour etc. For muffins, you use far more flour, and less butter. Usually you just sift the flour and add the wet ingredients and mix quickly. They come out quite differently.

That's how I make muffins. And cupcakes. Now I'm confused.

And yes, I'm going!

Ah well, that's the NZ way, which is basically British I guess with a bit of the US thrown in for good measure. Names for things and ways you make them can vary hugely from country to country. Look at scones and biscuits. They mean something entirely different to the Americans and British. Yours are Finnish muffins and cupcakes :)

Yours are Finnish muffins and cupcakes :)

While you're right about the different variations, that's not correct.

But the way I've always seen it, muffins are basically like cupcakes, only less sweet in general. And there's no frosting in muffins. So cupcakes = small sweet cake with frosting. Muffin = small possibly sweet cake without frosting and usually something additional thrown in (chocolate, yoghurt, etc.) So cupcakes are the frosted suary things and muffins are the possibly healthier ones.

wow they look yummy, i want cake now......i always thought cakes that had the top cut out and then cut in half and placed back on top to look like wings were fairy cakes? I guess there are many interpretations all over as is with most things.

To me, fairy cakes are little decorated sponge cakes like in the pic in the first post - I always assumed that "fairy" related to the smaller size. The ones with the middle cut out and stuck to the top with frosting were always butterfly cakes.

Muffins were always (when I was growing up) a bready product - I guess they'd be called English muffins or breakfast muffins now - I never knew about the sweet "American" muffins till I was in my teens!

And to me, scones are a pastry product and biscuits are sweet (cookies).

So many differences culturally! :)

Lmao course I didn't make it, Inver only requested one like 2 hours ago.

For your information, however. I am a very good baker(ess? ;)) and I could easily make a cake that looks like that, its not exactly neat, its a chocolate sponge with chocolate icing slathered all over at random. With chocolate logs poured randomly on top.