What was for lunch?

Michelle

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chicken and stuffing barmcakes

What exactly is a barmcake? They used to mention them frequently in Corrie so I'm guessing it's a Northern thing?

I took the children to Little Chef for lunch (their choice) and had a burger and chips. :lol:

What exactly is a barmcake? They used to mention them frequently in Corrie so I'm guessing it's a Northern thing?

A bread roll, teacake, bap, cob are some of the other names for a barmcake.

ftira with fresh cheeslets (gbejniet friski)

You did it again as I had to go and look to see what it was:

Using first principles, a ftira is an oven-baked bun-shaped bread whose diameter can vary between 5 to 15 cm. It has a thick dark crust and a deliciously soft white centre which Maltese call the qalba, i.e. the heart. In a Gozitan ftira although the dough is similar and is baked in the same manner, the shape is flattened, has an approximately 7cm diameter and is topped with fish, vegetables or both. No mozzarella is used, however, the recipe uses quite a fair amount of olive oil.

I appreciate that you are interested enough! Muggles, ftira is really delicious, there's nothing quite like it. In summer esp, near the sea, we usually coat it in kunserva (sort of a tangy tomato paste) and drizzle in some olive oil, some salt and pepper, and then put olives, anchovies, tuna, pickled onions and capers inside....mmmmmm. It is to die for!

Today I will have ftira with ham, cheese and fresh tomato.