Kell's 2009 Reading...

Kell

I used to read, on average, 125 books every year, but now I'll be happy if I manage to read one week. As I don't get all that much to read, I'm actually setting myself target of 40 books this year, just so I don't have too much pressure on!

ETA: Seeing as how I've hit the 40-book mark, I'm now hoping to reach the grand total of 52 books - one for each week of the year...

MOUNT TBR

Dan Abnet - Triumff: Her Majesty's Hero

Alma Alexander – The Embers of Heaven

Kelley Armstrong - Frostbitten

Kelley Armstrong – Men of the Otherworld

Kelley Armstrong (and others) – Dates From Hell

Jane Austen – Persuasion

Jane Austen- Sense and Sensibility

Mikkel Birkegaard – The Library of Shadows

Brom - The Child Thief (illustrated novel)

Brom - The Plucker (illustrated novel) (re-read)

Anne Bronte – Agnes Grey

Margaret Cezair-Thomon - The Pirate's Daughter

Elizabeth Chadwick – Shadows and Strongholds

Bernard Cornwell - Stonehenge

Daniel Defoe – Moll Flanders

Daniel Defoe – Robinson Crusoe

Charles Dickens – Tale of Two Cities

Charles Dickens – Bleak House

Charles Dickens – Oliver Twist

Alexandre Dumas – The Count of Monte Cristo

Ben Elton – The First Casualty

Michel Faber – The Crimson Petal and the White

F Scott Fitzgerald – Tender is the Night

Anne Frank – Anne Fran’s Diary

Philippa Gregory – The Favoured Child

Philippa Gregory – The Other Queen

Philippa Gregory - The White Queen

Thomas Hardy – Jude the Obscure

Thomas Hardy – The Mayor of Casterbridge

Thomas Hardy – Tess of the D’Urbervilles

Charlaine Harris - Dead Until Dark (Southern Vampires 1)

Charlaine Harris - Living Dead in Dallas (Southern Vampires 2)

Charlaine Harris - Club Dead (Southern Vampires 3)

Charlaine Harris - Dead to the World (Southern Vampires 4)

Charlaine Harris - Dead as a Doornail (Southern Vampires 5)

Charlaine Harris - Definitely Dead (Southern Vampires 6)

Charlaine Harris - All Together Dead (Southern Vampires 7)

Charlaine Harris - From Dead to Worse (Southern Vampires 8 )

Robert Harris - Pompeii

Katherine Howe – The Lost Book of Salem

Victor Hugo – The Hunchback of Notre-Dame

Victor Hugo – Les Miserables Vol.1

Victor Hugo – Les Miserables Vol 2

Kazuo Ishiguro – When We Were Orphans

Jeanne Kalogridis – The Borgia Bride

Raymond Khoury – The Last Templar

Barbara Kingslover – The Poisonwood Bible

Steig Larsson – The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

D H Lawrence – Women in Love

Doris Lessing - The Golden Notebook

Hilary Mantel – Wolf Hall

Valerio Massimo Manfredi – The Last Legion

Colum McCann - Zoli

Sharyn McCrumb - Zombies of the Gene Pool

Herman Melville – Moby Dick

Margaret Mitchell – Gone with the Wind

A E Moorat - Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter

Audrey Niffenegger - Her Fearful Symmetry

Holly Peterson – The Manny

Jean Plaidy – The King’s Secret Matter

Terry Pratchett - Unseen Academicals

Caro Ramsay - Absolution

Michelle Richmond – No-One You Know

M J Rose – The Reincarnationist

Simon Scarrow - The Gladiator (Romans 9)

Simon Scarrow – Young Bloods (Revolution 1)

Simon Scarrow – The Generals (Revolution 2)

Simon Scarrow – Fire and Sword (Revolution 3)

Robert Silverberg - Roma Eterna

Nicholas Sparks – The Notebook

John Steinbeck – East of Eden

Charles Stross - The Atrocity Archives

Colm Toibin - Brooklyn

William Thackeray – Vanity Fair

Leo Tolstoy – Anna Karenina

Lew Wallace – Ben Hur

Alison Weir – Innocent Traitor

P G Wodehouse – Thank You, Jeeves

Thomas Wolfe – The Bonfire of the Vanities

WISH LIST:

Kelley Armstrong - The Reckoning (DP 3)

Kelley Armstrong - Waking the Witch (WotOW 11)

Kelley Armtrong - Angelic (novella)

Kelley Armstrong - Tales of the Otherworld (collection)

Christopher Brookmyre - Pandaemonium

Frank Miller - 300 (illustrated novel)

Alan Moore - The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (illustrated novel)

Terry Pratchett - Once More* With Footnotes

Simon Scarrow - The Fields of Death (Revolution 4)

Edited by Kell

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OC = Olympic Challenge

1001 = from Peter Boxall's 1001 books to read before you die

PC = Posh Club Reading Group (local Aberdeen book group)

RC= Book Club Forum Main Reading Circle

CRC = Book Club Forum Classic Reading Circle

Blue = Currently Reading

FINISHED IN JANUARY:

1. J K Rowling - The Tales of Beedle the Bard - 7/10

2. Brom - The Devil's Rose (illustrated novel) - 10/10 :)

3. Neil Gaiman - The Graveyard Book - 9/10

4. David Langford - The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook - 8/10

5. Kelley Armstrong - Living with the Dead - 9/10

6. Kelley Armstrong - The Summoning - 8/10

FINISHED IN FEBRUARY:

7. Koji Suzuki - Ring (OC - Japan) - 7/10

8. Annabel Karmel - Feeding Your Baby and Toddler - 8/10

Tom Robbins - Half Asleep in Frog Pajamas - ABANDONED :lol:

9. Stephenie Meyer - Twilight - 7/10

10. Jodi Lipper and Cerina Vincent - How to Eat Like a Hot Chick: Lose the Guilt, Find the Fabulous - 8/10

11. Stephenie Meyer - New Moon - 7/10

12. Stephenie Meyer - Eclipse - 8/10

FINISHED IN MARCH:

13. Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell - The Immortals (The Edge Chronicles) - 7/10

14. Stephenie Meyer - Breaking Dawn - 6/10

15. Elizabeth Pantley - The No Cry Sleep Solution - 5/10

16. Sharon Griffiths - The Accidental Time Traveller - 7/10

17. Terry Pratchett and Jacqueline Simpson - The Folklore of the Discworld - 9/10

18. Kate Mosse - The Cave - 7/10

19. Ian Rankin - A Cool Head - 7/10

FINISHED IN APRIL:

20. Danny Wallace - Yes Man - 7/10

Edited by Kell

OC = Olympic Challenge

1001 = from Peter Boxall's 1001 books to read before you die

PC = Posh Club Reading Group (local Aberdeen book group)

RC = Book Club Forum Main Reading Circle

CRC = Book Club Forum Classic Reading Circle

Blue = Currently Reading

FINISHED IN MAY:

21. Christopher Brookmyre - Quite Ugly One Morning (re-read) - 8/10

22. Gervase Phinn - All These Lonely People - 7/10

Louis de Bernieres - Captain Corelli’s Mandolin (1001 / RC) - 5/10 (UNFINISHED)

FINISHED IN JUNE:

23. Kelley Armstrong - The Awakening (Darkest Powers #2) - 8/10

24. Christopher Brookmyre - A Snowball in Hell - 10/10 :)

25. Danny Wallace - Danny Wallace and the Centre of the Universe - 8/10

26. Danny Wallace - Friends Like These - 8/10

FINISHED IN JULY:

27. Danny Wallace and Dave Gorman - Are You Dave Gorman - 6/10

28. Jill Kargman - Momzillas - 7/10

29. Tom Weston - First Night - 7/10

30. Marcus Sedgwick - Floodland - 6/10

FINISHED IN AUGUST:

30. Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith - Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - 7/10

31. Kelley Armstrong - Made to be Broken - 8/10

Edited by Kell

Blue = Currently Reading

FINISHED IN SEPTEMBER:

32. Beryl Bainbridge - An Awfully Big Adventure - 2/10

33. William Sleator - Blackbriar - 7/10

34. Emma Tennant - Pemberley - 7/10

35. Michelle Moran - Cleopatra's Daughter - 9/10

36. Bernhard Schlink - The Reader - 9/10

37. John Boyne - The Dare (Quick Read) - 8/10

38. Amanda Grange - Mr Darcy, Vampyre - 7/10

FINISHED IN OCTOBER:

39. Maria V Snyder - Poison Study - 9/10

40. William Sleater - Others See Us - 7/10

41. Eoin Colfer - Half Moon Detective Agency - 7/10

42. James Runcie - The Discovery of Chocolate - 6/10

43. Ben Dolnick – Zoology - 7/10

Lauren Liebenberg - The Voluptuous Delights of Peanut Butter and Jam - ABANDONED

44. Stuart Macbride - Blind Eye - 10/10

FINISHED IN NOVEMBER:

45. Marcus Sedgwick - The Dark Flight Down - 6/10

46. Kathy Lette - All Steamed Up - 4/10

47. Miriam Toews - The Flying Troutmans - 5/10

FINISHED IN DECEMBER:

48. Dacre Stoker - Dracula The Un-Dead - 7/10

49. Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451 - 6/10

50. Stuart B Macbride - Halfhead - 7/10

51. Adam Roberts - I Am Scrooge: A Zombie Story for Christmas - 6/10

52. Kelley Armstrong - Frostbitten - 8/10

Edited by Kell

beedlenq2.th.jpg

The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling

Synopsis:

'You've never heard of The Tales of Beedle the Bard?' said Ron incredulously. 'You're kidding, right?' (From Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) Published by the Children's High Level Group in association with Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, The Tales of Beedle the Bard is the first new book from J. K. Rowling since the publication of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The Tales of Beedle the Bard played a crucial role in assisting Harry, with his friends Ron and Hermione, to finally defeat Lord Voldemort. Fans will be thrilled to have this opportunity to read the tales in full. An exciting addition to the canon of Harry Potter, the tales reveal the wonderful versatility of the author, as she tackles with relish the structure and varying tones of a classic fairy tale. There are five tales: 'The Tale of the Three Brothers', recounted in Deathly Hallows, plus 'The Fountain of Fair Fortune', 'The Warlock's Hairy Heart', 'The Wizard and the Hopping Pot', and 'Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump'. Each has its own magical character and will bring delight, laughter and the thrill of mortal peril. Translated from the original runes by Hermione Granger, the tales are introduced and illustrated by J. K. Rowling. Also included are notes by Professor Albus Dumbledore, which appear by kind permission of the Hogwarts Headmasters' Archive.

My thoughts:

A rather delightful collection of fables from Rowling's wizarding world, complete with the notes of Dumbledore on each. A lovely addition to the collection of any Rowling fan. It's a very quick, but very entertaining and enjoyable read.

Rating: 7/10

Other titles by this author:

The Harry Potter series

Edited by Kell

devilsroseqi9.th.jpg

The Devil's Rose by Brom

Synopsis:

From the creator of "Plucker" comes another illustrated novel, set in Texas and hell. Escapees from hell fill the pages of this book, terrifying and slaying the living as they try to flee their guards from the underworld. Cole, one of the undead, has been sent to reclaim these souls in flight and return them to the fiery depths. But one escaped soul is not like the others: Rath. He in fact wants to return to hell. But why? And why does Cole, a tormented soul from hell strive to capture his fellow mates? It has to do with a woman named Rose, who he did wrong and a pact he made with the devil.

My thoughts:

Brom has to be one of the most talented fantasy artists working today, and to top it all, he can actually write too! The Devil's Rose is Brom's second illustrated novel (his first being the sumptuously gorgeous The Plucker) and with it he proves he's not just a one-hit wonder. His dark yet achingly beautiful art perfectly complements this twisted tale of damnation, redemption and the choices made by one man on a quest. I can't recommend this highly enough - it's as near to perfect as you can get.

Rating: 10/10

The Plucker

Edited by Kell

graveyardbooksd8.th.jpg

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

Synopsis:

When a baby escapes a murderer intent on killing the entire family, who would have thought it would find safety and security in the local graveyard? Brought up by the resident ghosts, ghouls and spectres, Bod has an eccentric childhood learning about life from the dead. But for Bod there is also the danger of the murderer still looking for him - after all, he is the last remaining member of the family. A stunningly original novel deftly constructed over eight chapters, featuring every second year of Bod's life, from babyhood to adolescence. Will Bod survive to be a man?

My thoughts:

Neil Gaiman is an amazing writer and I've read several of his books, this, however, has already become my favourite one. The characters are so well realised it feels like you're reading about old friends; the plot is suspensful and keeps you gripped from start to finish; and although aimed at the youth market, has enough oomph to keep any adult reader amused to the last page. To top it all, this version has beautiful pen and ink illustrations by Chris Riddell (who also illustrated The Edge Chronicles) to enchant readers of any age. It's a lot of fun to read and you get really invested in the action, so the pages fly past - grab it, read it, love it!

Rating: 9/10

Written by Gaiman - Neverwhere; Stardust; American Gods; Good Omens (with Terry Pratchett)

Illustrated by Chris Riddell - The Edge Chronicles (written by Paul Stewart)

Edited by Kell

• 2 weeks later...

uucem9.th.jpg[

The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook by David Langford

Synopsis:

Questions about figgins, DEATH, mind-destroying footnotes, carnivorous Luggage, quantum butterflies,the magico-numerical significance of what we must always call twice-four or seven-plus-one, and even the precise sex of the Great A'Tuin, the enormous sea-turtle who swims eternally through space bearing (via four elephant middlemen) the Discworld . . . all these and many more will keep fans of fantasy and the Discworld occupied for many happy hours. Each of the faculties of the Discworld's greatest college of magic, Unseen University, in the heart of that great metropolis Ankh-Morpork, have provided a number of questions - and the answers, in case you don't know as much about the Discworld and fantasy as you thought you did. However, be assured there is no golden turtle buried somewhere on the Sto Plains for followers of the *hidden* clues to unearth . . . this is just a myth!

My thoughts:

Calling all Discworld fans! Anyone who thinks they know their stuff when it comes to the Discworld should get their gleeful mitts on this dandy little updated quiz book. Containing questions across the scale of easy-peasy to devillishly difficult, it will challenge even the hardiest of Pratchetteers as they test their knowledge of the flatest of fantasy worlds. It's fun, it's funny and it's a must-have addition to anyone who loves the work of Britain's greatest living fantasy author!

Rating: 8/10

The Wyrdest Link: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quiz Book

The Leaky Establishment (with Terry Pratchett)

Edited by Kell

There were some I could remember who the answers but not quite the whole names as it's been a while since I read the older books, and there were others I didn't know at all, but I did pretty well - I'd say around 75%. :)

deadkx8.th.jpg

Living with the Dead by Kelley Armstrong (WotOW 9)

Synopsis:

Robyn Peltier has always lived a normal life. So when her boss is murdered and she is named prime suspect, she is way out of her depth. As the bodies pile up only her friend Hope, and Hope's somewhat spooky boyfriend Karl, are on her side. Hope, meanwhile, has a few secrets of her own. Namely that she is half-demon, and her 'spooky' boyfriend is actually a werewolf. Hope also knows that Robyn has accidentally stumbled into a bloody supernatural turf war. And the only way she can keep her friend alive is by letting her enter a world she's safer knowing nothing about ...

My thoughts:

This is the first time that a non-supernatural has played a major role in one of the Women of the Otherworld books, so straight off, there was in interesting twist. Also, the story is told from multiple points of view (although all in the third person), meaning the action unfolds and crosses over as the plot progresses. There's excitement right from the start (well, with a chaos half-demon as one of the major players, you can hardly expect anything less!) and I was gripped throughout - edge of my seat stuff. The character development doesn't suffer though - Armstrong's world of supernaturals has filled out nicely and even her new characters arrive as complete people that are believable and with whom you can fully empathise. This is an excellent episode in what must be one of the best supernatural series around!

Rating: 9/10

WotOW series - Bitten / Stolen / Dime Store Magic / Industrial Magic / Haunted / Broken / No Humans Involved / Personal Demon

Nadia Stafford series - Exit Strategy

Edited by Kell

summoningtp1.th.jpg

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (Darkest Powers 1)

Synopsis:

The first book in the Darkest Powers trilogy - a brand new series by bestselling author Kelley Armstrong. All Chloe Saunders wants is a life like any normal teenager - the chance to get through school, make friends, and maybe meet a boy. But when she starts seeing ghosts, she knows that life will never be normal again. Soon ghosts are everywhere, demanding her attention. When Chloe finally breaks down, she's admitted to a group home for disturbed kids. At first Lyle House seems okay, but as she gets to know the other patients - charming Simon and his ominous, unsmiling brother Derek; obnoxious Tori; and Rae, who has a 'thing' for fire - Chloe begins to realise that something strange and sinister binds them all together, and it isn't your usual 'problem kid' behaviour. And they're about to discover that Lyle House is not your usual group home, either ...

My thoughts:

Although obviously aimed at the youth market, Kelley Armstrong maintains her own style and refuses to "dumb down" for a younger audience. The Darkest Powers trilogy is set in the same "universe" as the Women of the Otherworld series (sort of a Teens of the Otherworld!), but is completely seperate from those stories.

There's plenty of teen angst - the problems young people face just trying to fit in and be "normal" at a time when everything is changing so fast is a difficult enough time as it is, but if you're a supernatural and don't know it, there's a whole extra set of troubles that can be misinterpreted and this is used to excellent effect, so that the usual "misunderstood teen" angle is given a new slant.

There's plenty of action, despite this being the start of character introductions, and there's more than enough there for the reader to get fully invested in the lives of the characters and really care about Chloe and her friends. And to top it off, it's left on a humdinger of a cliffhanger which will leave any reader gagging to get hold of the sequel!

This is an excellent introduction, both the the new series and the Armstrong as a writer, for both teen readers and those who haven't already discovered her other books. Grab it, read it, love it!

Rating: 8/10

WotOW series - Bitten / Stolen / Dime Store Magic / Industrial Magic / Haunted / Broken / No Humans Involved / Personal Demon / Living with the Dead

Nadia Stafford series - Exit Strategy

Edited by Kell

Well, for anyone who's coming to them new, the order of the various series are shown in the "other titles by this author to try" bit at the end of the review. I came to Bitten (the first WotOW book) shortly after it was published back in 2001, and have kept up with them ever since because I love them so much! SOme are better than others, right enough, but that's the case with any series, and there's not been a bad book yet - I think the lowest I've ever rated any of them was 7/10 and even that's pretty good because it's very rare anything gets a 10 - most of them have been 8 or 9!

Well, for anyone who's coming to them new, the order of the various series are shown in the "other titles by this author to try" bit at the end of the review. I came to Bitten (the first WotOW book) shortly after it was published back in 2001, and have kept up with them ever since because I love them so much! SOme are better than others, right enough, but that's the case with any series, and there's not been a bad book yet - I think the lowest I've ever rated any of them was 7/10 and even that's pretty good because it's very rare anything gets a 10 - most of them have been 8 or 9!

Sounds like a good series then, if it manages to keep you buying them whenever they come out, then she's doing something right.

Definitely - especially as there have been 9 (so far) in the WotOW series and one each from the start of two new series - I can't get enough of them! She has 3 books out this year (one for each series) and I will DEFINITELY be getting all three!