How was 2008 for you reading wise?

~Andrea~

I've had a great year so far:

I started off well with The Stand (Stephen King) which I loved. Other highlights include

The Ghost Writer - John Harwood

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J K R

This Sweet Sickness - Patricia Highsmith.

The Day of the Triffids - Wyndham

I also did well getting stuck into a bit of non-fiction which was a goal for the year. I really enjoyed:

Dinner with Mugabe - Heidi Holland

The Mind of God - Paul Davies

Top read of the year has to be the Highsmith. Absolutely fab. Can't wait to read more by her.

Disappointments were The Virgin Suicides - Jeffery Eugenides

I was most surprised by Bridget Jones the edge of Reason - Helen Fielding which I really didn't expect to enjoy at all, but really liked.

So, how was it for you?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a good year overall. I discovered some wonderful books: All Quiet on the Western Front (Erich Maria Remarque), Betty Blue (Philippe Dijan) and Mudbound (Hillary Jordan) were the best books I have read this year. There have been numerous books which I have enjoyed, but too many to list here!

However, as always, there have been a couple of ones I haven't liked. Working Knowledge (Petr Kral) and The Almost Moon (Alice Sebold) are a couple that immediately spring to mind, but I can't complain - there have been far more good than bad.

Well, I've gone through an awful lot this year, so I've really slowed down and now that the festive season is fast approaching I'm finding that my mind is harder to distract. However, of what I have read, most of it's been quite good.

The funniest:

Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison

Dancing In My Nuddy Pants by Louise Rennison

And That's When It Fell Off In My Hand by Louise Rennison

Stop in The Name Of Pants by Louise Rennison

The best:

The Sixth Wife by Jean Plaidy

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

I, Coriander by Sally Gardner

Waves by Sharon Dogar

It's been a slow year this year. Hoping to read more in 2009. Of what I've read I think it would be difficult to choose an overall top book. Whilst I have not quite finished Score by Jilly Cooper I do think it would have to feature somewhere in the list.

I've been chain reading this year. I have not been without a book - one always comes with me in my handbag. (it's a big bag:blush:). I think my favourites were the two by Robert Alexandra: The Kitchen Boy and Rasputin's Daughter, they both stayed me for a long time afterwards.

I hope to keep it up next year too! I've certainly got enough to keep me out of mischief.

I've managed to read more than in 2007 but not quite reached my target of 50 :roll:.

Books which stood out for me this year are:

Water For Elephants by Sarah Gruen

Footprints In The Sand by Sarah Challis

Confessions of An Ugly Stepsister - Gregory Maguire

Isles/Rizzoli series - Tess Gerritsen

New authors discovered:

Tess Gerritsen, Linda Gillard & Sam Hayes

Here's to 2009 and hitting the 50 target :lol:

I've read less than ever before this year, but there have been some great reads in there including:

Terry Pratchett - Nation - 10/10

Stuart Macbride - Flesh House - 9/10

Mario Puzo - The Godfather - 9/10

John Boyne - The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - 9/10

Stef Penney - The Tenderness of Wolves - 8/10

Pierre Choderlos de Laclos - Les Liaisons Dangereuses - 8/10

Kelley Armstrong - Exit Strategy - 8/10

Terry Pratchett - Making Money - 8/10

Christopher Brookmyre - Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks - 8/10

Ben Elton - Blind Faith - 8/10

Simon Scarrow - Centurion - 8/10

Kelley Armstrong - Personal Demon - 8/10

Marie Mongan - Hypnobirthing - 8/10

Stuart Macbride - Sawbones (novella) - 8/10

Ben Mezrich - Bringing Down the House: How Six Students Took Vegas for Millions - 8/10

It's been quite a good year for me book wise. I've been keeping a book journal for the first time ever. At the start of the year I set myself a target of reading 50 books by the end of the year and I'm 2 away :lol: - although this does include 4 plays I've read for uni.

A few of my favourites include:

Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn :P - Stephenie Meyer.

The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory.

The Virgin Suicides - Jeffrey Eugenides.

The Hours - Michael Cunningham.

No Time For Goodbye - Linwood Barclay.

Addition - Toni Jordan.

Notes On A Scandal - Zoe Heller.

I also discovered some authors I've enjoyed:

Sophie Kinsella.

Debbie Macomber.

Marian Keyes.

I also managed to finish The Notebook which made me happy :roll:

^ You have had an excuse Kell.

I've been introduced to a fair few new authors myself and have enjoyed reading a fair amount of books this year.

On the downside, when my computer crashed the other week, I did lose my book list. The list that I had been keeping with the title and author of every book I've read for the last few years and me being the complete dumbwit that I am didn't have a backup. Luckily I do have the first half of it printed out in hard copy form, but the rest is lost forever and is something that I'm really annoyed at myself about. I've since bought a memory stick specifically for my book list!

I've read less than ever before this year, but there have been some great reads in there including:

blue.JPG

Terry Pratchett - Nation - 10/10

Stuart Macbride - Flesh House - 9/10

Mario Puzo - The Godfather - 9/10

John Boyne - The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - 9/10

Stef Penney - The Tenderness of Wolves - 8/10

Pierre Choderlos de Laclos - Les Liaisons Dangereuses - 8/10

Kelley Armstrong - Exit Strategy - 8/10

Terry Pratchett - Making Money - 8/10

Christopher Brookmyre - Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks - 8/10

Ben Elton - Blind Faith - 8/10

Simon Scarrow - Centurion - 8/10

Kelley Armstrong - Personal Demon - 8/10

Marie Mongan - Hypnobirthing - 8/10

Stuart Macbride - Sawbones (novella) - 8/10

Ben Mezrich - Bringing Down the House: How Six Students Took Vegas for Millions - 8/10

That last book about the students who took vegas for millions, was it really that good?

I've read:

I can make you rich - Paul Mckenna

All of the available Martina Cole titles

An illustrated guide of the UK canals - Boring I know but I enjoyed it

biffo

This years reading has been very up and down. I only managed to finish 23 books. Most of the below mentioned were read in the first half of the year.

Highlights have been:

Bag of Bones ~ Stephen King

The Book of Lost Things ~ John Connolly

The Favoured Child ~ Phillipa Gregory

The House at Riverton ~ Kate Morton

Jane Eyre ~ Charlotte Bronte

No Time for goodbye ~ Linwood Barclay

A piece of cake ~ Cupcake Brown

Pillars of the Earth ~ Ken Follett

Slash (autobiography)

The Taken ~ Sarah Pinborough

The Vampires Kiss ~ Raven Hart

The Vampires Betrayal ~ Raven Hart

Angles watching over me ~ Jacky Newcombe

Sepulchre ~ Kate Mosse (still reading)

Edited by Nici
Added a bit

I've read 42 books this year.

My top 3 are:

What Was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn

Worldwide Adventures in Love by Louise Wener

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Most disappointing was the Blackest Bird by Joel Rose

Numbers wise, my years are getting worse for reading, having the girls. Next year I'll be lucky if I read anything, but I have read some different books, such as a A Small Part of History,as well as some favourites and classics. There have been thought provoking reads and one or two not very good ones.

I have a few ideas for types of books I haven't read before and would like to, so i might get round to organising that next year.

On the downside, when my computer crashed the other week, I did lose my book list. The list that I had been keeping with the title and author of every book I've read for the last few years and me being the complete dumbwit that I am didn't have a backup. Luckily I do have the first half of it printed out in hard copy form, but the rest is lost forever and is something that I'm really annoyed at myself about. I've since bought a memory stick specifically for my book list!

Aaah nightmare.

I forgot to say - I'll have read 31 -32 books I think by the end of the year, which was way over my target of 20 :lol:

I haven't read too much this year, Im hoping 2009 will be better.

Some books that stood out this year:

Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

Fight Club and Choke by Chuck Palahniuk

The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx

The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling

For One More Day by Mitch Albom

2008 has been a great reading year for me. I've discovered some great new authors and since joining here my desire to read different genres is growing. I've got a book about Buddhism on my wishlist and I'm actually reading an autobiography at the min ... never thought that would happen! :lol:

My favourite discoveries this year were the Jane Rizzoli/Maura Isles series by Tess Gerritsen and the Jessica Balzano/Kevin Byrne series by Richard Montanari (if you liked Gerritsen you'll like Montanari too :P)

I've also decided to give the whole re-reading lark a go, didn't think there would be much point, but as I recognise familiar authors and titles I've read years ago I've found myself thinking 'Oh yeah .. I must read that again.'

Roll on 2009 .. who knows what that will bring. I might even start reading the classics!! :roll:

2008 was an absolutely crazy year for me, so I didn't end up reading as much as I would have liked. There were several stand-outs, though, from the books I did get to:

God of Small Things, by Arundhati Roy (one of the most beautifully written books I've ever read)

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

A Separate Peace by John Knowles

Ways of Dying by Zakes Mda

My goal for 2009 is 52 books--one per week. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

2008 was a sucky reading year for me. Thats why I decided to track down a book forum - to encourage me to engage more with my reading hobby!!!

Oh it will definately do that! Trouble is you get so addicted to the site you end up reading less while your TBR pile and your wishlist grow!!

You have been warned ...:lol:

My goal for 2009 is 52 books--one per week. Keeping my fingers crossed!!

I'd love to do that too, but I doubt it'll happen considering I'm currently lucky to finish a book the same month I start it - LOL!

I think I`ve read on average, one book per month this year, which I know doesn`t sound much! Compared to 2007 when I`d completely lost my reading mojo and probably barely managed two reads, I think it`s quite good! :P Like Charm since joining BCF, I`ve discovered new (to me anyway) authors, Tess Gerritsen being one, and I am more willing to give different genres a go, as some of the reviews I read on here make me want to dash out and find these new books. :lol: So I`m really looking forward to 2009 and upping my read numbers some more.

:roll:

Since joining here in May I've read 70 books and put several down as I wasn't enjoying them - however I was off sick all summer so I had plenty of time to read. So this has been a good year for me :lol: I would like to hope next year will be the same in terms of reading but I'm not so sure...

So far this year I've read 72 books. My favorites were:

To Say Nothing of the Dog - Connie Willis <--- the book that made me discover Connie Willis which is one of my favorite authors so far (I've also read her Doomsday Book and Passage, looking forward to get my hands on Lincoln's Dreams)

The Quincunx - Charles Palliser <--- I was "wow-ed" by this book, by its complexity and its Dickens-like style

Admit One: A Journey Into Film - Emmett James <--- a very fun and captivating book

The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory <--- yet another author whom I enjoyed discovering and who's now among my favorites (I've also read her The Constant Princess and The Boleyn Inheritance)

The Book of Lost Things - John Connolly <-- loved its world of twisted fairytales

Twilight and the rest of the series - Stephenie Meyer

A special mention goes to:

Out of Africa - Isak Dinesen <--- surprinsingly so not like the movie

First Blood - David Morell <---- also surprisingly not like the movie (the first in the Rambo series) especially because

Rambo dies in the end

, which mightily amused me given that it's the first in a series of four, sharing the same main character

Wow, I've lost count of the amount of books I've read this year and I've still got 30+ on my TBR pile! :lol:

The books that stand out from this year though, are:

Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer

Double Cross by Malorie Blackman

Harry Potter :P

The Five People You Meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom

The Last To Know by Melissa Hill

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

Lots of Adele Parks, Dorothy Koomson and Ceceilia Ahern books!

Overall it's been a pretty great reading year for me. I've got lots I want to read for 2009 too so that will hopefully be a similar year reading wise!!

:roll:

Disappointments/terrible reads?

All the Psychology textbooks I've been forced to read

Secret lives of Pippa Lee - I rushed it to finish it, not for me!

Umm...

And there's probably more but I may have forgotten them :P