How was 2008 for you reading wise?

~Andrea~

I had an awful book year 2008

The whip and the warlance by JT Edson

Christine by Stephen King

Foxtrot Oscar by Charlie Owen

Touching from a Distance by Deborah Curtis(non fiction)

and I'm still reading Oliver Twist

I even resorted to Graphic Novels to get me going again.

Mind you I did move to Oz and I'm now a full time stay at home Dad so no reading on the train to work or lunch break or tea break or...you get the picture.I want to read at least 15 books this year, some jump from 4 and a half!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been pondering the question of what kind of reading year 2008 was for me, and

finally (ta da!) can answer....

Blinking awful to actually get to read anything properly, but pretty good in terms of

getting hold of books that are now on my TBR 2009 pile!

2008 wasnt a good year for reading for me, mainly because of uni, and the guilt i got from reading a book that wasnt for my course, i did manage to read 7 from what i remember.... not including books for uni and 2 at the beginning of the year and 3 in the summer, i hope to read LOTS more in 2009 1 down already....

Edited by chrysalis_stage
read more than i remembered

Hm, 2008. How it seems so long ago. :lol: I don't really know how good it was for me, because I never made any lists or anything. What I will say was that I got a lot, and I mean a lot, of books read on holiday! :lol:

2008 was a very bad year for me reading wise. I think I only managed to read 4 books, one of them was a Ghengis Khan biography and another was Nikki Sixx Heroin Diaries.

I did manage to finish my Selected Stories by Edgar Allan Poe though.

A new year and a new me, I have seriously cut back on my drinking pursuits and plan this year to re-discover the love for books that I used to have. I plan to read a few classics this year as well as books that are recommended on here, starting with the Reading Circle choice for February.

2009 should be a good year!

I didn't make any reading lists or anything so I don't remember much. But I did discover Twilight in 2008. And Double Cross came out. So it wasn't too bad! :lol:

Ah, of course, Twilight! Certainly a discovery for 2008 that was good. :lol:

What did you think of this? This is on my 'to buy' list - I really enjoyed Slash so i'm sure I will enjoy this as well. :lol:

I read Heroin Diaries and loved it! the content is intriguing. The world of drugs and rock and roll is not anything I can relate to but he described it painfully real in his journal entries. I felt like I was living his life. And to top it off, the book is just esthetically gorgeous! Glossy coloured pages, i loved it! :lol:

I read Heroin Diaries and loved it! the content is intriguing. The world of drugs and rock and roll is not anything I can relate to but he described it painfully real in his journal entries. I felt like I was living his life. And to top it off, the book is just esthetically gorgeous! Glossy coloured pages, i loved it! :lol:

I couldn't agree more. I'm a big Rock fan and grew up loving Motley Crue, I have Dirt (the biography) but Nikki Sixx Heroin Diaries is so personal and quite sobering to read. The CD that accompanies it is well worth a listen too.

I've bought Slash but have not read it yet, have you read Watch it Bleed, The Gun's N' Roses Story yet Nici76 or whitegold?

I couldn't agree more. I'm a big Rock fan and grew up loving Motley Crue, I have Dirt (the biography) but Nikki Sixx Heroin Diaries is so personal and quite sobering to read. The CD that accompanies it is well worth a listen too.

I've bought Slash but have not read it yet, have you read Watch it Bleed, The Gun's N' Roses Story yet Nici76 or whitegold?

I enjoyed the cd! The idea that a book has a soundtrack is just insanely awesome! haha

I've been wanting to buy and read Slash but just haven't gotten around to it. Heard it was a good read. I haven't read Watch You Bleed, is it worth reading?

I had a lot of stress in 2008 being bullied in my new job throughout the summer made me withdrawn and even more depressed. When I left the job in September and moved into the hostel I began reading again.

mainly Pop Music autobiographies but I did discover Peter Robinson and started reading more Ian Rankin. I think 2009 will be the year I discover more new writers.

2008 was a great book year for me and I read some of my favorite books of all time. The best of the books I read would be Watchmen, A Million Little Pieces, My Friend Leonard, Jpod, Deception Point, The Da Vinci Code, and The Sirens of Titan. The worst book for me was the Fellowship of the Ring mainly because I couldn't get into it. Its going to be hard to top that year.

2008 wasn't a bad year for me but it could have been better. There were some books that fell by the wayside that I'm hoping to pick up this year.

The ones that stood out for me last year were the three Simon Serailler books by Susan Hill:

The Various Haunts of Men

The Pure in Heart

The Risk of Darkness

she has also written another one in the series (name escapes me) so I shall need to pick that up as well.

This is a detective series she has written but it is more in the Ruth Rendell psychological style thriller rather that straight whodunnits. Very well written but they do need to be read in order.

I think they would make good TV fodder.