Radjack's book adventure 2009

Guest radjack

Guest radjack

Now that 2009 is about to start I think it's about time I start reading books more seriously.

What I really want is to read at least one book per week until 2010.Thanks for reading this;)

Edited by radjack

Wow, one book a week is quite the ambitious goal. You're going to learn so much! If I were to do something like that, I would certainly appreciate this forum or a journal to jot down a summary of what I want to retain from the books. You can bet your boots I would run even the most distinguished ones together.:lol: Anyway, do enjoy, radjack - luckily your style of books are deep but easy to eat up!

Edited by Child.of.God.1989
removed some repetition:P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest radjack

So Finally the new year is here!

I didn't finish LOTR, I got a PS3 for christmas and I didn't read a single page of LORT since then.

But anyway, 2009 is here and is time for me to do some serious reading so I wanted to ask you what would you recommend for my first read in 2009?

If you can please tell me some cheap and easy to find books for my first read of this year.

I was thinking in an horror book or maybe a classic.

Thanks in advance:blush:

Hope you all have a great year!

EDIT: I'm going to enter in the classic challenge so that's one classic book per month for me!

Edited by radjack

Guest radjack

So since no one would give suggestions about what book should I first read I choose myself.

The first Book I read in 2009 was Contos Exemplares By Sophia de Mello Breyner (Portuguese Author).

This book don't have an English translation I think all of you that can understand Portuguese (not that many I think:lol:) should read this one particulary book.

Sophia is one of the best writers in Portugal and I think that this was by far her best book.

This week i didn't bought any books:motz:

I'm taking suggestions about what my next read should be.

Guest radjack
What about Bram Stoker's 'Dracula'? A horror and a classic in one go! :lol: Although if you like horror you've probably read it :lol:.

Have you read William Peter Blatty's 'The Exorcist'? Its very good.

Dracula :roll::D:blush: I've started reading it like 3 times but I just can't read it all the way down to the end... I don't know way, I really like Stoker's, but I just can't finish the book...

I haven't read the exorcist yet, but I liked the movie, I'll see if I can find one copy in my Local book store.

Guest radjack

My second book of the year (actually it was the 4th but wathever XD) is Hellboy Library Edition, I know this is a graphic Novel, but this is so GOOD that i had to put it on my list of books for this year, I also read other graphic novels but this one was by far the best.

If you like comics and never read hellboy do yourself a favor and go buy Library edition 1.

Books I bought so far:

Joker HC by Brian Azzarello

The right hand of doom by Robert Howard

Books I read so far:

Joker HC

Hellboy library edition vol.01

Hellsing vol.01

Contos Exemplares

Guest radjack

Today I went to my favourite bookstore to buy one book that I needed to my Portuguese classes.

There was a great promotion on books written in English so I bought some of them. I forgot to buy the book that I was looking for though:lol:

I bought:

A Choir of Ill Children By Tom Piccirilli

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley (I only had a copy translated to Portuguese)

Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris (hardcover)

I'm going to star (re)reading Frankenstein tonight.:D

Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris (hardcover):D

Oh I read this and loved it! But then I did love all of Thomas Harris' books. :D I loved the movie version too, Hannibal Lectar is one of my favourite characters ever, wouldn't want to have dinner at his place though! :D

Guest radjack
Oh I read this and loved it! But then I did love all of Thomas Harris' books. :D I loved the movie version too, Hannibal Lectar is one of my favourite characters ever, wouldn't want to have dinner at his place though! :D

And I wouldn't like to BE the dinner at his place:lol:

I love hannibal lecter, but I didn't saw the last movie that came out (hannibal risingXD).

My second book of the year (actually it was the 4th but wathever XD) is Hellboy Library Edition, I know this is a graphic Novel, but this is so GOOD that i had to put it on my list of books for this year, I also read other graphic novels but this one was by far the best.

If you like comics and never read hellboy do yourself a favor and go buy Library edition 1.

I've only ever seen the first film (I got the second for Christmas, but have yet to watch it!), but I'm tempted to give that - and the animated DVDs - a try.

Guest radjack
I've only ever seen the first film (I got the second for Christmas, but have yet to watch it!), but I'm tempted to give that - and the animated DVDs - a try.

I still don't own the animated DVD's, but I got to tell you the second film is great!

I watched it like five times!

• 1 month later...
Guest radjack
That's a fantastic read, radjack. Hope to read some thoughts on the volume once you've finished :). Happy reading!

Thanks Andaira, I hope I can finish reading the book by tomorrow:blush:

• 3 months later...
Guest radjack

Hey people long time no see:lol:

I couldn't do what I wanted to do this year (one book per week), but I have read quite a few good ones so far.

I started reading Wrong about Japan today, the book it's really small so I think I can finish it in an hour or two...

I'm going shopping later on so I'll let you know if I buy anything new.

Guest radjack

I finished Wrong about Japan by Peter Carey (I forgot to say the author's name on the previous post).

I went to my local book store and bought Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson, I'm looking forward to start reading it.

I went to my local book store and bought Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson, I'm looking forward to start reading it.

Hey radjack :weeping: Nice to see you back! :)

I have this book on my wishlist, I keep meaning to get it but you get so many great recommendations on this forum that it keeps going out of my head :)

Guest radjack
Hey radjack :006: Nice to see you back! :smile2:

I have this book on my wishlist, I keep meaning to get it but you get so many great recommendations on this forum that it keeps going out of my head :D

It's really cheap (3.50